Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Unhappy Cup's all bloated, but hasn't been fed! Dx

i seem to be having VERY bad luck with my bettas lately. first, Caroline and Chappy are still inactive and clamped, now Cup's all bloated. that's not usually an issue. a day of fasting, and he's back to his feisty, active, skinny self.

but, he's not been fed for DAYS! i keep holding off, in hopes that his belly will go back down, but it doesn't. :/ he's also acting pretty ill. i know i'm due for a water change, but that won't bloat him up.

i'm really worried about my little old man. he's about two or three years old, and i know that's kinda old. >3>

i don't have any epsom salt, otherwise i'd treat him with that.

should i.... give him a pea? that's about all i have to give him right now. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #2 
Sakura8

I don't think a pea could hurt him because if he is seriously constipated, the fiber in the pea can only help him. If he's been passing waste all this time and he's still bloated, then it's time to think parasites and medications.

Three years old is a good ripe age for a betta so it's possible he's just experiencing old age symptoms as the body gets older and its function gets less efficient. :(

Give him his bit of pea and keep an eye out for waste, especially any waste that might have bits of parasite in them.

And I'm sorry to hear that Caroline and Chappy are still clamped. That's been going on for a long time now and I wish I knew how to help you. All I can suggest is a change of water or a switching water conditioners or even trying bottled water to see if it's something in your tap water that the water conditioners aren't removing. :( Hang in there.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i say about two or three, because i've had him about a year now. and, Veils are about a year or two when you buy them. i think, after i wash the dishes tonight after Whale Wars, i'll change his water, and keep it bare-bottomed, to check for poos after i feed him the pea.

for Caroline and Chappy, i think it's water temps. i didn't have heaters,and the ones i DO have are those horrid Tetra preset ones. because my computer's having a tough time keeping cool, i gotta have a fan in my room running at the computer, which cools my room down alot. Dx my girlies. ;A;
Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #4 
KayDowson

peas are not good for them
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Here's a webpage from nippyfish.net. The person behind this website advises a bit of pea for constipation, but only a little bit (the size of his eyeball, she says).

Daphnia would be a better choice because bettas are carnivorous, but daphnia is hard to find.

http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/bloa...-constipation/
Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #6 
Luimeril

yeah, i can't get to the pet store to see if they sell Daphnia, but i don't think they do. >3< i didn't see it last time i checked out their frozen foods. i do have a bag of frozen peas i use sometimes to clear up constipation, usually when Cup's bloated and floaty. i was just hesitant to feed him it this time, because he's so old.

KayDowson, a tiny, itty bitty pinch of blanched pea shouldn't hurt him at all. in fact, i rarely resort to blanched peas, since their bloat can USUALLY be cured with a day off pellets. but, Cup's not been fed in DAYS, but his bloat hasn't gone down. D: he looks miserable, and i want to help him.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #7 
KayDowson

i understand u wanna help him but peas do screw up theyre digestive system... its a no bueno for them... i would try the epsom salt for a few days and see if that dont help fisrt.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Kay, I'm curious what you're basing your statement on. I'd really like to know because I like learning new things. Who told you peas are so bad for them and what is the reason the person gave? I promise I'm not picking on you, I really genuinely want to know.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

-___-" Sakura.

Many new fish owners I have dealt with both on this site as well as personally (I live on a large college campus, with lots of newbie betta owners) have also found that same info. Id say, more often than not, the fish have died following them being fed a pea.

Each time (at least, I can say so 100% while I was personally witnessing this), the pea was prepared properly, as per that site as well as others.

Every time, the fish died. Except once, where it lived, but remained thoroughly bloated for days and days...

I have never, not once, had a good experience with using this method. To be honest, Im not sure where its roots lie, nor where it started... I feel personally that using a proper epsom salt treatment would work well, and it would more assuredly and safely than would a pea.

I believe many other people's reasons lie in the fact that if this is done wrong, fed too much, etc, the fish will be harmed. Its like with Melafix, its fine. Its not fine when overdosed, which it is very easily. So people warn not to do it.

But it trickles down as "NONO just dont!!!", without much information why.

Personally, I would say that it shouldnt be done, especially when there are other, safer (and better-tested) methods with good results are available...
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #10 
KayDowson

The researchers do not yet know why this pea protein/saponin combination spells trouble for the fish----http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110211074741.htm

acetic acid---- http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question...1005341AAtYCNk

From this site....
Peas are sometimes suggested for bettas, please don’t. A betta’s digestive tract is not designed to handle that kind of roughage in their diet, thus the reason it acts like a laxative. Feeding peas to a betta can severely damage their digestive tract and lead to permanent damage and early death... Peas are not healthy for a betta and can cause permanent damage to their digestive system and shorten life span. If a betta is bloated then it is time to take a look at water quality and feeding habits, as well as temperature. An overfed fish is an unhealthy fish at risk of bloating. An adult betta should be fed once/day and should be able to finish all food within 2 minutes. Bettas have very small stomachs and need time to digest food before consuming more. Improper foods can also cause bloating, as can digestive tract problems and intestinal parasites... Vegetables such as peas can cause severe damage to a betta’s digestive tract and should be avoided
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....highlight=peas

Never feed peas, even for constipation

Though peas are sometimes recommended, they are actually not very good for bettas and can do more harm than good. Use daphnia instead

these are just a few I've found... I would def not reccomend it tho...