Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2007, 01:30 PM   #1 
nvmyluv420

betta sticking itself to filter....

i resentley rescued a male betta from wal-mart, i put him in my 55 gal. tank with my angelfish. i know the two arent supposed to mix but they do fine together. in fact hes always around the angels which i thought was wierd that he never leaves their side. i have two filters in my tank and ive watched him swim up to them and let himself get stuck. he peels himself off but it just seems so odd that he likes to get sucked in and sit there for a couple of minutes until he need to get air. im not to conserned because he gets himself off but im wondering if hes in distress. does anyone else have a similar situstion they like to share so i know that i dont have the wierdest fish in the world!
nvmyluv420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:44 PM   #2 
leifthebunny

Both of my bettas do this somewhat frequently. They also lay down on plants, gravel, ... I imagine the weight of the fins can't be too much fun to carry around.
leifthebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:07 PM   #3 
Falina

Mine doesn't stick himself to the filter, but does lie down on stuff like liefthebunny says. I wouldn't worry about it.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #4 
nvmyluv420

thanx guys! yeah i see him rest on plants all the time, im not going to worry about it. i figure it will make him stronger.
nvmyluv420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #5 
MattD

The filter thing sounds weird, but you'll often see Bettas resting on plants/substrate. I mean staying afloat all the time is tiring eventually, I'm sure.

They just take a load off.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #6 
GregV

one thing though, i dont know about the walmarts near you, but there not a very good place to buy fish, there supliers tend to sell substandard stock, and they end up dieing half of the time.

at least the walmarts near me, half the fish are dead in the tanks.
GregV is offline   Reply With Quote