Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #1 
BettaParent89

Exclamation Another problem?! Desperate!!!

This is the most we have ever posted on this forum because Bart has been experiencing what we think is fin rot, so we have been asking lot of questions of what to do through our process of getting our Betta better. But now a new problem has arisen; yesterday we discovered poop hanging down from his middle fins in the front and he's look a tiny bit bloated.

What are we doing wrong?!

We moved him to a bigger tank [a 2 gallon tank from a 1 gallon bowl], started on an aquarium salt treatment (and continuing with our water conditioner) and have been feeding him new food [Aqueon Betta Food] in smaller amounts (now like 3 pellets once a day). We also purchased a heater and thermometer at Walmart two days ago, which has been keeping Bart's water at a steady 74 degrees, but on the package it says that it's preset at 78 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees.

We just don't understand what is going on and what we are doing wrong. Our only Betta that we've had for two years is now laying in a corner and seems unhappy. His fins arn't clasped the last time I looked at him, no cloudy eyes, nothing. It's just his fin are yucky and now he's a little bloated.

Should we have not changed foods? Should we take back that heater? What should we do? We are desperate!
BettaParent89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic...

How much and how often are the water changes, filter, live plants and additives used....any change in appetite.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #3 
BettaParent89

I'm not able to post a new picture of him at the moment, but when I get home I will. As for everything else: Today he is due for a 100% water change and new salt (the plan is to change his water every other day doing 100% changes b/c of the salt treatment), we do not have a filter for him, no live plants just this plastic one he has had forever (thinking about live though), we use Aqua Safe conditioner for the water and before yesterday there was no change in appetite that I have noticed. But today we are starting to fast him for a couple of days and then feed him peas (that's what we read to do on another forum).
Old 06-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

What was the regular water change schedule before he got sick....

For bloat, constipation I would use Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal while in a small QT container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range....along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days-hold food for 3 days-then offer small frequent meals

Sadly, you may be seeing end of life symptoms.....average live span is 2-3 years...rarely 4-5 years......but don't give up........
Old 06-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #5 
BettaParent89

We used to change his water maybe every three to four days? and we did 100% changes then too, until we found out we should have been doing 70-80% changes to keep some good bacteria in.

So do you think we should return this heater and go purchase another one?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #6 
BettaParent89

UPDATE: he's now laying tilited.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #7 
Punki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

For bloat, constipation I would use Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal while in a small QT container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range....along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days-hold food for 3 days-then offer small frequent meals

Sadly, you may be seeing end of life symptoms.....average live span is 2-3 years...rarely 4-5 years......but don't give up........
Id say to do this, what oldfishlady suggests, get a gallon of water, condition it and put the epsom salt in, let it dissolve then float a container (about the size he came in) in his tank so he can stay warm and change out his epsom salt water with new epsom salt water from the treated jug of water daily.
Poor guy, Hes lived a long life for sure so good job for that. If he has any life left in him the epsom salt treatment would do some good. Plus the smaller container allows him to get air more easily since hes having problems.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #8 
BettaParent89

I think we discovered the cause to him not feeling well from yesterday and today...We seemed to have put wayyy too much aquarium salt that was actually recommend on the package. Instead of putting 1/4 tsp per gallon, we put 1 tsp per gallon, we think he got sick from that. Today we did like a 95% change and didn't add any more salt. We hope that was the only thing bothering him.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

The salt level you used should be safe...you can use up to 3tsp/gal with this species without any problems generally...so I don't think it was the salt, however, for the symptoms he is having right now- Epsom salt would be better not aquarium salt......hope he gets better......
Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #10 
BettaParent89

Ok, we will try the epsom salt. You said we should do this for 10-14 days with 100% changes each day?

The reason why we were using the aquarium salt is because we think he might have fin rot because his fins are a lot smaller than they used to be and we heard somewhere on this forum that aquairium salt was good to use for that.

If you need better pictures of Bart in his current state, we will take them.
Attached Images