Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #11 
FuulieQ

He looks very skinny, poor thing. They must have forgotten to feed him. :( How long was he in her care? And how long has it been since he went back under your care?

Yeah, that definitely looks like fungus, bacteria or SOMETHING of the like. I would say it looks like columnaris, but I'm not sure columnaris would appear on the fin like that. Hmm, this is weird. He also looks like he has ammonia burns on his gills, and those are some bold stress stripes he's showing. I'm thinking I should summon OFL.

(OFL is one of our resident fishy disease experts)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #12 
FuulieQ

Oh, and I doubt he broke his back. When a fish gets that skinny sometimes it looks like the spine is crooked, or it may actually be crooked due to old age or some other factor.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #13 
FishyFishFish

He was in her care for about a month, give or take a few days.
I've had him back now for less than a week.
Any help is appreciated.
At first I thought it was that bladder disease, I think it was something like that.
& I wouldn't doubt that it is a fungus because he had maybe 2 inches of water left when I got to him.
& you could barely see him.
Poor guy.):
Is there anything I can do for this fungus?
What exactly are the ammonia burns?
& I also noticed the stripes, wasn't sure whether they were due to his illness, or what.
ANYTHING helps at this point!
& it is appreciated more than you know!
FishyFishFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #14 
FuulieQ

The ammonia burns are on his gills, I can see the angry red color through his gill covers. I would keep his water as clean as possible - change it every other day, perhaps. Aquarium salt will be a good start since I'm not sure if it is a fungus or a bacterial infection. I'm not sure of the dosage, I'll PM OFL and ask her to take a look at this thread. I seem to recall a teaspoon per gallon, or something like that, but I'm not sure. What you can do immediately is change his water and start trying to find him a heater and a 2 gallon bowl/tank. It also might help his stress to have a plant to rest on. I'd get him a soft silk plant or one of those floating betta logs - my bettas have both had one and it's great for when they're scared or sick or too lazy to swim tot he surface for air. :P Just be careful, some stores sell the betta logs for really high prices, but there was one place I managed to find it for $9.99, so if you see anything above that by too much then don't get it.

The stripes are not something that will kill him. All bettas show those stripes when they are stressed, and I imagine being in water that nasty for so long is very stressful. :( Poor thing.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #15 
FishyFishFish

Thank you so much for your help.
If you can think of anything else, please let me know.
I will try all of these things & see what happens.
I will keep you updated!
Thank you for all of your help.
I appreciate it.
FishyFishFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #16 
newbie32

If it's a gallon bowl, you should be changing the water every day. And since he's a sick lil guy, you may want to put him in a small QT container. Mix 1 gal of water (plus conditioner) with 1 tsp. aquarium or ice cream salt. Use that water for the lil guy. Change it completely every day. I believe you should do that for 10 days to see if he gets any better. Definitely PM OFL. She knows what she's doing. I learned the aq salt/qt thing from her (i'm clearly not an expert---newbie32!)
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems....

If you have had him for 2 years and got him at a pet shop he was most likely 6-8mo of age...making him roughly 2.5-3 years old and sadly this species can have a short life span to start in the 2-3 years on average...rarely 4-5 and older......

It may be age related symptoms that you are seeing...but another diagnosis comes to mind when I hear--skinny body with a crooked spine...and that is fish TB...not Tuberculosis that humans get, however, fish TB is one that can be passed to the hobbyist in the form of wound on the hands...no treatment for this and it is best the euthanize...

I suspect it is age related however......right now I would try freshwater treatment....make 50% water only changes with fresh like temp dechlorinated water for 2 days then 100% and see if this will perk him up...then stay on a twice weekly water change schedule of 1-50% and 1-100% a week in a 1gal unfiltered tank to maintain water quality....

You may want to increase the water temp to at least 75-76F if you can....Bettas are tropical fish and tend to do better in a bit warmer water...you may or may not need a heater......

Keep us posted
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #18 
FuulieQ

Oh, OFL. How do you know where you are needed before I have the chance to call you. ;)
Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #19 
KayDowson

because she the most awesomeist fishy xpert ever and she knows absolutely EVERYTHING... I'm not even gonna lie and say I don't stalk her lol... Good luck with your fishy tho... follow OFL's advice she knows what shes talkin about...
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #20 
BETTACRADLE

It loks like betta poo , got its day,

when u left it water unchanged, when u come back, the tank barely had water . It would mean

Ammonia poisoning can occur for any or all of the following reasons and is probably the number one cause of death in cultured fish.

Occurances:

When a tank is newly set up.
When you add too many new fish to a tank at one time.
When the filter fails.
When bacterial colonies die off because of medications or sudden changes in water conditions.

Symptoms:

Fish gasp for breath at the water surface.
Purple or red gills. (Fish appears to be bleeding)
Fish is lethargic
Loss of appetite
Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
Red streaking on the fins or body

Ammonia poisoning can take days or appear suddenly.Usually you will notice your fish gasping for air at the waters surface.Since it is not uncommon for Betta fish to breath on the surface, it is important for Betta owners to know their fish in order to spot the changes. The gills may appear to be bleeding by turning a reddish or lilac color. The most obvious sign you will notice is that your Betta will become very lethargic and stop eating. Sometimes your Betta will simply close its fins and lay on the bottom of the tank.

If untreated the poisoning will eventually do tissue damage which will appear as red streaks or bloody patches on the body and fins. Internal damage occurs to the brain, organs, and central nervous system. Unchecked your Betta will hemorrhage internally and eventually die.

Treatment:

Lower the tanks pH below 7.0
Change 25 - 50% of the tanks water. (use aged water)
Apply neutralizing ammonia chemical like AmQuel (available at pet supply store)
Reduce feeding. (the uneaten food will only increase problems

it very obvious to me hes burned bad lol by ammonia. this will lead to infections too lol, Sorry bout the guy, never saw a betta got better in this condition. I had one betta in my early times when i not much experince with bettas, the poor betta suffered ammonia burns, it dun died but eventually was handicapped, it bagan to swim like some part of its organ is missing, it swim upside down poor chap.
BETTACRADLE is offline   Reply With Quote