Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #1 
PhilipPhish

My fish and the Plans!

Well hello!

hahaha. Anyway, so yeah, I will tell you about my 2 betta fish, my plans,ect.

So the to current Betta fish are
Philip-Male Veil, Multicolored, wild type.
Tigger-Male Veil, multicolored, like pink,orange,peach,and white with clear fins.

Tigger & Philip are both males and they live happily. Tigger is recently bought and lives in an unfiltered tank on my front room coffee table until I upgrade the tank.Philip is around 3-4 years old and lives in a filtered fish tank on my desk in my room. Philip eats everyday while Tigger eats one a week. Philip is large and in charge and my baby scaley-bubby-buzzer-boo! Tigger is small and around a year old. I bought him from PETCO for around $4.00. I bought Philip from our local pet store for about $3.00. I plan to create a Betta room in my house when I move out. I hope to purchase a female Veil and a King Betta, along with a Crowntail and Halfmoon male.
Severel new Betta will be purchased in the next year or so.
They will be housed in my bedroom on a large shelf,cared for,and fed to their needs.

I hope to purchase some of the fallowing:
Several tanks
plants
gravel
live plants
live food(?)
Divider(?)

I really would like to get a King and Crowntail male...Kings are huge.

I would really like to know about these "Giant Betta Fish". If anyone owns or knows about them, please contact me!

anyway, there you go!

If you have any suggestions, let me know! I love learning new stuffs about my fish!

~Philip & Tigger
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #2 
laughing

Why does Tigger eat once a week?

And I think you have a nice plan. A "king" or "giant" will need about 14 gallons or more. I have seen them be 3 inches at a few months old. They WILL need their space!

As for the other, I think individual tanks would be best. Seeing you are looking to spoil them, divided tanks don't always work, so giving them their own 5 gallons would make them very happy! If you can, 10 gallons for each of them would be awesome.

You should look into getting a 40 gallon sorority/community tank to add to the mix, it'd be very beautiful, and in there, you could easily have an all-betta tank and have 17 females!

The shelving unit will need to hold a lot of weight. A 5 gallon tank is easily 50lbs... So if you have say 4, it will need to hold nearly 250lbs to safely hold all of them.

You should also try to get them all planted, to give them the best possible homes! ^^

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #3 
DarkMoon17

I would also like to know why Tigger is only fed once per week? My 4 year old is fed twice per day and doesn't have any metabolism issues.

Are your tanks heated? Bettas require temperatures over 78* since they are tropical fish.

Good luck with your plans!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #4 
PhilipPhish

I recently got Tigger. He has only been with me for 7 days and at Petco, they only feed their fish once a week. and really, they are only supposed to eat once a week. Philip is on a different setting.

He loves cold water and eats up to 5 times a day.

I will most defiantly look into a bigger tank for Tigger. Philip was in the same tank for about a year or 2 and he did fine, but he has gotten old, so I had to get him a nicer tank. I think the sorority/community tank might be a bit to much at the moment. My mom doesn't want me to have any more Betta fish...but oh well huh? If we move into a bigger house, I may consider getting more fish and larger tanks for all of them.

Philip is in a 5 gal. tank right now and he is spoiled rotten, but I'm pretty sure if I upgraded his tank and fed him Brine Shrimp,or what ever it is that the pros feed their Betta, and got him lots of plants and some pretty new rocks, he would like it a lot!
For my Birthday,or Christmas, I may be getting a large tank so I can breed a pair of crowntail, and Philip.

I really want a Philip baby before he kicks the bucket though. I'd probably keep 3-4 of the girls and make a sorority/community tank.
I'm trying to convince my mom to let me enjoy my little fishies in the best way possible(fish tanks!), but we don't have a lot of room in our house ever since my half sister moved in. If she ever goes back to her moms house, I'm going to convert her room into my temporary Betta room!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #5 
PhilipPhish

Oh! and Philip and his tank are my avatar thing *points to picture* He's quite happy!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #6 
DarkMoon17

Ok... Firstly, your are starving/way over feeding your bettas. They should be fed 2-3 times per day, not once per week and not 5 times per day. Pet stores feed them once per week to save money and keep the water clean, they are only taking advantage of fish to make money, they are not treating fish properly, so please don't follow their example.

Bettas are tropical fish. They need temperatures over 78* to be healthy and happy. Though they might appear "happy" at room temp, they will suffer from it in the long run since it lowers their immune system and makes it more difficult for them to properly metabolize food (imagine living in a cold bath tub your entire life or living outside all winter without a coat). Since you are already planning on upgrading their tanks, get them some heaters, they will thank you for it.

I think you have a lot of research to do about basic betta care and etc before you should consider breeding bettas. It is not something you do on a whim... We will help you, but you really need to take the initiative to take proper care of your current buddies first before you even think of taking on 100+ delicate little fry. Fry require a lot of attention, more than adult fish (daily water changes, feedings 3 times per day of newly hatched brine shrimp and worms, then 100% water changes every day when jarred, they also need heated water or they will die...)...

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-09-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #7 
PhilipPhish

I have done lots of research, that's why I got Philip a new tank. I put warm water in it, and he didn't like it. He's very happy in his water and he swims around like any normal fish. Tigger has only been with me for 4 days, so he hasn't gotten the feel of it. I feed him in the morning, when Philip eats, and at night. He eats in the morning, but I have to scoop out the 3 pellets I give him at night.

Philips a big boy, twice the size of any Betta I've ever owned, and he has a very high metabolism. He eats 3 pellets 4 times a day.

I have had Philip for 3 years now. The only problem I've ever had was when my sister Killed Red and injured him. He isn't normal, I'll tell you that. None of my pets,or family, are normal.
Philip lives in my room, he watches TV with me and he dances to my music. He is a strange fish.

I've owned Betta fish since I was a little kid and I know how to take care of them. I haven't had a new fish since Red, and that was over 2 years ago. Tigger is doing quite fine considering he has lived on my Coffee table for the past 4 days.

I'm fully aware of what the fry need. I can provide all of those things. I probably won't be breeding fish for another year or so. I do know how to care for my fish. It doesn't seem like it, but I do. I've owned rabbits, fish, dogs, cats. Betta fish. I've owned Betta fish since I was 4.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #8 
DarkMoon17

I don't mean to sound like I am attacking you, I am just concerned for your fish. We've all owned a lot of animals but that doesn't mean we know how to care for them properly (I work at a vet clinic, I see it everyday).

What type of food are you giving them? Healthy fish should eat like pigs (but 4 pellets 5 times a day is too much... especially as he ages since his metabolism will slow and if he continues to eat that much he could get bloated)

If you did not allow him time to adjust properly to the warmer water then of course he wouldn't like it. Since the warm water would just cool down to below room temp again anyway that whole ordeal would have been stressful for him. Rapid fluctuations in water temp are stressful and harmful to fish. What temp was the water you added? What temp is his tank normally at? Do you have a thermometer for his tank? You can only decide that he doesn't like warm water if you put a heater in his tank and let him get used to it for a few weeks. Changes can be hard for fish, but heated water is a change for the better.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #9 
PhilipPhish

I feed him HBH Betta Bites. He eats 3 pellets up to 3-4 times a day. as of right now his tank is about 68 degrees and he is swimming about, blowing bubbles.

I have a thermometer on the outside of his tank. The water we added was about 70 degrees. he did OK for a little while, he laid in his tree and sat by the filter and slept. he was really lazy in the warm water and stopped eating for like 3 days. then the water dropped back to my room temp(about 60 degrees) and he started swimming a eating and what not.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #10 
DarkMoon17

HBH Pellets;
Quote:
Ingredients
Fish meal, wheat flour, soy flour, fish oil, brewers dried yeast, squid meal, soy lecithin, krill meal, l-ascorbic acid phosphate (source of vitamin C),
What is the protein content? Looking at the ingredients, I'd say you should change to a different food. You want a food that has real fish products as the first few ingredients, not wheat or other grains.

My current stand on feeding is:
Split feedings into 2 meals, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
Give a staple betta pellet with at least 40% protein. The first ingredients should be real meat products, NOT wheats. Depending on the size of the pellet, give 2-4 pellets at each feeding. If you feed smaller pellets, you might be able to safely offer 4-8 but most of these pellets are only sold online (ie atison's betta pellets).

You should supplement your betta's diet with frozen and/or live food. Freeze dried foods are not good for bettas and should never be given except as an occasional treat. Bettas will much prefer frozen food to freeze tried and frozen foods are extremely good for them. You should offer them a variety of frozen or live foods such as Bloodworms, glassworms, daphnia, brineshrimp, tupliflex, live wingless fruit flies, live mosquito larva and live black worms.
My feeding routine is:
8 Atison's betta pro pellets in the AM (they are tiny pellets so this is not over feeding, however most people would be offering 2-4 pellets in the AM) and then I rotate between frozen bloodworms, glassworms and brine shrimp in the PM. They always get their pellets and a frozen (or live food) every day.

As for the temp, water is always about 3 degrees cooler than room temp. So if your room temp is 60* like you said, then I am very concerned for them. Temps under 65* are extremely detrimental for bettas. They are very sturdy fish but temps that low are just bad. He was most likely stressed by the sudden temp change since there was at least a 5* difference. You should seriously consider getting him an adjustable heater and *slowly* increasing the temp in his tank to 78-80*. I assure you, one he adjust to the new temp, he will love it. Bettas are from Thailand, it is always hot there...
Your other betta would love a heater too. You are obviously interested in the health of your fish.. the aboslute best thing you can do for them is
1) Proper water changes
2) Good food
3) Right temp