Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #1 
Bettalover22

Exclamation Ammonia poisoning!!!

I have a male & female betta in a planted 10 gallon aquarium (pics in profile) with sand. There was another male with a divider in there but I moved him into my hospital tank the other day because he shredded his fins playing in the baffel over the filter. Well yesterday I noticed the wounds on my female that told me the ammonia level was way to high. I lost a baby cuckoo catfish & 3 shrimp because of this. So I immediately did a 80% water change last night & plan on doing another one tonight. I am treating with a aquarium salt, melafix & maroxy to prevent any infection. I plan on doing about 80% water changes every 3rd day to keep the ammonia levels low until the beneficial bacteria have been established. My question is, is this a good treatment & is there anything else I should or shouldn't be doing? Females fins are still clammped & she seems to twitch alot, the male seems stressed & less active. Temp stays about 82F. Any help & info is greatly appreciated!
Bettalover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #2 
Sakura8

How serious are your girl's ammonia wounds? If they aren't too bad, just aquarium salt should be okay. The triple whammy right now might be too much. Put her in a hospital tank too, if you can. With aquarium salts and/or meds, it's best to change the water completely every day and you'll find it's soooo much easier to do in a small tank. Once she's better, you can move her back to her side of the 10g and resume cycling.

Do you have an ammonia test kit? When you're just starting out with a new tank and you're cycling it with fish, it's a godsend to have. Test the water every day to monitor the ammonia and when it gets over .25, do an immediate water change, about 50-70%. Keep testing and changing the water any time it gets over .25. Eventually, you'll find that the ammonia levels drop and the nitrite levels rise as the bacteria establishes itself. At this point, a nitrite test kit, or better, a whole master kit or test strip, will help. Test for the nitrites every day and again, if they get over the safe zone of your test strip/kit, do a water change. Repeat every day until you see the nitrite level drop and the nitrate level rise. Change the water as always and keep testing to monitor the levels. Once ammonia and nitrite stabilize at 0, your tank is cycled and all you have to do is watch for high nitrate levels.

Or, if you simply don't want to deal with any of this testing, then the best thing you can do is change 50% of the water every week. The tank will still cycle, just very slowly. The main thing is to stay on top of the water changes and not overload the biofilter with too many additions at once.

I hope both your bettas recover soon and get back to happy swimming.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #3 
Creat

I agree with getting them out. I would suggest getting them all separated and quarantined and going and doing a fish-less cycle. I would be most worried about your girls gills. If her gills still look healthy and pink I wouldnt stress to much and would try to to medicate them that much agreeing with the fact that it might be to much to handle, good clean water should work just as much.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Did you have the male and female together in the 10gal and then divided with a second male

How long has the tank been setup/running, type of filter and additive used

How many and what type of plants

What kind of testing products are you using and all the water pram numbers...for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #5 
Bettalover22

Girls wounds aren't to bad, just barely noticeable. I don't have an extra hospital tank right now & I don't mind changing the water in the 10g everyday if I have to. I don't have a test kit right now, I take all my water samples to the fish store every week to be tested. But it is starting to get annoying so I do plan on buying one soon. I did my other 10g tank the same way as this one and never had any problems. Also have a 55g that was set up the same way with no problems. I usually do 50% (give or take) water changes in all tanks every week & never had any problems until now. Both 10g do have a male & female together with a divider & another male. Havent had any problems with this yet. I keep a very close eye on them & will remove the females at the 1st sign of nipped fins or stress. The tank in question has been set up for 1 week, it has a aquatech 5-15g filter. Not crazy about it & plan on buying a diffrent one soon. I add kordon amquel plus ammonia detoxifier conditionet. It detoxifies nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, chlorine & chloramines. I have 3 diffrent types of amazon sword plants in the tank. I havent had the water tested in the tanks yet bcuz it was on my todo list for today. This tank has only been set up for one week. Not sure whythe ammonia levels were so high so fast when it has never happened to any of my other tanks & all have been set up & cycled the same way. Only diffrence is the problem tank has sand.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You keep posting high ammonia level...how do you know without testing....it sound more like injury and not ammonia...especially with the ammonia lock and plants with a 1 week old setup......

I would stop all the added products in the planted tank except for the dechlorinator and find something to keep the fish in separate container so they can't get to each other and start aquarium salt 1tap/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days...
Old 06-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #7 
Bettalover22

my male & female have never had a fight, they are both very calm fish. I watch them for hours a day. I can tell by the marks on her gills that it is from ammonia. And I have been adding salt. Iam going to have water tested later today.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Remember when using ammonia lock type products that water test may still show positive ammonia, however, it is ammonium and not toxic to fish but nitrifying bacteria and plants can still use it...the testing products can't tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium.....

Its what you don't see that can be problematic in regards to the interaction between the Bettas.....

Can you post a pic of the injury....that would be really helpful.....
Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #9 
Bettalover22

how do I post a pic on here?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #10 
Bettalover22

I don't think I can post pics on here with my smart phone, so I will create an album names sick bettas & put the pics there so everone can see them.