Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #11 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I wouldn't use the manure type soils this could cause algae issue....you want some type of regular organic type potting soil, top soil or if you live in an area that is free of pesticide you can go dig dirt out of your yard and use this.

Although hornwort is a nice plant-I wouldn't use this and it is really not good planted...stem plants are important for many reasons and needed for soil based tanks-fast growth that will use ammonia and DOC's, roots send oxygen into the soil to prevent anaerobic areas, easy to propagate, plant and generally easy to grow to name a few reasons they are important for a successful soil based tank.
Aracharis-a good plant but not always dependable for soil based tanks..

Wisteria is a good choice......moneywort I have never kept this plant to know much about it...

As I posted earlier-it is important to start with several different types of stem plants since they can be different in every tank...some do great and other don't......usually stem plants are sold in bunches of 6-12 stems and in a 10gal tank I would start with at least 2 bunches of 4 different species of stems....you can plant other types of plants too...like vals, sags, swords, crypt and as the tank mature and the soil starts its life underwater you can start removing some of the stem plants to use in another new planted tank...lol.....giving the rosette plants more room to grow and reproduce so their babies can be moved to the new tanks...lol....you start with one tank and usually the plant growth with soil based tanks are so fast that soon you are setting up that second, third...etc.....just for all the plant growth.....often you only need to buy plants once....lol......planted tanks can be addictive.....lol.....

Soil based tanks are meant to be low tech, low light and low care...but lots of fun....you don't need added ferts, CO2 or even filtration unless you want the water movement......the tank is somewhat self contained little ecosystem that create everything it needs once it has matured....
Thanks for the info Guru. I was already looking at CO2 and all that, glad I don't have to. And I am guessing you keep a lot more then just bettas, right?
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:14 AM   #12 
Bettawolf19

I love living in the country and knowing whats going on so its great to know I can use my soil from the ground. I figure I would get it from below my deck just in case to avoid any weedkiller or anything that could be left over. My deck's about 15 ft out so i'll get the dirt from the middle back by the house where the weedkiller never reaches. Is there any good way to get any unwanted bugs out of it just in case? I was planning on doing a layer of soil on the bottom of a tub and putting some water over it for a bit to drive out any burrowed big bugs and run a hose through it both to rince and clean any rocks or the like.

For lighting I think I'm gonna do what my brother has which is a light strip with glass over the top of the tank, cut in half to allow the other half to be open.

So far here is my list of planned plants:

Water Wisteria
Echinodorus Bleheri (amazon sword)
Hygrophila Angustifolia
Lugwigia Arcuata
Lugwigia Glandulosa
Amazon Frogbit
Rotala Indica

Does anyone have any knowledge of sweetaquatics.com? Because that's what I used to calculate the prices and it comes out to be around $17 for almost 2 of each plus about $10.50 for shipping so roughly around $28ish bucks give or take.

Sound good?
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #13 
Bettawolf19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

Wisteria is a good choice......moneywort I have never kept this plant to know much about it...
I have moneywort and I love it which is even better seeing as I bought it on a whim. It seems to me that it likes brighter lights then others but beware. Mine once in awhile will loose leaves but soon replace them but that could just be my tank. It also has an interresting way to sprout new leaves. At first when you see it it looks like its going to bloom kinda looking like a tulip before it opens but when it does it reveals its actually new leaves.

Here's a picture of one thats in my 3 gal thats around 9 or 10 inches(the wisteria is on the right as well as jude's tailfin) :
Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Yes, I keep and breed several different fish species and inverts as well as plants for re-sale and/or store credit to pay for my hobby....

Using dirt from your yard...sift well and remove any big pieces of stuff...just like with potting soil.....best to sift first and as far as bugs.....I don't ever worry about them...once they are underwater they usually drown and die becoming part of the little ecosystem feeding plants and producing natural CO2 from decomp......

Sweetaquatics was one of the place I ordered my start of plants and was very happy with them, however, this also was a long time ago....lol...and when they offered Free shipping on orders over $30.00...that was a good deal....and the selling point when I was looking for plants....when I bought from them they also grew all their plants submersed and so you didn't have the emersed/submersed growth issues......very happy with quality and number of plants
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #15 
Bettawolf19

Well that's easier to do i suppose I just don't want any nasty giant bettles to crawl out and in to my room but I suppose they would all be shifted away when I take all the big stuff out.

That's great to know that they have great service. I don't really mind the $10.50 shipping because in reality its cheaper still to go to them then to buy them from a Petsmart or the like. As for my list is that a good number of stem plants? Also am I able to plant my amazon sword in there as well? Or should I wait until the stem's do their job? sorry for all the questions. I don't want to mess this up.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Plant and scape the tank how you want the finial look with the rosette and hard scape items...you want to limit too much moving and re-planting that you can in the beginning...so yes, plant the swords and other rosette type plants...but be aware some species of swords can out grow a 10gal fairly fast.....I use amazon swords in mine and try to keep them kinda stunted in away....by pinching the outer/larger leaves on a regular basis, however, they can get a pretty big root mass too ans when happy they will send out runners usually from the top but I have had them shoot out from the bottom too

Once the tank matures-you can start removing some of the stem plants to give the other more room/light to grow

In my soil based tanks-I pinch the stem plants at the base and then replant so I don't disrupt the soil too much...sometime they may grow again but usually the root will go ahead and die and the decomp just adds more nutrients to the soil for the other plants and the decomp also adds small amount of CO2...so all is good....lol.....

Even when I do disrupt the soil layer from pulling and/or planting...the soil that is kicked up will settle pretty fast and so I don't stress over it...if you use a filter it is a good idea to turn if off to limit any soil/sand from getting into the impeller if its an HOB type filter that is...lol.....

Plant list is good, however, be aware that the red plants may not stay red in low/mod light tanks and in soil based tanks they are more a low tech type setup and if you add too much light you can end up with an algae farm....all be it...some algae can be pretty, expected and normal...you still want to keep it under control so it doesn't out compete the plants for all the nutrients, light...etc.....
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #17 
Bettawolf19

I wonder if it would be best to get a strip and try a 25watt bulb? To see if it is to much and if it is then switch out the bulb for a 15watt perhaps. I don't know the details on lights to know if you ahve two bulbs of 15 if that equals 30 watts together or not. Though I think I do want to go with strips rather then a hood then i'll just ahve me dad cut some pexiglass to fi the top :)
Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #18 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettawolf19 View Post
I wonder if it would be best to get a strip and try a 25watt bulb? To see if it is to much and if it is then switch out the bulb for a 15watt perhaps. I don't know the details on lights to know if you ahve two bulbs of 15 if that equals 30 watts together or not. Though I think I do want to go with strips rather then a hood then i'll just ahve me dad cut some pexiglass to fi the top :)
2 15watt bulbs would be the same as 1 30watt bulb. So you would be good with that if you want that much light. You could always go for a T5HO fixture, but that may be too much light for your application.
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Watts are an old term and just to give a general idea...what is more important is the kelvin and what the plant use for energy......
Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #20 
Bettawolf19

Yes right of course.

Now to find an affordable strip light hmm. What lights do you use OldFishLady?

Tags
10 gallon tank