Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #1 
Ianthe

Question Are females as much "fun"/have as much personality as males?

I have had quite a few bettas over the years but I have actually never owned a female! We are sort of casually looking for another betta to take over the space Bait left....my 4 year old just CAN'T STAND that we have an empty fishbowl in the closet, LOL!

Anyway, I just haven't seen many males that caught my eye yet....but I have seen a few teeny tiny girls in pathetic looking condition that seem to be begging us to take them. BUT...I have never had a female, only makes, who are SO FUN...so, a few questions...

1. Do they have as much personality as males?

2. We do not plan any kind of sorority tank, our new fish will be in their own tank, alone. I know females are more social than males...so would she be unhappy/lonely?

3. Do they require less space than males? What is the minimum?

4. (I might get dirty looks for this one...)....are they as "pretty"? I mean, in the cups, they all (male OR female) look awful and not that great, honestly....but usually after I get a male home for a few months they have perked up, come in to their colors and fins, and been really gorgeous to look at.....the females I have seen, in the cups, are all kind of a drab off white color with VERY short, VERY raggedy fins...so I guess I am asking if they "clean up" as well as the males, LOL?

Thank you!!! Would also love any pics of any of your healthy females....just to see what a healthy girl looks like!
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Yeah, they have lots of personality. It depends on the fish, of course, but theyre no less in that dept.

Nope, the fish will be fine. They dont need friends, but they CAN live with others.

They actually should have MORE space. They have small, fast little fins and are really quick swimmers. Males are heavy finned and slow, but they buzz around a lot more. Try to get her at least 2 gallons.

Frankly, no. Females arent as pretty/stunning. But, theyre adorable. Like. Omg, stop being that cute dont look at me with that cute face asdfhjkasdlhfkasd ahhh stop! ;P They've got teeny fins, little faces and little bitty ventrals. Omg, adorable. Those females sound sick :( They have shorter fins, yes, but they can be pretty colors, just like males.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #3 
bahamut285

This is a before and after picture of my female, Lin. They do brighten up quite nicely! She's very cute and a lot of fun, IMO. She'a bit more jiggly and active than my male, because as P3 said, they don't have to drag those long tails aroud :)

EDIT: Actually, now that I Look at these pictures, she looks better even now than in the "after" pictures. Her tail is much rounder, her colours are darker and she's pink/purple instead of blueish

Sorry for the size:

Last edited by bahamut285; 06-10-2011 at 11:16 PM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #4 
Sakura8

It's true, females aren't as pretty as males . . . just like peacocks. But when they are in full health, they have a perky cuteness about them with their little tails and fins. Females are every bit as chock-full of personality. Some of them can be more aggressive than the males and some are demure little ladies. And Pew is right, because they don't have the finnage, they are much more lively in their swimming, darting around. I'm actually moving my girl to the 10g and my male to the 3g because she's so much more lively.

Bettas are loners, male or female. Females can get along with their own kind much better than a male but no betta is going to weep sad tears if they are not kept with another betta.

Here is my Goldikova, staring hungrily at her thermometer because she thinks the ball bearings are pellets. Normally, she tilts her head and looks at it the way a labrador looks at a tennis ball, but she wouldn't do it while I had the camera in my hand (she's so camera shy, she gets stress stripes as soon as she sees it). After a while, she'll try and take a bite out of the glass. And the other one is Goldikova staring at the light on her heater. She's mesmerized by it and can stare at that light the entire time it's on. She also sleeps wedged behind her heater, resting on the suction cup.

I could go on for a while about her cute habits and I'm positive everyone else here could do the same about their girls, too (this would be a huge thread if we did, though). So yeah, I'd say girls have personality.
Attached Images

Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #5 
Ianthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
It's true, females aren't as pretty as males . . . just like peacocks. But when they are in full health, they have a perky cuteness about them with their little tails and fins. Females are every bit as chock-full of personality. Some of them can be more aggressive than the males and some are demure little ladies. And Pew is right, because they don't have the finnage, they are much more lively in their swimming, darting around. I'm actually moving my girl to the 10g and my male to the 3g because she's so much more lively.

