Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #1 
JustKeepSwimming

Hand feeding tips?

I've been using tiny little pellets that sink after awhile. Sometimes Ponyboy (my betta) sees them, sometimes he doesn't. I have to do them one at a time, to make sure there's as little waste as possible. Still though, he frequently misses them and leaves them to rot, forcing me to dig the tiny things out. Not to mention I never know whether he's full or not without wasteing a few pellets.
So frustrating.
I've heard of handfeeding, and it sounds wonderful! Can anyone tell me what kind of food (specific brands are always nice) and tips for actual feeding time? Ponyboy's the tiniest bit timid, so how should I introduce him to the concept?
JustKeepSwimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #2 
Sakura8

I know some people put the food on the tip of a toothpick. Just make sure it's a blunt toothpick. But generally, a good rule of thumb for feeding is a little at a time. Unless your pellets are micropellets (about the size of a grain of sand), Ponyboy probably only needs 2 pellets at a time, fed 2-3 times a day. You can also supplement this with frozen or freeze-dried foods like bloodworms. While kinda gross, these foods are easier to hold in your fingers and might encourage Ponyboy to eat from your hand. Once he learns your hand over the water means food, he'll be more likely to eat from your hand. Another tip to help Ponyboy find his food is to track his movements and try and drop the pellet in in front of him. You may have to poke it around a little to keep it in front of him, though.

Offhand, I would suggest feeding just 2 pellets and see if his food-spying skills improve.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #3 
Tisia

I use some wooden chopsticks for some frozen stuff. I usually try to drop it right in front of them, but I also sometimes use the chopsticks to poke at the water near where the food is if my fish aren't paying enough attention, lol (though sometimes they get too busy biting the chopstick to notice the food I'm trying to show them)
you could also get a turkey baster to help suck up missed food. like this kind
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #4 
Echo

i use a pair of blunt tweezers for my fins. Roxie took some getting used to it, but now she comes tearing over when she hears me tapping them on the side of her tank. Louie doesn't even wait for the food to hit the water anymore.. he sees those tweezers and he's airborne. Zen tries to eat the tweezers, and Elvis won't eat his bloodworm without tweezers. next he's going to demand i drape a towel over my arm like a Matre'd and pluck the worm off a silver platter before presenting it for his inspection
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
i use a pair of blunt tweezers for my fins. Roxie took some getting used to it, but now she comes tearing over when she hears me tapping them on the side of her tank. Louie doesn't even wait for the food to hit the water anymore.. he sees those tweezers and he's airborne. Zen tries to eat the tweezers, and Elvis won't eat his bloodworm without tweezers. next he's going to demand i drape a towel over my arm like a Matre'd and pluck the worm off a silver platter before presenting it for his inspection
Haha, your bettas crack me up. Should you ever have to play maitre'd, I want a picture.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #6 
nel3

have you ever tried to stick the food to the tank wall and leave half the food sticking in the water? the water should hold the top half of the food on the tank wall above the water line. works fine with me on blood worms, its less likely to fall as fast than dropping it front of the fish.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #7 
Punki

I dip the tip of my clean finger into their tank water, and then into their little pellets and get a couple on my finger then hold that over the water. They usually notice, swim up, if scared ill put my finger on the water surface and let one go in and if they grab that they usually jump for the second one.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #8 
Tisia

I got one of my boys to bite my finger doing that, felt funny, lol
Old 06-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #9 
Punki

lol one of my girls did that too, she hung for a second then ran off embarrassed at her piggyness.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #10 
Tisia

Sven kind of half swam off, but he's too much of a pig to leave when there's a chance of food, lol. he's actually attempted to jump over his little feeding ring a couple of times when he's thought there was food on the other side of it, he's such a spaz, lol