Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2011, 03:47 AM   #1 
Smr2892

Arrow Spawn log :) pics&updates

As some of you know, Prince and Little Miss spawned June 7th. On the 9th I woke up at 4:30AM to find that half of the bubblenest was gone, and I saw neither eggs nor fry. I fell back asleep very disappointed. When I awoke again I was in an especially bad mood, until I looked at the tank. To my amazement I saw a teensy weensy itty bitty little fish dart back up to a now fully restored bubblenest! Whew! I had never been so relieved! I pressed my face to the glass and watched, all the while murmuring to Prince that I was sorry I doubted him. I also looked into the floating tupperware in the tank (having taken oldfishlady's advice and collecting the eggs off the bottom that prince missed to artificially hatch them) they were still just eggs. I didn't have high hopes for them since he refused to take them, thinking they were infertile. But what was the harm in trying?

So far, in all, I believe there are around 10 or 15 fry. All the eggs in the tupperware hatched (6 in all) and there are a few babies in the nest still. Prince is being a wonderful daddy, and I a paranoid fishy nana.

The fry were practicing their swimming skills the 10th, keeping daddy very busy, even though they only get about an inch before they tire. So CUTE!

So far this is the only picture I've gotten where you can actually tell it's a fish. There will be more to come as they grow and my camera can see them! Also, I'm on my phone so I can't resize and I don't know how big it's going to be, if it's messed up I'll fix it when I get to a computer!

3 day old fry:
Smr2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Awww, so cute!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #3 
Smr2892

Thank you dramaqueen!! More to come as they grow :)
Old 06-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #4 
kif3

awww XDDD well done and congrats :3 keep us updated and goodluck ^O^
kif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #5 
mernincrazy8525

sooooo cute!!
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #6 
Smr2892

Thanks guys! I saw one of the fry dart after some infusoria today, it was adorible! Watching these guys grow is a real treat!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #7 
mernincrazy8525

watching them grow is the best part. they kinda become your children and then when you sell them you're like "they grew up so fast!"
Old 06-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Awesome and congrats.....did the eggs hatch in the tupperware for artificial hatching too.....if so-be sure and start adding very small amounts of tank water so when you get ready to release them in the tank they will be acclimated to the water chemistry as it changes....

The way I tell if the fry are eating microorganisms is by their tummy...it should appear round with black or dark colored dots...

Do you plan to leave the male with his fry long term or are you taking him out....I do both...all depending on my plan for the male...if I plan another spawn soon- I remove him the first week and if no current spawn plan for him I may leave him long term with his fry....this also depends on the male....as far as his positive or negative interaction with the fry.......I have had some eat the fry at the 2 week stage.....little buggers......

Keep us posted......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #9 
Smr2892

I took daddy out because some of the fry wound up missing :/ the ones in the tupperware did hatch! All 6 of them! I slowly added tank water to their container and released them into the tank yesterday. Last night they were all swimmimg around just fine, but tonight I can only find two :( makes me sad. But two is better than none! I'm honestly just happy that any eggs hatched, since Prince is almost 2!

@mernincrazy
They do grow up sooooo fast! I hadn't thought about the fact that Prince is almost two until just today, and I had an odd mix of emotions going on. Like super proud and super sad. If there happens to be more than two babies in the tank and I sell them, I'm going to be a nervous wreck! Lol
Old 06-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #10 
mernincrazy8525

well at least you will know they are in good hands. and you have little princes from Prince before he dies. And he is 2!!!! that is amazing that he bred. you are also a very good owner for keeping him alive that long.