Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Exclamation What is going on?

Ok,

The last time I posted about my boy possibly being sick you all thought he had an internal parasite. Since then he has been really active, and almost totally himself.

Lately I have noticed that his finnage (he is a veiltail) has gotten shorter in the top two of them.

This is his baby photo

The most upclose photo I have ever gotten of him when he was sick.

What am I looking at now?!

Please help me. I am leaving on Tuesday for 6 weeks. After I leave he will likely not be able to get any treatments for about 10 days until my mom returns from her trip. After she returns she can do treatments.
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are still having problems....it almost looks like tail biting.....we need some more information....

Tank size, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite/type/amount food, any tank mates, how long have you had him, other, if any behavior changes and signs/symptoms, what if any, recent treatments...explain.....

He is a lovey fella....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi. First, before your guy's fins shrank like that were there any black spots on the ends of them? If not, then it looks like your guy is a serious tailbiter or is getting large chunks caught in a plastic plant or decoration.

But if there were black spots on the ends, then it's pretty likely he has fin rot. Your mom will want to get him into a small QT tank with heater and add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. The water will have to be changed every day and the salt added again, though. Do this for ten days. If his fins are still deteriorating, then she can try maracyn.

Posted a second too late again. Edit: follow OFL's instructions
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #4 
JeanLuc2

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees I think. Can't read a meat thermomater and I am not sure I have very much faith in my new thermomater.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes but he lost the privilage of having it when he got stuck in it. I have yet to figure out how to keep him from getting stuck in it. If you have any advice please let me know.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Look up.
Is your tank heated? Yes but I am not exactly sure I have much faith in it. If you have advice let me know please.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, at the moment 3 pellets. (He got 4 the day we had a tornado warning...the 4th pellet was a treat)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime by SeaChem

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Don't have a test kit
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Finnage shorter
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is more active and more himself but yet he seems slightly down.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I just started noticing this a few days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I don't know what I am looking at so I don't know exactly how to treat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes
How old is your fish (approximately)? 10 months

I did not notice any black spots just his new finnage that was red, and silver. I was really proud of this new finnage and now I am sad cause most of it is gone.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #5 
JeanLuc2

Also, no live plants..bad experience with the Java Fern in his baby picture.

He only has:
His log, Pirate Skull that is mostly buried under rocks, and his Plastic Plant that is really soft.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #6 
Sakura8

If there weren't any black spots that looked like his fin was rotting off then I wonder if he isn't just a severe tailbiter. How long ago did he get himself stuck in the filter? Could his tail have been damaged in that incident? He's lovely and I wish I could have seen his new finnage.

What happened with your Java Fern? Me, I didn't plant mine deep enough or something and it up and died.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
What happened with your Java Fern? Me, I didn't plant mine deep enough or something and it up and died.
You don't plant it, lol. That's why yours died. You tie it to a rock or driftwood, and it adheres itself to it after awhile.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #8 
JeanLuc2

After the filter getting stuck he was fine but really scared; no fin damage. He got really lucky I had just gotten up and saw him after going to the bathroom and came to rescue him. That happend maybe in October or November or December. It's been a while so I don't totally remember what month it was.

I got the Java Fern at the same time I got my handsome little man, and clueless as I was I packed it under a little bit of rocks to keep it from floating to the top and him being tempted to either eat the roots or get sick from them being exposed.

Thanks...his new finnage was so beautiful. Silver and red....the only last bits of it left are on his beard. The red was on the other edges of the rest of the finnage. I miss it :'(
Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
You don't plant it, lol. That's why yours died. You tie it to a rock or driftwood, and it adheres itself to it after awhile.
Hahahaha! So that's why it died. Sheesh, I don't think I'm cut out of aquatic gardening.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuc2 View Post
After the filter getting stuck he was fine but really scared; no fin damage. He got really lucky I had just gotten up and saw him after going to the bathroom and came to rescue him. That happend maybe in October or November or December. It's been a while so I don't totally remember what month it was.

I got the Java Fern at the same time I got my handsome little man, and clueless as I was I packed it under a little bit of rocks to keep it from floating to the top and him being tempted to either eat the roots or get sick from them being exposed.

Thanks...his new finnage was so beautiful. Silver and red....the only last bits of it left are on his beard. The red was on the other edges of the rest of the finnage. I miss it :'(
So it's not the filter that ate his fins. Perhaps a tailbiter then . . . he may have bitten off his own fins to keep fin rot from growing. I'd suggest aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon and lots of water changes. The key is to get his fins to grow back without them developing an infection. OFL may have better advice, though.