Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #1 
RnB

Fabio wasn't carded.

Our brand new little Betta, Fabio, was sold to us at a fish store, where he was stacked up next to a bunch of other guys. None of them were carded. This breaks my heart, because I want him to Flare! Is there anyway to undo the 'damage' to fabio's ego? Anyway we can promote his Flaring?

Thanks in advance~!

-Raven and Bill (RnB)
RnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

It's normal practice not to card fish at pet stores. One he settles in and establishes the tank as his territory he should begin to flare. Some fish just arent' big on flaring.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #3 
Burd

What exactly do you mean by 'carded'?
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Carded means blocking fish from view of each other. Generally when you have a set up like breeders have with a drip system or barracks you'll have plastic or mesh "cards" in between each tank to block the fish's view of each other, when you remove the cards they can flare at each other for exercise.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #5 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Carded means blocking fish from view of each other. Generally when you have a set up like breeders have with a drip system or barracks you'll have plastic or mesh "cards" in between each tank to block the fish's view of each other, when you remove the cards they can flare at each other for exercise.
Ah, thank you! I learned something today :D
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #6 
Tisia

looking at some of your other posts it seems like you haven't had him for that long. I'd say let him settle in a bit longer so he starts thinking of it as his territory and then he may feel the need to defend it more and might flare.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #7 
Tisia

1fish2fish is quicker than me :p
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #8 
RnB

You are right, I know he hasn't settled in yet. And its going to be a while because we just went to pick up a 5 gallon tank for him today, which really broke our bank, so its sparsely decorated. But he has soooo much more space. We are gonna run the tank for 8 hours before putting him in tho.

Quick Unrelated question, We had to choose between a 10 Watt and a 50 Watt heater for his tank. The 10 Watt, made by marineland only goes up to a three gallon tank, while the 50 is 5-10 gallons. We opted for the 10 Watt, because I felt like the 50 might make things waaay too hot for the little guy. Is the 10 going to do the trick?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #9 
LolaQuigs

Is either heater adjustable? Adjustable heaters allow more leeway as far as sizing goes. I have used a 50 watt adjustable marineland in a 5 gallon before without a problem. I now use adjustable 25 watt Hagen Elite heaters in my 5g tanks, but when the room is cold I need to crank them up as high as they go in order to keep the tanks at 80, so I think a 10 watt would probably be too small.

Also beware with Marineland...they just had a pretty big recall (why I no longer use the Marineland 50 watt in my 5g tank), you may want to check their website and make sure your specific model wasn't one of the ones affected.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #10 
RnB

So Fabio is all set in his new Tank, He is happy and swimming around! He is even flaring! (ooh, he's soo cute!), Problem is, He is flaring all the time now, either that or he keeps swimming up and down fascinated with his reflection in the glass. You see, it seems that the Hexagon shape of our tank almost creates a mirror like effect. (We have the Marineland Eclipse Hex 5.) I don't want him to stop flaring, but i have no idea how to prevent these reflections, any one have a suggestion? I tried taping blue construction paper to the back of the hex, but he can still see his reflection.

Help me make sure Fabio doesn't turn into the Vain man he is named after!!!