Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #1 
aciyssej

betta/neon tetra bffs??

so i recently got some neon tetras and put them in the same tank as my betta, brutus. I was horrified when one was seemingly bitten to death on the first day and monitored and stressed like mad until...

it seems now that one of the tetras and brutus have become really good friends. i found them chilling together in a little urn cave when i went to feed this morning. they seemed pretty relaxed, and in such a tiny space too.

um, so my question is: has my betta become a fishy mob boss and found a way to wrangle in and torture a little tetra underling, or do they really just get along?
aciyssej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #2 
Sakura8

How big is Brutus? And how big are the tetras? If they're really small, they will grow a bit more. It's possible the one fatality was nipping at Brutus' fins and he retaliated. It's definitely one thing to keep an eye on, as tetras can be fin nippers. But yup, it's beginning to sound like Brutus is a mob boss. Just wanna keep an eye out and make sure he doesn't turn on his little tetra underling. Don't want him going Capone on the poor tetras.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

What size tank is it? It might be too small for the inhabitants to live comfortably...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #4 
KayDowson

I dont have a problem with mine in my tanks... everybody schools up with theyre own kind and ignores everybody elses... it may jus be a sign of dominance to let everybody else know he runs the tank
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDowson View Post
I dont have a problem with mine in my tanks... everybody schools up with theyre own kind and ignores everybody elses... it may jus be a sign of dominance to let everybody else know he runs the tank
Kinda like the horse head in the bed in The Godfather? Hehe. "Listen up, youse guys, I'm da big boss here, ya hear?"
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #6 
Nexangelus

Bettas and Neon tetras are my personal favorite for community tank. I've probably kept them together half a dozen times and have had great success. If they're not introduced at the same time, the one with seniority will generally get a bit nippy with the other. Bettas will fruitlessly chase and Tetras will nip. For the most part though, they're fine. I only run in to issues when a greedy neon tries to nab one of Greygill's precious blood worms, or when the alpha gets bashful/hungry and decides to see if he can take a nip out of the tail. Both are rare though. :)
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote