Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #11 
KayDowson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
-___-" Sakura.

Many new fish owners I have dealt with both on this site as well as personally (I live on a large college campus, with lots of newbie betta owners) have also found that same info. Id say, more often than not, the fish have died following them being fed a pea.

Each time (at least, I can say so 100% while I was personally witnessing this), the pea was prepared properly, as per that site as well as others.

Every time, the fish died. Except once, where it lived, but remained thoroughly bloated for days and days...

I have never, not once, had a good experience with using this method. To be honest, Im not sure where its roots lie, nor where it started... I feel personally that using a proper epsom salt treatment would work well, and it would more assuredly and safely than would a pea.

I believe many other people's reasons lie in the fact that if this is done wrong, fed too much, etc, the fish will be harmed. Its like with Melafix, its fine. Its not fine when overdosed, which it is very easily. So people warn not to do it.

But it trickles down as "NONO just dont!!!", without much information why.

Personally, I would say that it shouldnt be done, especially when there are other, safer (and better-tested) methods with good results are available...
^^^ thanx pewpew... didnt want ppl thinkin i was crazy... never had a good xperience with it either...
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Interesting, very interesting. Can't argue statistics. And here I bought a bag of peas just in case. I'd eat them but . . . I hate peas. How badly bloated was the fish before being fed the pea, I wonder? At any rate, daphnia really is the best food but why is it so darn hard to find?

Thanks for the first-hand info, Pew, that helps.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

No problem... Im sure some were too-far gone, but many, if not most, wouldve probably lived. I didnt really know any better at the time, but I wish Id done about epsom to help their fish. Now people fall over at me and find me on campus asking 9000 questions...At least now I can answer most -___-

Daphnia is hard to get...But its worth a look, of course.

And feed them to the birds or something, or donate to a food bank :d OR TO A TURTLE. YEAH, TURTLES
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Wow, that's some convincing data there. Thanks for pulling that all up for me, Kay. I shoulda googled it myself, darn I'm so lazy. Okay, so now what to do with that bag of peas . . . no one has a black eye, I hate peas, I don't have a pea shooter . . .
Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Luimeril, how long until you can get some epsom salts? It's beginning to sound like that may be your best bet for bringing Cup back down to size. I wish I lived down the street from you, I'd run right over with mine. :/
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #16 
KayDowson

u can really go to walgreens and get some... jus make sure it dont have no dies or purfumes or nothing added to it.
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #17 
PewPewPew

Yeah, next time youre in walmart or whatever (yeah, eveeerryyywwhhereee sells it!) get some unscented epsom salt. 2tsp/gallon for 3 days, then 3tsp/gallon for 7-10 more, longer if needed, but not too much longer..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #18 
Luimeril

i dunno when i can get some. .___. it all depends on my mom's work schedule, and when she wants to go somewhere to get some for my fish. i mean, i've done the pea method a few times with all my older bettas, with no problem. within a day of feeding them a teeny tiny snippit of pea, they pooped massive poos, and were back down to size. i was told to do the pea method on another betta site, with no one saying 'don't do it. try epsom salt or daphnia instead', so that's what i did before when my bettas were bloated. shoot, sometimes, they suggest giving all your bettas a fasting day, then feeding them a pea the next day instead of regular foods!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #19 
Sakura8

Well, if it's always worked for you then that's great. Everyone has different results with different things. If you have not experienced any negative reactions and you feel comfortable with it, then giving a smidgen of pea is your call.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #20 
Luimeril

i don't give them large chunks of pea. in fact, the chunks are usually smaller than their eye. i mean, it's all i can do, since i can't get anything else to help him, and he looks so miserable right now. D:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote