Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #1 
Irishdancer

How to test ammonia?

I currently don't have anything to test the ammonia in my fish tank. Today I was at the Petco, and I didn't see anything to test water parameters except for the pH, which I already have. What do you use to test water, and where do you get it? I also have a Petsmart in the area, so I'll be going there tomorrow. Also, what besides ammonia do I need to be testing?
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #2 
bahamut285

Shameless self-promotion: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595

They are probably out of stock, you could ask one of the employees if they ran out or have any in the back
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #3 
newbie32

I have an API Ammonia Liquid Test Kit. Got it at a Petco. About 10 bucks and it will do 130 tests. I'd try Petco again or hit up Petsmart.
That API test is really easy. Put in a certain amount of water. 8 drops of this, 8 drops of that, shake, sit, compare color to chart. Done. : )
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Sometimes it wont say "ammonia" up front. It may say something along the lines of NH4 of NH3 or something similar, I cant remember.

The above is great, I use it, too and its fantastic and easy.
It comes in a blue box, its smallish and has two fish on the front. Petsmart, petcos and most fish stores sell it. Walmarts do not*.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #5 
LeroyTheBetta

If you don't mind ordering things online, try ebay or maybe Drs. Foster & Smith, or UPCO. I haven't actually looked at Foster & Smith, nor UPCO for fish stuff (I used to buy dog supplies from them, though, but not for a few years as I no longer live in the USA). I'm pretty sure Foster & Smith do fishy stuff.

My test kit is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, which contains tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and high-range pH.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #6 
Irishdancer

Thanks everyone, unfortunatley I forgot to check when I was at Petco today, so I'll try those websites first.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote