Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #1 
drsarno

tried some fixes for my bloated fish, need advice

I have a 1.5 year old boy named norbert. He lives in a 2.5 gallon filtered tank. we swap 50% of the water every week.

He had been swimming a little funny for a couple of weeks, and his belly was getting a little larger so I decided to fast him for about 3-4 days. We tried a bit of pea followed by some fasting. Then some daphnia followed by some fasting.

If anything he was only getting more bloated. His activity level is normal, and he fights his mirror daily. he clearly has appetite. I am fairly certain this resulted from me over feeding him as I was spending some more time at home. But I cant just stop feeding him for weeks until he looks better. At least Im uncomfortable with it.

I dropped him in an epson salt bath today for maybe 5 minutes. It was very stressful looking for him. He was breathing very rapidly and I didn't want to kill him while trying to make him better. He did not pass any stool that I saw though.

I attached a picture of him. He has been sitting in his plants in some more awkward positions lately. Here he is more or less vertical and I tried to capture the bulge of his belly.

Any advice will be utmost appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by drsarno; 05-29-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added another photo
drsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #2 
drsarno

Also i think there is some gunk on one of his fins. he seems to fall sometimes when trying to swim upwards, and there is a possible injury or junk growing on his top fin.

maybe i should use an antibiotic, any advice about which ones
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #3 
Creat

If what im looking at is white on his fins its fungus i would get meds for it. However for his bloat i would fast him again but raise his temp to around 80 82ish and add epsom salt 1tsp/gal is how i do it. If you PM OldFishLady she would probably be able to help more though.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #4 
drsarno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
If what im looking at is white on his fins its fungus i would get meds for it. However for his bloat i would fast him again but raise his temp to around 80 82ish and add epsom salt 1tsp/gal is how i do it. If you PM OldFishLady she would probably be able to help more though.
well its not his big fins that Im worried about. They have never had a uniform color. But his top fin (dorsal?) seems a little thickened and possible has a lesion on it. what kind of fungus do you think it look like? I want to make sure to get an antibiotic that covers the bug. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #5 
Creat

it might be an open wound and got infected and swelled up, i would for that use aquarium salt or a gram positive/negative anti bacterial med. however dont use aquarium salt when treating bloated fish, at least thats what i have been told not to do. I personally would treat the bloat first and see if his fin changes it might heal on its own with good clean water, and then treat the swelling secondly.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #6 
nowzem

Yes, I'm afraid that its probably due to your infrequent water changes... You shouldn't use the epsom salt if it causes him distress. I think you should private message Old Fish Lady (a member here) as well. She will be able to advise you if you fill out this information
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Need some more information....

How much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additive used, appetite, how much Epsom salt did you use for the dip....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #8 
turtle10

Just dipping the fish in salt water for 5 minutes won't do anything. You need to keep in the epsom salt water for ten days, changing out the salt water everyday.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #9 
drsarno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Need some more information....

How much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additive used, appetite, how much Epsom salt did you use for the dip....
water changes about 1nce a week. water temp btw 78-82. not real plants. appetite is VERY good. i started feeding him again after not having fed him for approx 10 days while doing a 5 day gram +/- treatment. I have seen no improvement and he only just looks like the bloating may go further down.

Im starting to get concerned its dropsy, even though he is showing no signs of pineconing. should i do another round of antibiotics? He just really isn't swimming normally, and seems to fall if it doesnt sit on on of his plants. The back of him doesnt swim great. he's also a lot jumper than he used to be. when i put up his mirror now, it basically needs to be near the base of the tank if he's going to be able to fight it for more than 1 minute or so. he used to be able to fight it for hours.

Last edited by drsarno; 06-09-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Just dipping the fish in salt water for 5 minutes won't do anything. You need to keep in the epsom salt water for ten days, changing out the salt water everyday.
Not quite true. If you are using aquarium salt to treat a fish for ich, a salt dip is the best way because the parasites fall off in the dip. If they fall off in the tank, it's pointless because they just reproduce and reattach to the fish.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote