Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #1 
xMandy

Little worried now

I recently got two new betta males. (Akio- Orange and Kumo-Black) (It's been a few days/week now.)
Both haven't been doing much of anything and hide/lay on rocks all the time.
Kumo will swim up and flare his fins a bit if I tap the glass, but Akio wont do anything.
Akio looks to have a white line on his top and a black mark on his side - I'll post pics. (Then a pic of Kumo..but because he's black I don't see anything wrong with him)

Housing

What size is your tank? Akio- 2.5 & Kumo - 1g
What temperature is your tank? Both stay 75-80f
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Akio has an air stone
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bettamin tropical medley (switching to pellets)
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? everyday.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10-25% every day, 50% every 2-4 days and 100% every week or so. Not really on a schedule.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bacteria supp, water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Haven't tested. Need to pick up a kit.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Akio with his white and black mark.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't 'changed' they just lay.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since I brought them home
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Haven't
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know

Excuse the mess in Kumo's water. I was fixing something with the net and cleaning his rocks up a bit.
Attached Images

xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #2 
xMandy

Might I add Kumo seems to swim a little more this morning now that he got a heater last night. (I was afraid to get one for him and Apollo because we got a letter stating they're recalling some heaters and I didn't know if what I was buying was it. The heater I have in Akio's tank needs to be checked to make sure that's not what being recalled. I think it may be.)
I just went with the circle betta heaters.
Akio's had a heater since he got home..so I don't know what's up with him.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Last I heard the only heaters being recalled were the Marineland Stealth. What you have, and it sounds like the Zoo Med Betta Heaters, should be fine. But don't quote me on that.

Well, since it hasn't been long both of your guys are probably settling in. It's a lot to take in for a little betta so both Akio and Kumo will need time adjust to their new surroundings and a new routine. They may be a little shy too for a while. Also, because they were pet store bettas (so I assume) they were living in pretty bad water so they probably had some degree of ammonia poisoning. A few more days in clean water should help to clear that up. You're doing a wonderful job, changing the water every day. However, because neither of your tanks have filters you don't need to add any biological supplement. That's only to "seed" a filter.

The hardest thing about getting a new betta is being patient and waiting for them to adjust.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #4 
xMandy

I believe this is what I have;
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3792732

We just saw on our water 'conditioner' it doesn't treat chlorine. My step-dad has a 40longgallon so he's afraid that's what has killed a few of his fish - yikes! I've been using it too. I use to have a betta that lived for years and would use a good conditioner. (He died of my studpity..sigh) I don't understand how that would effect my two bettas but not Apollo. He settled in as soon as I fed him :P But then again he DOES get to watch the computer screen as much as he wants.

Kumo came from walmart (I can't believe I bought a fish from there - but I LOVE this little guy!! He's amazing)

Akio is from petsmart (I lost an orange female and when I saw him was like..oh no you're kidding! Then ran across the store to show my stepdad haha)

There was a beautiful yellow betta male last night. He had black at the end of his tail and a dark body. I almost picked him up..but needed other things and decided if I got him the HUGE crowntail and the pure white crowntail next to him were coming home too.

I wont add the bacteria supp anymore. I was going to stop anyway because I was telling myself it didn't make much sense. I had planned on putting filters in the tanks..but with small ones I'd rather just do frequent water changes.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Whoa, what kind of water conditioner doesn't do the main thing a water conditioner is supposed to do, namely get rid of the chlorine? Eek. Yeah, I'd definitely suggest a new brand like API Stress Coat, Seachem Prime, or Tetra AquaSafe.

How long ago did you buy your heater? If it was a while ago (like before May), then it could possibly be a recall model but if it was within the last two or three weeks, most likely not as pet stores had to yank them off the shelf.

Actually, you're lucky with Kumo. Black or even mostly black bettas are rare and highly prized and can sell for a lot from a breeder. That you found one at Wal-Mart and he wasn't dead yet is amazing. He's got amazing finnage. And Akio is a lovely color, like a persimmon. His fins are in pretty good condition considering he's from Petsmart. You've had some good finds.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #6 
xMandy

I'll have to get some flare pictures of Kumo. (If he'll at least do that for me :P)
I tend to only go looking for the nice finds at stores. Maybe I should look for some personality while I'm there.

I bought my heater in...march? April?
Gah I need to go find that letter!
They still had them on the shelf in petsmart. If it were recalled wouldn't they have removed them?

I'd have to go get the water stuff, but it's downstairs..and my foots asleep at the moment.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #7 
xMandy

Here we go :)
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #8 
Sakura8

I'm guessing your heater is okay - sounds like heaters 25W and up were recalled. Kumo's a handsome boy.