Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #1 
MetallicDragon

Could he be experiencing a growth spurt?

So, the past two days my betta, Spaz, has been eating much more than usual. Normally he eats 4 pellets as a maximum, and he takes his time eating them. But since yesterday he has been going into almost a feeding frenzy, eating all four pellets within seconds and then searching for more.
Naturally, I've been giving him a few more since he seems so starving, but at the same time I don't want to keep overfeeding him.
What could be his reason for being so hungry lately? Is this normal behavior? He seems perfectly healthy and I've noticed no changes in his appearance. He's always active so I'm pretty sure he's not sick, but I'd like some advice if it can be given.
Thanks,

Metta
MetallicDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #2 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicDragon View Post
So, the past two days my betta, Spaz, has been eating much more than usual. Normally he eats 4 pellets as a maximum, and he takes his time eating them. But since yesterday he has been going into almost a feeding frenzy, eating all four pellets within seconds and then searching for more.
Naturally, I've been giving him a few more since he seems so starving, but at the same time I don't want to keep overfeeding him.
What could be his reason for being so hungry lately? Is this normal behavior? He seems perfectly healthy and I've noticed no changes in his appearance. He's always active so I'm pretty sure he's not sick, but I'd like some advice if it can be given.
Thanks,

Metta
i would also like to know this. mine's acting the same way. thought i might be different water conditioner but one hour after WC with the usual conditioner hasnt shown any difference so far.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Is Spazz small still? You could be right, it could be a growth spurt. As long as he's active, he should hopefully swim all that food off. Just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get constipated or bloated. I have a feeling Spazz is just a little glutton but just to be on the safe side, watch to see if he ever has any long white things hanging off his stomach or his poops look white and stringy. Then he most likely has parasites and that would explain why he was hungry all the time, as the parasites get all the nutrients. But again, I think Spazz just likes his food. Cute name, too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #4 
nel3

just where would such parasites hang of exactly? the only white i see on mine is the the tips of the pelvic fins and thats the natural fin color. the stomach area is generaly white but no string attached.

im rather confused at the colours that can manifest in my betta. so far the pelvic fins are redder with white tips, anal and caudal fins will most likely turn red. not sure if the white bell is one of them but i think it did have a light bluescales just behind the gills.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #5 
Sakura8

A parasite like a worm would be from his vent directly on his stomach. It's the same place his poo comes from. It's a little hard to see in this pic, but there is a string hanging down from this betta's bloated belly, just to the left of his long ventral fin.

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1306803037

Bettas change colors all the time - actually most every fish changes colors depending on their environment and mood. If your betta isn't very old, it's likely he's still coloring up and changing to his adult coloring.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Check out this thread, especially the pic posted by Echo midway down. You can see how much her betta Elvis changed colors.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=72309
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #7 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
A parasite like a worm would be from his vent directly on his stomach. It's the same place his poo comes from. It's a little hard to see in this pic, but there is a string hanging down from this betta's bloated belly, just to the left of his long ventral fin.

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1306803037

Bettas change colors all the time - actually most every fish changes colors depending on their environment and mood. If your betta isn't very old, it's likely he's still coloring up and changing to his adult coloring.
ty doesnt look like mine has an extra tail on its stomach.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #8 
Sakura8

That's good. By the way, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #9 
MetallicDragon

Thanks for the advice and the welcome. And yes, Spaz is still pretty young. I just picked him up from Walmart a few weeks ago and he's my first Betta, so I figured I'd check just to make sure.
I haven't noticed any signs of parasites thus far, but I'll continue keeping a close eye on him just in case.

Haha, and thanks, my friend and I named him because of his spastic personality and how energetic he was compared to all of the other bettas at the store.
MetallicDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Sounds like Spaz is totally living up to his name, right down to his feeding habits. If he was so energetic at the store, then he must have been pretty healthy for a pet store betta. I think he's off to a good start.