Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #1 
Rell30

What are the perfect tank mates for betta fish???

I have one Betta and I have a 15 gallon tank. I change my water once a month nd I do a 50% wc every week. I dnt have a filter because I was told that they we're particularly needed for Betta fish, but of course if I get other fish I will have no choice to get a filter. I am going to get a water heater tomorrow and was thinkin bout grabing some tank mates for my little friend, So does anybody have any suggestions???
Rell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

Hello and welcome to the forum! A filter is always a good thing to have when keeping Betta Fish. I personally lover Cascade power 80 because they have a adjustable water flow notch which come in handy when keeping Bettas as they hate strong water flow...but many on this forum love the Topfin Power Whisper filters. These too are also very nice. Many say filters arent needed when keeping bettas but a heater is a MUST...so you should def. pick one up as soon as possible and set it at at least 78. Bettas can be housed at temps between 78-83 degrees. I house mine in temps around 80 degrees.
Fav. Tanks mates I like are...
Cories- 4 or more in a 15gallon
Platies- Females 4-6 only in a 15 gallon...
keep in mind..these are only my favs.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #3 
Rell30

Thanx for the input! I am definitely goin 2 go get the heater 2mar. and also your fav mates are they easily accessible or will I have 2 search for them? Is it possible to keep also a female betta in such a large tank with my buddy Bluey??? or is it a bad idea like I've heard from a couple people already?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Do you have any live plants....

Without a filter- with or without live plants...good tank mates for a 15gal would be a proper school of corydoras....6-8.....with corydoras you also need soft substrate for their barbels.....

However, with tank mates of any species can present feeding problems since Bettas can be such little pigs when it comes to food...lol......Betta tend to get themselves in trouble from over eating...little buggers....lol.....

IME/O-you don't have to have filters with Bettas and you may or may not need a heater...this depends on your weather and seeing that you are in PA..you will need a heater-good that you plan to pick one up...your goal is to maintain a stable water temp in the 76-80F range...but you will need a thermometer to monitor tank water temp and water temp for water changes....

Other species of fish-male guppies, endlers (but not both) and if you get all males you don't have to worry about over population....being livebearers they can reproduce pretty fast.....lol......lots of tetra species to pick from too...go to your fish shop and look at the fish that you like-write down the name and then research, however, you will need some type of aeration to properly keep some species of fish due to oxygen needs...

And with the added filtration from either live plants or a filter.....you will not need to make 100% water changes and you can establish the nitrogen cycle....

Love to see some pics......and welcome to the forum....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #5 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell30 View Post
Thanx for the input! I am definitely goin 2 go get the heater 2mar. and also your fav mates are they easily accessible or will I have 2 search for them? Is it possible to keep also a female betta in such a large tank with my buddy Bluey??? or is it a bad idea like I've heard from a couple people already?
Yes, they are easily accessible. No, you cannot keep a female with a male. They will fight, and it will end badly.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #6 
Bettalover22

Some bettas get along with almost any community fish were as some have to live by themselves. It all depends on the fishes personalities. And some female bettas can live with males. I have a male & female crowntail together & a male half moon with a female crowntail with no problems. My male crowntail actually got depressed when I took her out so I put her back. But as far as putting other fish with your betta I would try a few neon tetra to start. Theyre cheap (about $1 each) and beautiful, at least if it doesn't work out u won't loose alot of money. And if it does work then I would put some other peaceful fish in the tank.
Bettalover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #7 
Rell30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Do you have any live plants....

Without a filter- with or without live plants...good tank mates for a 15gal would be a proper school of corydoras....6-8.....with corydoras you also need soft substrate for their barbels.....

However, with tank mates of any species can present feeding problems since Bettas can be such little pigs when it comes to food...lol......Betta tend to get themselves in trouble from over eating...little buggers....lol.....

IME/O-you don't have to have filters with Bettas and you may or may not need a heater...this depends on your weather and seeing that you are in PA..you will need a heater-good that you plan to pick one up...your goal is to maintain a stable water temp in the 76-80F range...but you will need a thermometer to monitor tank water temp and water temp for water changes....

Other species of fish-male guppies, endlers (but not both) and if you get all males you don't have to worry about over population....being livebearers they can reproduce pretty fast.....lol......lots of tetra species to pick from too...go to your fish shop and look at the fish that you like-write down the name and then research, however, you will need some type of aeration to properly keep some species of fish due to oxygen needs...

And with the added filtration from either live plants or a filter.....you will not need to make 100% water changes and you can establish the nitrogen cycle....

Love to see some pics......and welcome to the forum....
Im already on the job of getting the heater that will be done tomarrow and when im in the pet store ill check out the fish to see which ones I like, like you suggested. I am in the workings of fixing up the the bettas fish tank right now. I am a new owner and for now hes in a 1.5 Gal bowl with sum gravel and sum plants to keep him happy! I luv my little bluey he always makes me smile wen he swims bac and forth through the plants like the athlete that he is lol
Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #8 
Rell30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettalover22 View Post
Some bettas get along with almost any community fish were as some have to live by themselves. It all depends on the fishes personalities. And some female bettas can live with males. I have a male & female crowntail together & a male half moon with a female crowntail with no problems. My male crowntail actually got depressed when I took her out so I put her back. But as far as putting other fish with your betta I would try a few neon tetra to start. Theyre cheap (about $1 each) and beautiful, at least if it doesn't work out u won't loose alot of money. And if it does work then I would put some other peaceful fish in the tank.
Yes thats also an important factor. I wanted to be able to know what would work best in this situation rather than taking a stab in the dark and wasting hard earned money! lol
Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #9 
Rell30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Yes, they are easily accessible. No, you cannot keep a female with a male. They will fight, and it will end badly.
Thanx
Old 06-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #10 
Rell30

ok so I've done some research on some of the mates you guys talked to me about. I have decided on either neon tetra or guppies. Also I decided to pick up sum snails and/or shrimp or crayfish. I also wanted to put some sucker fish in the tank. Maybe a bristle nosed pleco or the cories, still not sure yet but i think this should be a very healthy and interesting combination of creatures that should provide me with daily joy. If you have any suggestions or critiques they would be greatly appreciated.