Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #1 
soleilvie

My betta is not active anymore. It looks like he's dying...

I've only been able to successfully feed my fish once or twice in the past week because he doesn't come up for food. I hadn't seen him for the past two days so I lifted up his rock and he barely moved. Now he's just lying by the side of the rock. It looks like he's "panting" or something. I'm really not sure what's wrong.

Housing

What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes, but I don't have it on because it's summer and my room is very warm (the water gets to 80 degrees by itself)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually every other day but he hasn't eaten for a few days

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every few weeks (my tank is cycled)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20
pH: 8
Hardness: I don't know exactly, but I know my water is hard
Alkalinity: Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He looks very pale and has clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He doesn't swim around, just stays in one place at the bottom of the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? On and off for the past two months
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for about a year, plus however long he was in the pet store for

Here's a picture of him:

:(

Last edited by soleilvie; 06-10-2011 at 11:39 AM.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #2 
soleilvie

Managed to get this shot of the top of his head. It's not velvet is it?

I just changed some of the water and added some salt. Not sure what else I can do...
Old 06-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #3 
newbie32

You might want to float a small cup in his tank or lower the water level so he can get air easier.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #4 
Creat

I suggest taking him out of the tank and keeping another fish in their maybe to keep the cycle and getting him into a quarantine situation where you can change his water everyday and keep him near the surface... try to lure him to eat with frozen bloodworms or daphnia he looks very thin... you could also add epsom salt to maybe see if that would help 1tsp/gal
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella...he looks pretty bad......as Creat suggested...get him in a small QT container so he doesn't have to struggle to get air and then start Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes...

Use something small that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a water temp of 76-77F-this container needs to be clear, barebottom and attached to the side so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter...cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for his labyrinth

Pre-mix the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water, add the tannins to steep and use this water for the 100% daily water changes for the next 10-14 days....but first make a couple of 50% with this pre-mixed treatment water every 2 hours X 2...then start the 100% in 24hr

I wouldn't worry about food right now...once he start to feel better and become active again...then offer small frequent feeding.....

Don't give up too soon...but don't let him suffer either......if he doesn't respond to the treatment within 3 days or he looks to be suffering...do what is right by him......proper euthanasia and disposal....but lets hope he responds....good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #6 
soleilvie

Thank you for the suggestions. I have moved him to a smaller container and will start the treatment. I have some API aquarium salt - will that work?

If it comes down to it, what is the proper way to euthanize him? This is my first fish so I'm really not sure.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Just because your tank is cycled does not mean you don't do 30-40% water changes every week. This could be something caused by bad water quality.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt IMO will work better than aquarium salt.....you can usually find Epsom salt in the pharmacy dept at most stores....and its pretty cheap......

The fasted most humane way to euthanize a small fish is also the hardest way for some hobbyist and that is decapitation with a sharp knife......another ways is to use an overdose of Clove oil that can be found at some pharmacies or freezing.......
Proper disposal is by burying , burning or wrapping in newspaper and throwing in the trash...Never Flush a dead or dying fish...it is cruel and can have a negative impact on the environment.....
Old 06-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #9 
soleilvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Just because your tank is cycled does not mean you don't do 30-40% water changes every week. This could be something caused by bad water quality.
I've heard so many different things. I've been doing partial water changes every 2-3 weeks for the past year (since my tank was cycled) but only now is my fish showing signs of illness.

:/
Old 06-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes it is just a matter of time......even in cycled tanks without lots of live plants you can get a build up of nitrate and high nitrate can lower the fish immune response and also sudden changes in nitrate can shock the fish when you make large volume water changes....you also have DOC's that build up over time that can be harmful to fish and many other things that happen naturally in the tank and since it is a closed system the only way to control it....is with regular water changes....