Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #1 
ectangelo

Do I need to feed my Ghost Shrimp?

I'm not sure if this question goes in this topic, but I have one ghost shrimp (planning on getting 2 more) and I've had him for 4 days. He gotten more sluggish everyday. If I'm feeding my betta pellets, and he eats all of them, does my shrimp get anything to eat?
ectangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #2 
ectangelo

Wow. I just realized how stupid the tread title sounds. I meant to ask whether or not my shrimp was GETTING food!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #3 
Echo

if you're worried, drop a piece of algae wafer in the tank. mine would munch on that if the betta got greedy. not the whole wafer, mind you.. just a piece. those things can make a good-sized mess (ghost shrimp don't eat much).
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #4 
ectangelo

Thanks for the advice! But my new question is: Do they actually eat fish waste and algae?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #5 
Echo

poo? no you'll still have to clean that up. algae? the wafers, yes. i've never given algae a chance to grow in my tanks, so i'm not sure if they'll eat the live stuff. probably, tho.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #6 
ectangelo

Okey dokey! thx!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectangelo View Post
Wow. I just realized how stupid the tread title sounds. I meant to ask whether or not my shrimp was GETTING food!

This just made me lol!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #8 
Ianthe

I don't want to hijack your thread, but would putting some ghost shrimp in our 10 gallon help a recurrent algae issue at all? Or do they not eat enough to make a difference? How many would I need? I have a ten gallon with a few guppies and tetras and it is a CONSTANT algae battle. I believe the issue is my four year old constantly turning/leaving on the light... *sigh*
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

My ghost shrimp isn't a big fan of the algae wafers....Not sure why...but he goes crazy for the sinking shrimp pellets my corydoras eat.....
every now and then I drop a fish flake or two in there and he eats it up...What he doesn't eat the corydoras usually eat.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #10 
Echo

if you're desperate, mystery snails are great little algae vacuums.. but they're also great little poopers. you'll need to clean the water and gravel/substrate more often. and yes, algae thrives in light. i'd hate to say remove the lightbulb, but that's always an option. i have a four-plug power block with a remote control for two of the plugs on my tanks. pop the cord for the light in one of those plugs and keep the remote out of reach.. munchkin will eventually get bored with a light that won't turn on/off on command