Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #1 
Kiwimommy

Is he just shy?

I have a new (have had him for about a week now) betta boy in a 2.5 gallon with a heater and everything..
and for some reason he is almost ALWAYS hiding. If I accidentally bump the tank when I'm going to feed him, he hides..
And just about any other time.
Is he sick? Shy? He looks fine, he's flared a few times and looks perfectly healthy..he's just always hiding!
Kiwimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Where is he hiding? In his plants or does he have a little cave or something to hide in? It's strange but the more hiding places a fish has, the more confidence it has and more it will be in the open. Just knowing they CAN hide if they want makes them not want to. That said, I'd say he's still just very shy and settling in.

My new girl was very much like that when I first got her. The moment I got near the tank she was off darting around like I was the swamp monster. She was so afraid of me she wouldn't come up to the surface to eat and I got so where I was afraid she wouldn't come up to get air either. But I spent a lot of time by her tank, sometimes just putting my face close and looking at her, sometimes putting my hand on the glass or even inside the tank. After a looong while, she realized I didn't mean her any harm and I even brought food and she started to swim around more. It really does take a while but just spending as much time near the tank is the best thing. Pull up a chair and watch TV or read a book. Once he realizes you're not only still there but you haven't harmed him, he'll come around.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #3 
Kiwimommy

He does have a few hiding spots... He either hides behind the heater, in a little pot (plant pot) under it, behind it.. Those are his favorite spots. Though I've seen him squeeze himself between the tank side and the thermometer a few times too!
Even when I'm not around he seems to be hiding. None of my other boys or my 2 girls are like this..
Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Does he at least come out of hiding long enough to eat? He must be super shy but be persistent and you'll win him over.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #5 
Kiwimommy

I think so... I haven't actually seen him eat yet.. My other boys go crazy if there's food but he doesn't.. haha
Old 06-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Not crazy over food? Make that super, super, super shy.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #7 
Kiwimommy

He's so pretty though.. bahaha.
Out of curiosity (Bad, I know..) I put one of the females in his tank for about 10 minutes.. of course I was watching them..
he came out of hiding, flared at her a bit, swam around all proud and excited, kept going back over and flaring some more..
Never nipped her fins, only chased her once and he didn't seem to be doing it aggressively..
Then he hid.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Well, it's not bad as long as you were watching, ready to intervene. It's only bad if you dump her in there and leave for two hours and come back to find a mangled mess. Often putting the female in with the male and observing like that is the only way breeders can tell if the female is ready to breed. But it's funny that he went and hid. So he's shy with the ladies too.

Uhm, judging by your signature . . . you're either trying to breed pond snails or you have a major infestation . . .
Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #9 
Kiwimommy

Oh no not trying to breed them. I only have 5 pond snails..but one keeps trying to lay eggs..
I just toss them in a jar of water and I'll probably see if the bettas will eat the snail babies when they hatch and get a little bigger..
Old 06-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I didn't think you were trying to breed them . . . from what I've heard pond snails are rather . . . productive.