Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #11 
JeanLuc2

I don't think I am cut out for aquatic gardening either. It looks like we may have another tornado warning coming for us......that's only from looking out my back windows. the storm coming in has a really good structure and may be rotating. This may be interesting.
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Life's exciting in Kansas, huh? My mom has family in Iowa and Nebraska, similar thing. Stay safe.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #13 
JeanLuc2

Ya..we're already in for it later tonight. That storm I thought was rotating actually isn't. Are you sure what was fin growth was indeed fin rot not healthy fin growth?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #14 
KayDowson

yup im feelin ur pain... the midwest is no fun
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #15 
bettafish15

Finrot is black edges on fins
New Growth is clear edges on fins
Tailbiting is raggedly fins when there are so sharp plants in tank.

You're fish is likely tailbiting because he's stressed/bored, thats why they tailbite. Not to keep finrot at bay :P They don't think like that. You keep finrot away by giving them clean water, which makes new fin growth.

Tailibiting may never stop, some bettas just never quit the habit. Just keep his water clean, and him entertained. Thats all you can do :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Enh? Uhm . . . do you mean that pretty new growth he lost already? You think perhaps that was fin rot all along and not really new growth?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Finrot is black edges on fins
New Growth is clear edges on fins
Tailbiting is raggedly fins when there are so sharp plants in tank.

You're fish is likely tailbiting because he's stressed/bored, thats why they tailbite. Not to keep finrot at bay :P They don't think like that. You keep finrot away by giving them clean water, which makes new fin growth.

Tailibiting may never stop, some bettas just never quit the habit. Just keep his water clean, and him entertained. Thats all you can do :)
There's a theory that the fish may sense fin rot on his own and bite off the affected finnage to prevent it from spreading. It's based on evidence from previously peaceful and utterly nonviolent dogs who have bitten off the infected toes of their owners, owners who had no idea the toe was infected in the first place and who would've likely have had the infection spread to the rest of the foot, ultimately losing it, if the dog had not bitten off the toe when it did. Also, it is possible fin rot is painful for the fish and he may bite off the painful part of his tail.

This theory, however, is obviously not circumstantiated and has no concrete scientific evidence. Although the dogs who bit off their owner's toes, that is true.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Tailbiting can be frustrating......and sometimes you they never stop no matter what you do.....

In the 2gal unfiltered tank....I would increase the water changes to twice weekly..1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #19 
JeanLuc2

Well I went over to say hello to my little boy after I got back to church and, it looks like he may have some growth coming again :D. The boredom theory sounds about right given that I don't really know much about toys & decorations for fish. Do you have any advice about that??

With the bowl cleanings Jean-Luc is actually going to get two water cleanings this week. I cleaned it on Wedsday night so my mom would know what to do (I was teaching her) before she left on Thursday, and I am going to have to clean it again probably tommorow afternoon so that he has a clean place to live until my mom gets back.

I am extremely worried about any sharp plants hurting him so all of his decorations and plants are quite soft.

These are the decorations and plants that he has:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3956162 (He LOVES this. His favorite thing ever)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147270 (When I inspected it it seemed really soft. He likes to sleep in it with his nose touching the bottom of the inside of the plant.)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4055997 (This is not currently in use cause I need to figure something out to keep the leaf in the suction cup. Hopefully when I get it fixed he ends up loving it.)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4008716 (This is buried within a LOT of rocks so the knife can't really poke him or cut him.)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4134008 (This is the heater...the smaller model. He has recently gotten addicted to sleeping in between the heater and the wall with hsi stomach resting near/on the heater itself.)

Anything I need to remove and/or replace? What could I improve????

Thanks for all of the help :D
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #20 
JeanLuc2

Sakura: Yes it was his beautiful brand new fin growth he started getting in December/January/Febuary. I highly doubt it was fin rot. No black spots, mostly silver with the red coloring of the wild type colorings. That growth was how I figured out he was a wild type. I don't have a clue why he bit it off if that is indeed what happend.