Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #1 
metalbetta

Last One Standing...

Okay...
Hopefully, the flesh eating bacteria that has taken hold in my home is about gone... Just lost Daiquiri this morning to dropsy caused by it.

The last one I have with any sign of illness is Jayde. She has a small spot (just a few scales) that isn't looking quite right.
Currently I'm treating her with Triple Sulfa and epsom salt, and I can't tell if it's working. My worry is that the bacteria has become resistant with as much as I've had to treat it.
What I'm looking for is possibly a stronger antibiotic known to treat aggressive columnaris than Triple Sulfa.

Pictures:

You can see it at some angles, others you cant.

Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated! I'd be torn apart if I lost another one to this disease.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Was Daquiri a girl in the same tank as Jayde? If so, it may help to remove Jayde from her tank, tear it down and scrub it with vinegar and hot water.

I don't know much about medications beyond Melafix and Pimafix, both of which I've heard about but not had to use yet. However, I'd suggest going to the Foster and Smith Aquatics website and their medication page.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...ps/c/3578/4615
Also, this might be extremely helpful.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...=2004&aid=1338
It's a guide to the different medications they have available. It sounds like they carry some pretty powerful stuff, like amoxicillin and penicillin. I don't know how bettas hold up to any of those medications though, so if you have any doubt I'd suggest contacting a veterinarian and asking them.

Also, I'm sorry to hear you lost your Daquiri. It sounds like you've been battling this for a while now so I hope your long siege is coming to a happy ending soon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #3 
metalbetta

They were originally in the same sorority, but they've all been separated for over a month now... Jayde just started showing symptoms about a week ago. I reeeeally miss my sorority.

And I was actually about to ask about a good way to sanitize the 10 gallon without using bleach. OR if I should toss it and get a new tank. I really don't want to risk the girls getting sick again.

I'll check out those links, thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #4 
Sakura8

If you really feel like the tank is cursed, you can always toss it and get a new one. I don't blame you for wanting to do that. :( In theory, I've read that you can use chlorine to clean a tank as long as you use a lot of dechlorinator afterward but I wouldn't risk it. Hot water, vinegar and a good long rinse should sanitize that tank as best as possible. I hope Jayde pulls through this, I'm rooting for her. Go Jayde Go!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #5 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If you really feel like the tank is cursed, you can always toss it and get a new one. I don't blame you for wanting to do that. :( In theory, I've read that you can use chlorine to clean a tank as long as you use a lot of dechlorinator afterward but I wouldn't risk it. Hot water, vinegar and a good long rinse should sanitize that tank as best as possible. I hope Jayde pulls through this, I'm rooting for her. Go Jayde Go!

Sorry about the problems with your bettas, and good luck with helping Jayde.

Just wanted to relate a tank cleaning experience with you... I'm not recommending nor saying you shouldn't clean with bleach, but several days ago I cleaned out my 10 gallon with bleach for my 1 day old molly fry. They had no problems. I used about a 5% solution and then rinsed it outside with the hose for about 5 minutes. I tipped the tank almost upside down and hosed the inside on a fairly strong spray of water. Then, soaked the tank right to the top with clean water with double or triple dechlorinator for a few hours.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #6 
metalbetta

I've used bleach before and it seems to work... I just need to go get more. I don't know, I'll figure something out... But I won't be putting together the sorority for at least the next month. Hopefully the dry, empty conditions in the tank will kill off some of the bacteria.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....from my understanding flex is resistant to the sulfa drugs and has been for years.....

If it is Flexibacter-this is a pathogen that is ever present in the tank and no amount of cleaning will get it out since a sterile environment is not healthy and difficult to sustain life-but it is still a good idea to do a good cleaning after an outbreak especially when several fish have the same symptoms-bleach is good for this-and any leftover bleach residue can be taken care of with a dechlorinator........ as long as the fish have a strong/healthy immune response and don't experience any sudden high temps, high stress etc.... it shouldn't be problematic, however, since stress is a big cause of suppressed immune response and often sorority tanks can be high stress environments....well........sometimes you just have to hope for the best.....again sorry for your loss......

The best treatment I have found for slow moving Flex....high doses of sodium chloride-(aquarium salt) 3tsp/gal, lower water temp (75-76F) and aeration.....this creates an environment that this bacteria have a hard time thriving/colonizing in.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #8 
metalbetta

OFL You know I love you, right? lol
I'm pretty sure at this point it's flexibacter. It's been a heck of a war in my home for the last couple months...
I have several air pumps that I can use, Just need to figure them out! lol
So far on Jayde it seems to be moving very slowly if it's not stopped altogether... She's on a combo of Triple Sulfa and the Jungle antibacterial pellets. I'll try your method with her, hopefully things work out! Thanks!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #9 
Wyvern

Metalbetta, when you do clean the tank if its possible at all, leave it outside in the sun after washing it with the bleach mix. Also leave it out for at least 2 or 3 days. The sun will help kill what is left over and it also helps getting rid of the bleach. Its how we always clean tanks after such an event.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote