Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #1 
LolaQuigs

Dwarf Gourami Questions

I know some members here have experience with dwarf gouramis, so I'd like your input! I've finally accepted the fact that none of my bettas will do well in my 10 gallon with cories. Calliope and Gemini both attacked them as soon as they saw them; Arcturus is more docile than the other two, and at first I thought he was doing well, but as he became more used to the new tank he started to get nippier and nippier. I've decided all my fish will be happiest and healthiest if the bettas are all kept by themselves. But what to do with that ten gallon? I could add a couple more cories, but it would be nice to have a "showpiece" fish if possible.

What size tank do dwarf gouramis require? I've read some sources that say they can be housed in a tank as small as 5g, but that seems awfully small, and I'm skeptical of a lot of info that's out there regarding tank sizes. I've also read that they need salt in their water, is this true? How sensitive are they to parameters? My tank is cycled and I do weekly 50% changes so I'm not worried about nitrites, nitrates or ammonia, but I do have a very high pH (normally 8.0-8.2, but since adding IAL it's around 7.8-8.0), will this be a problem? How are they with tank mates? Are they like bettas, in that it's risky and you basically just have to take your chances and hope things will work out, or are they good community fish? Or will the cories stress them out?

I guess my questions basically boil down to: will a dwarf gourami thrive in a 10g tank with four panda cories and a high pH? Would this setup be overstocked?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #2 
vaygirl

I have my dwarf in with 4 pretty darn large corys and three TINY Endlers. One of my female corys is bigger then he is. He seems fine with them. He's in a 16 gallon bowfront that's tall rather then long. He does fine with the space. He's very active and interested in everything. He IS a food hog. He has no shyness about stealing cory pellets. He also enjoys eating plant material so I'd recommend live plants if you don't have them in there already.

All that said, Dwarf gouramis are territorial just like bettas but they tend to be on the shyer side. I never see Mango harassing anyone but sometimes he'll chase an Endler out of his space. I've never seen him chase a cory at all. Probably because they're mostly on the bottom and he dwells mid to high. So, I think you'd do fine but it's possible that some are more territorial then others. The more plants and hiding space you have, the better. I wouldn't consider that tank overstocked at all. And from what I've read the minimum is 10 gallons. He should adjust fine to your ph provided you acclimate him slowly by drip method. You could also ask the store if they know their tank ph. Then you'd know how much of a shift he'd be going through.

I highly recommend these fish. They are very interesting to watch, especially when they spit water at stuff on the lip of the aquarium. Hysterical.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

Thanks for the info, they sound like really cool fish, and they're so pretty.

I have a total brown thumb when it comes to live plants--I couldn't even keep a java fern alive, but I might try again since they like to munch on plants. I know they're omnivores, but how much/what do you feed? Do you have to be careful about overfeeding/bloat like you do with bettas?

I know they are a labyrinth fish, so I assume there is no need for an airstone, and of course they need to be able to breathe air. Do they have any other special needs/considerations?

That tank is really full of fake plants...it looks pretty but makes it a huge pain to gravel vac! But hopefully all the plants will help avert possible aggression problems, I know it's a smallish tank, so I am a little nervous. My cories are very active--especially at night--and they love looking for food everywhere, so they definitely don't stay at the bottom. Hopefully I'll have better luck getting a docile gourami than I've had with my bettas! Right now, aside from possible aggression toward the cories, my biggest concern is that I live in a house with some very vocal dogs...I read that gouramis in general are sensitive to loud noises.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #4 
vaygirl

He was pretty skittish at first, about pretty much everything but like our bettas once he realized noise means people and people mean food he was out all the time. I think they would get used to it, given time.

They are omnivores so a tropical pellet or flake would be fine. Right now mine's on betta pellets but he eats live plants in the tank so I don't worry too much about his veggies. He also steals the Endler's guppy food and the cory's carnivore pellets. I might just eliminate his betta pellets all together. Or at least cut waaaay back. He's a total pig. Just like a betta, he'd just eat and eat and eat so keep that in mind as well. If you find he's eating your cory pellets and they're only carnivore pellets, you could start giving them algae wafers as well. Mango is pretty docile. Even when he steals their food, he doesn't hurt the corys or Endlers. :)

I think with tons of plants like you have, it would be fine. And if you don't wanna do live plants that's okay too. They don't have to have them. Mine will also eat algae off the back wall so that's something to consider.

I have an airstone for appearance but you're right, they don't really need them.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 
kathstew

I have a honey gourami and a dwarf gourami. Honestly, I think honey gouramis have a bit more personality.
But dwarf gouramis are very cute. I've only had my dwarf gourami for about two weeks now though, so she is probably still opening up (she is getting more friendly slowly).
PICS PICS PICS when you get 'em!
My gouramis are currently in a 5.5 gallon tank, I'm waiting to see if I win the Big Als photo contest, before I buy anything (because I'd just use the prize money to buy the 10 gallon + tank I want. :P
Vaygirl answered all your questions really. So all I have to say is GOOD LUCK.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote