Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #1 
RnB

Help a pair of Betta Newbies out.

So My Girlfriend and I took our relationship to the next level today.... We got a fish. A Betta None the less. His name is Fabio! Cuz he is soo Handsome!

Anyways, the guy at the fish store gave us a 1/2 gallon tank starter set thing. Its a hell of alot better than his little cup, but its still not alot of room. We were planing on Upgrading as soon as financially possible to a Five Gallon Tank. We had our eyes on this Tank. (http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Ecl.../dp/B000260GEC)

Problem is, It had a few bad reviews that seemed like they were coming from Fish tank professionals, (We're talking like a 10 Paragraph essay depicting how this tank is the aquarium of the Devil). It looks really great and I saw some really nice set ups online, but apparently its set up is really bad and an overall waste.

Now, Listen here, We want the best for our Little Fabio. Something with a Light and a filter included that is no less that 10 Gallons, preferably costing no more than 60 dollars. (Lol! Ballin' on a budget.)

Help us out! Thx!!
RnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

I have that tank, and I personally really, really liked it. I can see where "harder core" people might not like it, but for people like you and I, its great.
:) The filter is very good, but you will need to baffle it with some sort of aquarium sponge. I used (at one point) an algae scrubber for mine because they didnt have sponge at my store. The reason you'll need to is because the "waterfall" for the filter is quite strong when its "new", which knocks the poor fish around and makes the water wavy.

You're gonna need a heater, too, btw! :)

But all-in-all, you'll enjoy this tank. I do, and quite a lot!

Btw- the reason some may not like this tank is because many fish simply cant live happily in 5 gallons without some SERIOUS filtration, which this model wont provide. It does a good job for a betta or two, but its not meant for having a school of tetras in it or anything. (Btw- no tank mates in a 5 gallon! :P), so people might complain about that. Lots of fish species like to have a good bunch of buddies, which is why usually, they need 10 gallons or more to be happy.

Thankfully, bettas are grouchy and dont feel that way, hah ;)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #3 
newbie32

I bought my tank at WalMart. It's a 10 gal and came with hood and light, filter, sample food and sample water conditioner. It was about 30 bucks. The 5 gal was around 27 bucks. Obviously went with the 10 gal based on money. My filter stopped working and I have since replaced it with a Tetra Whisper and love it. It was about 20, I think. Then I bought a Tetra heater for about 10. Hate it. Bought a new one off amazon for 20. I wish I had known about this forum long before I ever got my first betta!!!!! Woulda saved me a wee bit of money. My best advice is Walmart for tank and other stores for everything else if you're trying to be on a budget. OH! The tank is aquaculture brand? I think? It's basically the WalMart fish brand.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

First, welcome to the forum & the Wonderful World of Bettas!!! :)

I know in your post you said 10 gals., but the link is to a 5 gal. tank. IF you want to go 5, please consider this tank:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

I own three of them and they are TERRIFIC, IMO, and LOOK bigger than a 5 gal. for some reason.

They come with a great CFL for lighting and a filter that will need to be baffled (a sponge baffle is the way to go, IMO). You will need to purchase gravel/substrate & a heater (25 watt submersible, adjustable is the best - the Elite Mini 25 watt is a good one) and, of course, plants/decorations.

Not all WalMarts carry the tank so if you ARE interested in getting this, I would just have it shipped.

Hope that helps and, again, WELCOME!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #5 
RnB

So We have our new Tank set up for Fabio, he has everything he needs, But we have a few questions. First off, the tank filter throws him around if he gets close to the waterfall, how can I buffet the current, because its pushing him down, and that doesn't seem good for his gills, especially since he swims against it.

Secondly, His heater, I haven't turned it on yet because his water is over 80 degrees without it on right now, but if he gets close to it when it is on, will it burn him?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnB View Post
So We have our new Tank set up for Fabio, he has everything he needs, But we have a few questions. First off, the tank filter throws him around if he gets close to the waterfall, how can I buffet the current, because its pushing him down, and that doesn't seem good for his gills, especially since he swims against it.

Secondly, His heater, I haven't turned it on yet because his water is over 80 degrees without it on right now, but if he gets close to it when it is on, will it burn him?

Thanks for all the help guys!
I have never had a fish get burned yet by a heater and I have been keeping them for over 10 years so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Which tank did you end up getting? We REALLY like pictures here - hint, hint.

IMO, the best way to baffle a filter to slow down the flow is to use an aquarium sponge (AquaClear and Imagine are two brand names) and rubber band it to the front of the filter.

Like this (and you don't really see the sponge with the lid closed):
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #7 
RnB

Alright, I will throw a picture of Fabio in his new home in the next day or so!

Another Quick Question, How often should we change his water, and how much? The aquarium is new, and we wanted to get him out of his little 1/2 gallon tank (He already seems much happier, and even was flaring us a bit earlier!!!!)
Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

It depends on what size it is. How many gallons is it?

In a .5 gallon tank, though, please change the water 100% every day or every other day. Max max max every two days, 100%. Please opt for the more frequent.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #9 
RnB

Its a Five Gallon Tank, The Marineland Eclispe Hex 5. Filter, Light, that jazz!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Thats what I have! :D

If you keep the filter always on, you dont need to do 100% water changes. This is nice because thats a lot of water! Your filter will need a baffle, because its strong! That waterfall at the top right will knock your fish around. What another user has done is what youll have to do, just in a different spot :)

Assuming the filter is always on, I would say do at least a 50%-75% a week. I would get a small siphon like this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752298 to clean up poop and stuff on the bottom. A clean, unused bucket will be needed for the siphon as well as to add back water. Walmart sells biggish blue ones for $2 :)