Bettas are loners, male or female. Females can get along with their own kind much better than a male but no betta is going to weep sad tears if they are not kept with another betta.

Here is my Goldikova, staring hungrily at her thermometer because she thinks the ball bearings are pellets. Normally, she tilts her head and looks at it the way a labrador looks at a tennis ball, but she wouldn't do it while I had the camera in my hand (she's so camera shy, she gets stress stripes as soon as she sees it). After a while, she'll try and take a bite out of the glass. And the other one is Goldikova staring at the light on her heater. She's mesmerized by it and can stare at that light the entire time it's on. She also sleeps wedged behind her heater, resting on the suction cup.

I could go on for a while about her cute habits and I'm positive everyone else here could do the same about their girls, too (this would be a huge thread if we did, though). So yeah, I'd say girls have personality.

Thank you!!! This is exactly the information I am looking for! :)
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #6 
Bettawolf19

I say the females have almost more personality as the males. Mine often give me kissy face looks and go bonkers when they see me near them. I've only had mine for around 3 months or so and they are fun to watch.

As for the prettiness of them they do get very pretty like here's a few of mine:

Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #7 
Luimeril

i find that my girls seem to have MORE personality than my boys. i mean, when Caroline's feeling good(she's not feeling too well atm), she's a cute little thing. she interacts with EVERYTHING and EVERYONE, and always wiggles at me. if i place something on top of her tank, she's looking at it, and sometimes jumps up at it!

and, to me, girls can be just as pretty as boys! i only have three, and only Caroline's colorful(Chappy USED to be. :/ she was a beautiful blue-green dragon! now.... she's kinda.... brown. xD), but i'v seen some STUNNING girls!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Personally I like males because they are prettier. However I do have one female. I think I had her about 2 or so weeks now and even missing most of her "tail" fin, she swims around like a mad man and has more personality then the 3 males I have. I stuck a finger in her cup for some reason and she BIT ME! 2 of my males swim away from my finger and the other one like to rub up against it.

I dont know about tank sizes. Mine is in a 1 gallon but she is tiny. She will get a 3 gallon soon though.

Sushi:
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #9 
Luimeril

i'll admit, my girls are in smaller tanks. Chappy has a 2 gallon Kritter Keeper, Caroline has the 1.5 i'd bought when i rescued Remy, and Lulu's in a one gallon. BUT. >3> Lui has reasons for Lulu and Caroline's tank sizes.

Lulu, is literally, scared of larger tanks. i had her in Caroline's 1.5 for a few days, testing out how my bettas would react to new tanks and new tank locations. Lulu freaked out. she hid, face-first in her bundle of Java Moss, till i put her back in her 1 gallon. when my CT female, Freya, passed, i gave Lulu Freya's 2 gallon Kritter Keep, and she hid in the barrel-cave for a week before i put her back in her one gallon. i tried giving her, her old plants and decor, but nothing helped her come out of hiding in either case.

as for Caroline. she's active, but seems to enjoy the space the square 1.5 gives her. i tried her out in the 3 gallon i have, and she didn't enjoy it. i set it up similarly to how i set up her 1.5, but she still clamped and stayed hidden, or near the top. she sits at my computer, so i've learned her habits well. being clamped and hidden/inactive, tells me she doesn't like something, or isn't feeling well.

Chappy grew up in said 3 gallon, but i got annoyed with how hard it is to handle. so i gave it to my brother for his newest Veil, Wheatly. xD now HE has to deal with how awkward it is. >:3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #10 
Punki

I love my male but hes my first and special but i know id rather have females then males if something ever happened to him. In my experiences they are more active, curious, lively, silly, and put a smile on my face often. My first girl was pretty in her own way, a pearly white body with red and white striped fins. So little, cute and crazy. I got a new girl a week ago and i think shes the prettiest betta ive ever seen in a petstore, male or female! They definatly make up for their lack of finnage with personality :)

Id say to find one that catches your eye, has a bit of color, and hope for a bloom of colors once cared for, but really, their cute to watch :D
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote