Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #1 
Larsa

Breeding Pair issues? : /

I got a blue crowntail female today who is healthy and sorta care-free. Id like her to breed with Ryu, who made a thick bubblenest before I got her. When I introduced the pair I put her in a glass cylinder in his tank. She doesnt show any lines on her body, vertical or horizontal. She ocassionally flares her gills at Ryu while he shimmies at her. Then she swims away. Its like she doesnt care LOL. Ryu stayes in one corner of his tank like hes scared or shy.

Is there any hope she will lossen up a bit and wanna mate w/ Ryu???

All my females dont wanna mate except Sakura (veiltail) : she shows vertical lines and tilts her head down. However, im scared the fry would be ugly or undesirable.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #2 
Nymmers

You just got her today? She needs to be conditioned first! Or she won't get 'eggy'.
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #3 
Larsa

yeah shes my new baby I got today : ) So when they have lots of eggs, females will wanna mate even if they are kinda stubborn!? I have protien rich foods set for them. O_o how do I know if a female is full of eggs?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Do you know how breeding works at all? It doesn't sound like you've prepared or researched one bit. Please read the stickies at the top of this board and begin researching the proper way to go about breeding. You don't just stick a female and a male together and they breed and you have fry... it's a LOT of work.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #5 
Larsa

I have bred before... I aint dumb :/ I have read the stickies a long time ago- im aware. I just wanted them to meet, thats all. No harm in introducing them, especially since I was planning to try spawning the pair in a month. All my pairs before, the females immedietly showed vertical lines, even before conditioning- like Sakura, Nami, and Atsuko for instance. I just can never tell when they are full of eggs or if I fed them too much while conditioning. LOL I just want to know how to tell if a female has eggs and ways to help a pair become more "compatable."

oh yeah, just sayin- it was an ichthyologist friend of mine who taught me how to breed bettas and I have lots of betta books, once specifically on breeding and genetics. Dont say I dont do any research.

Last edited by Larsa; 06-18-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The female will have unripe eggs all the time and will either drop and eat them or not or reabsorb them on a regular basis.....once she senses the male her eggs will start to ripen and once the male senses the ripen eggs he will get excited wanting to spawn...this is with healthy fish of Breeding age

You get best results and healthiest eggs/fry when the Bettas are well conditioned...

As 1fish posted and as you already know from past spawns an research you have done....its not as easy as placing two fish together and spawning can be different from one pair to the next and from one spawn to the next even with the same pair....they do love to keep us on our toes....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Sorry but when you ask "how do I know if a female is full of eggs" and you are seemingly trying to breed a betta you just brought home our first reaction is that you aren't prepared, no offense. I would have assumed the same thing as 1fish.

Anyhow, as OFL said, females are always carrying eggs. She might not react to the male if she isn't physically ready (ie, too young, not conditioned, stressed). I find most petstores sell CT females way too young. Is she really small?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #8 
Larsa

she is about an inch and a half and 7 months old : ) I got to watch my mom's friend spawn and thats the fish lady I mentioned above, she kinda taught me years ago and its been 5 years since. I had one really great sucessful encounter myself but my half siblings liked to kill my fish and the babies died :'( Im really excited because this time I raise the fry without children bothering me LOL
Old 06-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #9 
datboyhieu

lol gratss man i just got my spawn to hatch today so im waiting to see how many imma end up with but right now its looking like theres 150+
datboyhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

Well it looks like everyone has covered most ground on the topic. I would just like to say that if you bought her just today, then you need her to feel comfortable and condition her for 1-2 weeks to be sure she is in the tip top health and is ready for anything to conquer.

To be honest and try to help you, i would say not to breed (just yet). Only because the female isn't ready and i really want to but just can't believe that you bred before because if you have and know the steps you have to take then you should have known that conditioning is an essential. And if you have been taught how to breed them, then i suggest researching the things that are most essential for breeding bettas.

Please dont take this offensive but i think that you should condition the pair first and go through the steps slower and more carefully.

Good luck and remember we are always here to give you good advice.

P.S: to answer your question, a female does not have to look full of eggs or ("eggy") to be ready to breed.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote