Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #1 
CyerRyn

New Betta + torn fins

I had a post on "Betta Chat" about this guy. He's a halfmoon that I believe bit off his fins. There appears to be some new growth but it's not much of an improvement from last week Saturday. The container he's in is "I think" 1gal it might be a little less so I gave him 3/4tsp of AQ salt + API Stress Coat conditioner (recommended dose for 1gal). I was worried about his chubbiness, though he doesn't look as chubby as he did last Saturday. I was also curious if it's okay to put in plants in his QT tank? Will the plants survive the salt treatment? Here's some pictures of the damage:

The fish store owner only charged me $6.99 for him.. he's such a cutie!! Btw, my son and I named him "Snapper".
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 
CyerRyn

Well since no one responded I put the plants in there anyway. If they start dying I guess I'll just pull them out. Snapper seems to be doing really well in his QT tank. I have him set up right next to my PC so he can get used to seeing me. He's very active looks extremely happy. Hope his attitude doesn't change and helps aid in his fins healing. He was VERY beautiful when I first saw him, it's such a shame to see his fins gone. What's even greater about him is I believe he's my Blue/metallic halfmoon's (Trogdor) brother. Once most of his fins are healed he'll get to share the 7gal with him.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

Snapper is really cute! Sorry about his fins... It sounds like you are on top of things. Just make sure you are performing plenty of water changes (100% every other day at the least) and a heater would help too. You can check to see how much the tank can hold by pouring in water from a clean 1 gal jug.

Why do you think he's your blue betta's brother? Did you get them from the same breeder? That would be cool :)

The plants will probably die... they don't like salt.

Good luck with him, it's nice that there is already some regrowth!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #4 
CyerRyn

The fish store I bought them from buys from the same breeder in Florida and both boys came in the same shipment and are the same size/both halfmoons. I will be changing the water 100% everyday there's no heater in it since its hot and humid and all my tanks atm are sitting at 82F.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #5 
CyerRyn

*Overnight Update*
He won't eat.. all his food lays on the bottom of his QT tank.. which is okay.. I'm not gonna worry about that yet since he's only been with me for about 24hrs. He built me a beautiful bubble nest over night so I think that's a sign that I'm doing at least something right. I put his tank next to his brothers tank to get him some activity.. and it worked! He's flaring away. I'll take that as a good sign and that I have a healthy wittle boy. :) I can't believe how adorable he is even w/shredded fins. I'm in loooove!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #6 
CyerRyn

Sorry to bump this up but I have a question.

How long am I suppose to keep him quarantined with the salt treatment before adding him into the bigger tank?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #7 
GunsABlazin

you should only do a salt treatment for 10 days.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #8 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsABlazin View Post
you should only do a salt treatment for 10 days.
Thank you for the fast reply!! 9 more days to go then!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #9 
GunsABlazin

:) no problem.
His fins should start growing back quite well. If you need to Re-do the salt treatment, you might want to ask one of the SR members how long you should wait to start again.
Fins grow slow, but steadily.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote