Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #1 
Rinzy

Exclamation help! what is wrong with my betta?

I've had him for a month or so and this morning he had discoloration on his fins starting at the base of his tail. I thought it might be fin rot but from what I've read online that seems to start at the edges and deteriorate inward. He still has all his fins - they are just turning grey. Here is some pics - first picture is him healthy from last week.

sick -

I showed the guy at the fish store the pictures and he said he's never seen that before and sold me "betta fix" I'm not sure that is what I need and he didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about. any help on this is appreciated.
note* I have my betta in a 3 gallon tank with a heater and filter. I change his water once a week or more and use water conditioner.
I'm really worried now as I took those pictures 7 hours ago and now the discoloration has spread to the ends of his fins. He is just laying on the bottom of the tank and occasionally will do a little swim around.
Rinzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #2 
HayrideHaunter

could you fill out the sticky thats posted on this part of the forum? most people cant tell much without that information =)
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #3 
Rinzy

I just took some pictures - these are 7 hours after the initial pictures I posted - it is spreading fast.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #4 
Rinzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayrideHaunter View Post
could you fill out the sticky thats posted on this part of the forum? most people cant tell much without that information =)
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78f
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 70%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?100% water change - added BettaFix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure. I've had him a month - purchased from pet store
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #5 
Silverfang

wow, uhm, not sure, but that looks like some really advanced rot. You said that change happened in 7 hours? I'm no expert, I would ask oldfishlady (ofl) she is the expert on all things betta. For now do daily 100% water changes. You might need to put him in a smaller container just for the ease of changing water.

Edit: I've never dealt with fin rot, but I've never heard of it progressing so rapidly. I sure hope someone can help.

Last edited by Silverfang; 06-08-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

I am not an expert but I think if it were fin rot, the fins would be jagged/raggidy looking.

My HM has a funny coloring around his front fins - the ones that hang down by his face, but it hasn't progressed and he has been like that for months. I dont know if its the same thing, and its kind of a greenish gold color.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #7 
Silverfang

This might sound odd, but it looks almost like he's being burned and it's spreading. The discoloured part looks like burnt paper, ashy grey. Again I say I have never dealt with fin rot, but whatever that is can't be healthy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #8 
Punki

Whoa, ive never seen something like this. I agree, contact oldfishlady on here, if anyone knew id think she would cause thats moving FAST =[ good luck
*bump*
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #9 
Rinzy

I moved him to a smaller container to make water changes easier and his fins are now starting to split in the areas that appear "burned". This is progressing so quickly I don't know if he's got a chance :(
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #10 
Sakura8

But what could burn him so fast? I've never even heard of ammonia burns doing this . . . Wow. I'm so sorry, this is . . . weird. If he begins to suffer from this, please, let us know right away. We'll help you. But this . . . the only mention of a burn like this is from heaters. Did he brush up against his heater, perhaps get his tail stuck near it?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote