Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #1 
ROSSELLA1

Healing?

Hi,
My betta has finrot. How will I know if/when he is healing?
ROSSELLA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Rossella. Can you fill out the sticky for us? Just click on the link. This will help us help you.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #3 
ROSSELLA1

No problem. Let me know what I'm doing wrong. If I'm doing anything wrong, it's not intentional; I want what's best for my betta.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Somewhere between 75 and 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None right now. However, I am new and was told that females and males could be put in together. I bought a female and they nipped at and chased each other around so I moved her to a five gallon. I know now that females and males can't get along.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bettamin Tropical Medley from Tetra
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually once a day. Every once in a while I might give an extra pinch as a treat. Today I gave him a mealworm to try but he just picked at it

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Amquel Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: not sure
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:6.2-6.8
Hardness:150
Alkalinity: 40

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins have started deteriorating. About 40-50% of his hind find is gone.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Monday, two days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes;
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Don't know; I just got him 2-3 weeks ago.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not Sure.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #4 
ROSSELLA1

Oh, sorry. I forgot to put the treatment it's Jungle Binox.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #5 
bettafish15

Does he have black/brown at the edges of his fins? If not, he could be tailbiting, which is caused by stress, boredom, or the fish just has a bad habit. XD If it's tailbiting the best you can do if give him clean water to prevent finrot.

Finrot treatment: Clean water with AQ salt 1 teaspoon per gallon with 100% water changes everyday using premixed-salted water in a small QT container floated in the tank to keep warm for no more than 10 days should do it. ^^
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #6 
Sakura8

You might want to consider getting him some pellets to eat. They're easier to feed and easier for him to eat. You can feed 2 pellets 3 times a day or 2 pellets 2 times a day and a treat.

Bettafish is right. If there are black edges, that's a definite sign of fin rot. Otherwise a lot of bettas seem to be tailbiters.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #7 
ROSSELLA1

Yes, he does have black at the edges. Can Aquarium salt really do that much help? I mean I'm not exaggerating when I say 30-40% of his tail is gone.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #8 
Sakura8

It will help stop the rot. Salt will also add electrolytes to the water which will help your betta produce his slime coat. A healthy slime coat will help him fight off infections etc. If you feel like you need more heavy duty treatment you can try Bettafix or Melafix. Put him in a small QT container for whatever treatment you choose, it will make water changes much easier than in a 10g. Some bettas have reacted poorly to Bettafix and Melafix so if your betta starts to act distressed, get him out of the water immediately.

I hope he gets better soon. Poor guy. :(
Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #9 
ROSSELLA1

Thank you so much! If he jumps out into the regular tank should I just keep putting him back? Also, hows everything else in the tank look so far?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #10 
Sakura8

What kind of QT container are you planning on putting him in? You can put him in a small container and float it in the regular tank but as you said, he may jump out a lot. If you can, try and get a 1g goldfish bowl or tank that is covered. If it is 1g, it will be easier to measure out the salt/medication. You will have to change at least 50% of the water every day but in a 1g, it will go by very fast. You can put the heater from his regular tank in there so he stays warm. Does your female have a heater in her 5g?

Everything else in your tank looks good. When he gets back in his regular 10g, you might want to try and keep the temperature stable at 78-80 degrees farenheit. Otherwise, good.