Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #1 
Nexangelus

Rescued quite a peculiar betta today...

Hello there! I think I've introduced myself on this forum... But it's definitely been a while and I don't have the best memory.

Anyways, I work at my LFS and get to observe quite a few bettas on a daily basis in addition to the breeding I've been doing for a while. I picked one up today that I found rather odd. He's of the super delta variety and has an unbelievable color to him. Has a good temperament, blew an astonishing bubble nest even in a small container...

He's perfect, except for the fact that his fins look like someone took a curling iron to them. I looked around online, as this phenomenon is new to me and was only able to find ones that have slightly frayed, or growing back tips that have curled. Literally all the fins on this guy are curled in. I think it looks cool, but it's far from normal, as was his behavior in my tank.

He's in a 10 gallon with some tetras and a cory and started acting weird straight out of the bag. He immediately flew out of the bag and got his tail suctioned by my filter. I watched for a moment, before noticing he wasn't trying to escape at all. I turned the filter off to prevent fin damage. 10 minutes later, I turned the filter on and he darted right into it again! He finally stopped doing that the third time, then proceeded to flare and wedge himself in a corner upside-down for roughly 15 minutes.

It looks like the fins are giving him trouble swimming. He's flapping awfully hard just to move at a standard pace, and appears to get winded after a hard swim. Mostly though, he's stationary and resting against my java fern, with the occasional trip to the surface for air.

It's hard to tell, and maybe I'm paranoid... But he appears to breath ever so slightly more frequently than the average betta.

Oh, and of course, tank parameters are all. All of my bettas who inhabited it previously (who are now in my spawn tank) never had a single problem and have always thrived, despite the moderate hardness of the water (not a fan of chemicals to treat water)

I'll attach a picture. I'm wondering if he's a famous "rosetail" I've read about, or if it's some other type of birth defect. I've never seen a case of a small living space curling fins, but I hear it's possible.

Additionally, the tank does have some pretty strong lighting (4.8 wpg) as the tank is in the process of being converted to "heavily planted" status. Until next Friday, there's only parrotgrass, java fern and fluorite substrate.

Well, I don't think I've missed a single detail in that obnoxiously long rant. Hopefully I didn't bore you too much. Look forward to hearing your guys opinion on this interesting betta. I'm no novice, but a diagnosis is beyond my expertise. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Attached Images

Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Nexangelus, welcome to the forum. What a stunner! He's super good-looking, like the Hugh Jackman of fish. But he also sounds like he's nuts, like the Charlie Sheen of fish. As for his fins . . . I'm not sure, I've always thought the rosetail variety was a cross between a crowntail and a halfmoon tail. That is, the fullness of a halfmoon tail but with the extended rays of a crowntail. Maybe you've stumbled onto another tail variety. I'm just not sure about that. See if they ever uncurl, I guess. All I can suggest is if he starts to struggle a lot to get to the surface to breathe, then you may have to keep him in a shallower, smaller tank to make swimming easier for him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #3 
cajunamy
Banned

rosetail is a halfmoon, but such an extreme halfmoon with so many rays and branching that the fins kind of ripple, looking like a rose.

my guess would be his fins are large and beautiful, and living in cramped quarters curled them .. such a shame :(

he's gorgeous though! sounds really spazzy though lol
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #4 
Luimeril

often, with crowntails and Halfoons(and all HM varients), bad water quality can cause their fins to curl up. well, not always BAD water, since hard water does it too(such is the case of my Crowntail, Zidane). sometimes, clean water helps it out, but not always, as in my case. x: Zidane is forever sporting Shirley Temple Curls, as i call them.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 AM   #5 
Nexangelus

Thank you for the warm welcome, Sakura! I was actually just admiring your avatar fish in a previous thread. So pretty! Now you've got me questioning this rosetail. Google images show a completely different fish than what was described in a book I read... Hm....

I was actually thinking of what to name him... But now all I can think of is Hugh Jackman and Charlie Sheen! The latter definitely fits his personality type. He's a weirdo, but seems to be calming down and coming to grips with reality (sound familiar?)

Very solid advice on the shallow tank. I'll keep a close eye on him and make sure he's okay. I'll be sure to post updates on him frequently.

As of right now, he's exploring a bit. He's quite enthralled by his own reflection (I would be too if I looked that good!) and seems to have made my java fern, conveniently located far away from the filter, his home. Behavior seems stable. A bit twitchy, but nothing that alarms me yet - he's only been in the tank 5 hours or so.

Oh how cool would that be if he was some sort of special tail variety. I'd get to name him, too! Think Charlie Sheen would approve of me naming a fish variety after him?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #6 
Nexangelus

CajunAmy: Guess my sources on rosetails weren't credible. I was under the impression the folded fins formed a "rose center" of sorts. Maybe I read it wrong or didn't recall correctly. Thanks for clearing that up!

Guess it could be cramping. He hasn't been in the store for long, but I can't speak for his living conditions prior to that. Think it will work itself out under ideal living conditions?

I love your avatar by the way, it reminds me of a lionfish. So beautiful!

Luimeril: The water quality could have been poor prior to coming in to the store. The water in this area is definitely hard, and minor curling would be understandable - but this is on a whole new wavelength! Would you mind linking me of pictures of Zidane (FF9 reference?)? I'd love to see him and compare!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexangelus View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome, Sakura! I was actually just admiring your avatar fish in a previous thread. So pretty! Now you've got me questioning this rosetail. Google images show a completely different fish than what was described in a book I read... Hm....

I was actually thinking of what to name him... But now all I can think of is Hugh Jackman and Charlie Sheen! The latter definitely fits his personality type. He's a weirdo, but seems to be calming down and coming to grips with reality (sound familiar?)

Very solid advice on the shallow tank. I'll keep a close eye on him and make sure he's okay. I'll be sure to post updates on him frequently.

As of right now, he's exploring a bit. He's quite enthralled by his own reflection (I would be too if I looked that good!) and seems to have made my java fern, conveniently located far away from the filter, his home. Behavior seems stable. A bit twitchy, but nothing that alarms me yet - he's only been in the tank 5 hours or so.

Oh how cool would that be if he was some sort of special tail variety. I'd get to name him, too! Think Charlie Sheen would approve of me naming a fish variety after him?
You're welcome, it's always good to have another betta buff here. And my betta Sherman, the handsome guy in the avatar, thanks you too. He's so vain.

I'm not sure about bettas but I have read about other fish in who, if they lived or are living in very cramped quarters, develop stunted growth. An example I read about was a type of large catfish with huge barbels (the whiskers). If it's not kept in a tank large enough for it to stretch out its barbels without them reaching either side of the tank, the barbels tend to grow stunted or curl. So cajunamy may be onto something, that living in a cup caused his fins to curl. But then again, it could be a weird genetic thing. I guess the only way to tell would be to breed him and see if any of the fry come up with curly fins. But only do that if you're prepared for it. From what I hear, caring for betta fry can be an undertaking since you have to keep every single male separate. So if you have 20 little males in a spawn, that's 20 little cups you have to keep clean and heated. Yikes.

I imagine as crazy as Charlie Sheen is he wouldn't mind having a fish named after him. Just don't tell him you're naming it after him because the fish is crazy.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #8 
Nexangelus

Good to be around people who don't think my betta keeping/breeding is a waste of time. :) What species of betta is he? As I've demonstrated, my betta identification skills apparently leave a lot to be desired!

Hm, I'll have to check with my boss on that and possibly contact our supplier. I figure he may be honest if I approach him in a non-accusatory, strictly-scientific sort of manner. Worth a try anyways. Could be an odd case where he was super-sensitive to being cramped. Hey, if humans can have medical anomalies, why couldn't bettas?

Would the chance of him passing on the gene for the curled fins be fairly high, or would you say at least some of the spawn are guaranteed to display it if it is in fact genetic? Breeding is no problem at all, I happen to have had quite a bit of success breeding bettas thus far. It's a pain in the butt at times, but how can you be upset after seeing 400 smiling fry who require daily water changes? ;)

Yeah, Charlie... It's because he's so good looking - he reminded me of you! It has nothing to do with the fact that he's swimming upside down and getting up close and personal with my filter... Honest!

If that doesn't work, I'm sure Steven Colbert would let me name it after him. Unless he already has a fish species under his name... Wouldn't surprise me!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Hahah, I only think betta breeding is a waste of time because I don't have the space and I'm jealous. I'd have to get rid of most of my furniture. Just have little jars of bettas all over the floor, running around with a pitcher of water. "Gotta change one more jar, just one more!" *voice increasingly higher in pitch*

Sherman is a halfmoon tail. Or at least that's what it said on his little Petco cup. All I know for sure is he's not a veiltal and he's not a crowntail. He's also a goofball. I also have a little veiltail female who is sort of goldish red and I just got another little female who is so stressed from being at Petsmart that I can't tell what color she is yet.

Genetics are a mystery to me, I'm still trying to figure my own out. And there really aren't any other bettas at your LFS with their tails curled like that? I know I've never seen any and I assume your bettas are kept in pretty much the same kind of cup as most other bettas. Weird. I'd say when he's settled in and healthy, get him a girl and see what happens. Then you can be the crazy one with all the jars. :D

Steven Colbert . . . Colbert. I like that. I don't know if he has anything named after him but I know the cartoonist Gary Larson has a flea or a fly or a mosquito or some kind of bloodsucking insect named after him. The Betta Charliesheeniscrazius. Sure, sounds way better than Betta Splendens.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #10 
Nexangelus

The jars thing is actually a myth. Assuming you don't have an ungodly amount of fish reach maturity, they can live together just fine in the same tank. It's quite odd, but I believe it has to do with how fish are bred in stores. Domesticated bettas act completely different. They get nippy once they're older, but for the first 2 months or so, you're golden. Then, you sell them to a LFS and ask them to supply the cups! ;)

Regardless of what Sherman is, he sure is a good looking fish! I wonder if he gets made fun of for being pink though... Females change colors like crazy when placed in ideal environments. I had one that was purple in the store - two months later, it was black with mint specks on it. They don't handle the stress well at all and it shows!

I've been working there for a few months now and have never seen anything even close to this. The fancy, non-veiltail varieties are kept in a much larger "jar" of sorts, opposed to the normal cup. About 3 times the size. Oddly enough, I've also never seen one blow a bubble nest like he has in a jar. It was absolutely massive.

You've got me curious now... I know who I'm breeding next!

Steven Colbert has an icecream, space station, eagle, bear and a bunch of other stuff named after him. I'm sure a fish would be a welcome addition. ;)

Fishy (tentative name) seems pretty stable for now. He's just lounging around on the plants - seems a bit less on edge. He also ate a pellet, so I'm feeling pretty positive he'll pull through. He still needs a name though... But all that comes to mind at the moment is: Hugh, Charlie and Colbert... I wonder who's to blame for that!

Off to bed for me. Nice talking to you guys... Look forward to posting more on this forum! I'll keep this thread up to date on "fishy's" progress.