Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #1 
flowerslegacy

Question Is my new female pregnant!!

I need your expertise! I just got a new female from the petstore lat night. She was lively at the store, even flaring at the other bettas in their cups. Wonderful personality. However, she hasn't eaten since I got her home. Currently she's in a 2 gal tank, because I'm not done cycling a 10 gal for her permanent home. The 2 gal has a heater and a fluffly plant for her to hide. I even bought a betta log. I bought new food in hopes she was just a picky eater but she just stares at the food and swims away. I've tried blood worms, shrimp and betta bits! Anyway, I checked her out and I can totally see her oviposter. She doesn't look bloated, but it looks like an egg could pop out at any minute! Is she sick or getting ready to release eggs? Any advice would be appreciated!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Female bettas don't "get pregnant" since they are egg layers. Since you've only had your female for 1 day, she's probably still adjusting to her new home. This is normal. Bettas sometimes won't eat eat for several days to a week or more after bringing them home.Just keep an eye on her and keep offering her food. Hopefully she'll settle down and start eating.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #3 
flowerslegacy

Thank you Dramaqueen,

I had a sorority at one time and I never noticed the oviposter. This one is just so obvious. I LOVE bettas and wanted to make sure I was doing right by her. Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're welcome!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

All females always carry eggs. All females show ovi-thingy, some are more obvious than others.
Keep an eye on her. Hope she starts eating soon.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #6 
flowerslegacy

Thanks indjo! Her ovi-thingy was so obvious that I thought she was getting ready to release eggs. Hence the reason why she wasn't eating. Thanks to you and Dramaqueen I now know differently. I'm on day 3 and she's still not eating. At least she looks healthy at this point. Thanks again for your reply!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The white ovipositer protruding at the end of the oviduct usually will stick out more as she fill with eggs....females have unripe eggs throughout their life and will either drop and eat them or leave them on the floor or absorb the unripe eggs on a regular basis.....be aware that you may see changes in the fecal matter or poop after she eats or absorb the eggs...it will often take on a creamy white appearance and this is normal and expected......
Also, sometime when they are full of eggs they may swim with a more tilted appearance...head slightly downward, tail up and this is also normal and expected......
As long as the Betta is otherwise acting and eating normally...nothing to worry about....with yours-I agree, her lack of appetite is most likely related to being new and she needs time to adjust to her new environment......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #8 
flowerslegacy

This Betta Forum is awesome! Thank you Oldfishlady. I have observed her swimming occassionally with her head slightly downward, so now I can stop worrying about that too! Otherwise she's acting normal - looks healthy and generally curious like a normal girl betta. Thanks to the forum I can calm down and I'll just continue to offer her food. I'm hoping my 10 gal will be fully cycled over the next week and I can move her to her new big home. Hopefully all of this won't over stress her. Thanks again!