Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #1 
FuulieQ

Unhappy Moving accident....

Well, this has officially been one of the worst weeks I've ever had. I kind of just want to curl up and hide until it's over, almost everything I touch seems to just explode.

Anyway, moving Robert from one house to another yet again, there was an accident. I had put him in his "moving cup" and floated him in his tank so that none of the tank decor could shift and hurt him but he would still stay warm. It has a lid with plenty of holes poked in it. When we reached home and I went to check on him, I realized that the cup had sunk, filled with water and trapped him inside unable to surface for air (despite the tank being mostly drained of water, apparently there was still a spot deep enough for this to happen). I have no idea how long he was submerged in there, could have been anywhere from five minutes to an hour and a half.

He was lying on his side in an s-shape at the bottom. I only knew he was alive because I saw him bend his little head up to look at me. I went into rescue mode and drained the cup so he could get air immediately, left about an inch of water in the bottom so he didn't have to swim. I watched him and after a couple minutes he was sitting straight, a couple more and he wasn't gasping any more. I let him sit like that for a while in the shallow water floating in his tank for heat (NO LID this time). When he seemed like he had enough strength that he could be released into his tank, I set him loose.

He seems okay right now. I have his tank in a dark place with its light off. He ignored food and hid from me when I offered it, but I guess he's stressed... he still seems tired and slow and sits on the bottom occasionally, which he never did before. Last time I checked on him, I caught him attacking a snail, so hopefully that means he feels better.

I feel terrible, though. :( Did I do everything right? Is there anything else I can do, anything I should watch for?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #2 
Frodo Bagfins

Wow I'm glad he's alive despite the lack of oxygen--that alone is a good sign. It's not like he was out of the water all that time like a fish who flops out of his tank, and even they can be revived so hopefully your fishy will be ok :).
Frodo Bagfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #3 
FuulieQ

Thanks. I hope he will be, too. I'm scared that he'll suffer some kind of fishy brain damage. ;-;
Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #4 
Burd

Who knew you could actually drown a fish? The dumb blonde had it right all along. :P

Here's wishing him well!
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #5 
newbie32

Oh dear, what a terrible thing! I wouldn't know what else to tell you to do. Sounds like you're doing everything that you can. Hope the lil guy comes out of the whole experience just fine! A similar situation happened to me once during a water change. Luckily, I found the cup sinking and he wasn't stuck in there for very long. He did not seemed pleased with me for a while after that! Good luck!
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Dang....he was lucky and you did the right thing...good to hear he is doing better and attacking the snail....a good sign.....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #7 
Sakura8

It sounds like you did everything right, lowering the water level and everything. You kept a cool head under fire. I'm glad Robert seems to be on the mend. But with a betta, how would we know if he had brain damage? They act pretty goofy as it is. But that's sweet he looked up at you the way he did because it means he trusts you to help him. Don't feel bad, we all do things like that. We're only human.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

Thanks, guys. :) Robert seems EXPONENTIALLY better today. I fed him this morning and he ate, and overnight he made his biggest bubblenest in months!

His movements are occasionally jerky, but it seems to be improving so I'm not going to worry about it too much. He doesn't seem to have buoyancy issues or anything, so... phew, that's a relief.

Well, as for the brain damage, I figured that since he only has like three or four neurons it would be really terrible if he lost any of them. xD; I don't need a vegetable fish right now....
Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #9 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Glad to hear everything ended well! :D
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I'm really glad to hear Robert's on the mend and doing well. Apparently after his near-death experience he's decided to live life to the fullest and build the biggest bubblenests. As long as he doesn't go out and get a hot rod car or start skydiving.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote