Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #11 
Luimeril

i don't have any new pics of Zidane, and yes, it's an FFIX ref. :d too bad he's the complete opposite of that Zidane! xD my Zi's pretty shy, but LOVES to bubble nest. :d i'll have to get some new pics of him, to show his ray curling. Dx

Indian Almond Leaf should help Mr. Fishy's fins out alot. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #12 
DormDrax

Omg he"s gorgeous!
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #13 
Nexangelus

Update: I noticed upon close examination of a fin uncurled by the current, that he has 3 or so white dots, slightly larger than salt. I'm thinking it may be a very mild case of ick, as one of my tetras now has similar dots. I'm not sure if this could be causing the curled fins or lethargy, but I'm hoping it is. He's still having to use an unbelievable amount of energy to move. It seems to even move at a normal pace he has to flap his pectoral fins full force as well as wiggle his tail to build momentum. I think the reason he may have been getting sucked in to the filter was because he's just too weak. Anyone heard of ick causing that? I've read that it can cause lethargy, but no literature has really elaborated on it and more indicated it was a sign of any sickness. Wasn't too specific. He's eating just fine, ate 3 pellets an hour or so ago. I'm a bit worried about him, but I'm really hoping he'll make it. It would be such a shame for such a beautiful fish to die. :(

Luimeril - Awesome choice of names. Makes me want to name mine after some FF character. Zidane personally bugged the heck out of me... I'm glad their personalities aren't too similar! Would love to see the pictures when you take them. Almond leaves are probably the best way to go. I used to use them for breeding when I first got in to it, but a few spawns in (and wallet a few inches thinner) I cut them out. They do wonders for fins though - not sure about curling, but it's worth a shot!

DormDrax: Why thank you! I'm quite fond of his coloring, too. Steel-blue happens to be my favorite color. If part of his tail wasn't cellophane fin-rot grown back, I'd say he was perfect. Still one of my favorites I've ever owned, visually. Where can I see pictures of yours?
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #14 
KayDowson

I vote for the name Jackie Sheen
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #15 
KayDowson

nd btw he is a beautiful little fishy... if u breed lemme know if you get some that pretty and i wouldnt mind takin a few off your hands... lol
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexangelus View Post
Update: I noticed upon close examination of a fin uncurled by the current, that he has 3 or so white dots, slightly larger than salt. I'm thinking it may be a very mild case of ick, as one of my tetras now has similar dots. I'm not sure if this could be causing the curled fins or lethargy, but I'm hoping it is. He's still having to use an unbelievable amount of energy to move. It seems to even move at a normal pace he has to flap his pectoral fins full force as well as wiggle his tail to build momentum. I think the reason he may have been getting sucked in to the filter was because he's just too weak. Anyone heard of ick causing that? I've read that it can cause lethargy, but no literature has really elaborated on it and more indicated it was a sign of any sickness. Wasn't too specific. He's eating just fine, ate 3 pellets an hour or so ago. I'm a bit worried about him, but I'm really hoping he'll make it. It would be such a shame for such a beautiful fish to die. :(

Luimeril - Awesome choice of names. Makes me want to name mine after some FF character. Zidane personally bugged the heck out of me... I'm glad their personalities aren't too similar! Would love to see the pictures when you take them. Almond leaves are probably the best way to go. I used to use them for breeding when I first got in to it, but a few spawns in (and wallet a few inches thinner) I cut them out. They do wonders for fins though - not sure about curling, but it's worth a shot!

DormDrax: Why thank you! I'm quite fond of his coloring, too. Steel-blue happens to be my favorite color. If part of his tail wasn't cellophane fin-rot grown back, I'd say he was perfect. Still one of my favorites I've ever owned, visually. Where can I see pictures of yours?
And how is Hugh Charlie Colbert today? I'm glad he's eating but a little bummed he's still having trouble getting around. Maybe those beautiful fins are just too big for him. And maybe with them curled around they don't move the water as well. Poor fella, you know what they say about no beauty without some suffering. Also, you could be right, he's just too weak right now. Perhaps once he gets some quality grub in him and he can move around and build up some muscle and stamina, his swimming will improve.

Ick could cause lethargy but then he'd probably be lying a lot on the bottom of the tank, not trying to still swim around. Wait and see if he develops more spots because just three white spots could be part of his markings . . .
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #17 
Nexangelus

Good evening, Sakura! Hugh Charlie Colbert is actually looking pretty good tonight! You're definitely correct on the fins, the ventrals sometimes get caught in the pectoral while he's swimming. It's almost like he's too limp to control them or something. I quelled my usual drill instructor feeding morals today and fed him 5 pellets. I hear people say "my fish seemed hungry" all the time, but boy, was he ever hungry. Never in my time fishkeeping have I seen a betta scarf down pellets with the fervor of a cichlid.

His behavior is still... Odd. He's restricted himself to the wall farthest from the filter and surfs up and down, apparently using the wall to propel himself. He does this all day, with only short breaks to sprawl his body out over a plant, or to take a gulp of air. It's quite hard to describe in text, so I'll take/upload a video to show you later tonight. How long did it take for Charlie Sheen to appear somewhat normal? A week or so? Hoping the same is true for this little bugger. ;)

Good call on the ick. I just thought it strange that a tetra showed similar markings. As a preventative measure, I upped the temperature a bit but refuse to medicate until I can be certain.

He's going to be pretty excited... I ordered about 100 dollars worth of plants tonight for his tank, which arrive on friday. Tons of hairgrass, baby tears, glossostigma, vals, wendtis and a bacopa australis. I'm pretty sure once all those are planted my tank will have changed to "heavily planted" status. Hopefully he likes it! :)

How are you and your fish doing this fine evening, Sakura?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Hate to tell you but I think it took Charlie Sheen a little longer than a week . . . but then, Charlie couldn't stay out of trouble and the fact that HCC is staying away from the filter is a good sign. He's only slightly less crazy than Charlie. At least he's eating, that's good. A betta who won't eat definitely has something wrong with him. What kind of pellets are you giving your guy? High protein will help him build up his strength. Then when he's all bulked up and huge we can call him Hugh Charlie Colbert Schwarzenneger.

You can always try a bit of aquarium salt if you aren't already. It may help with his slime coat and all and keep those beautiful fins as healthy as possible.

Uhhh, you know you wanna leave room for the fish in that "heavily planted" tank, right? I can picture HCC now. "Help, I'm lost in the forest!" And then he'll be leaving a trail of pellets so he can find his way out again. But he'll be thrilled. If he has trouble swimming a lot of plants to prop himself up on will be super. He can just belly slide from plant to plant.

My fish and I are fine this lovely evening, at least now that Sherman has regained bladder control . . . that is, swim bladder. He gave me quite a scare last night when he suddenly got so buoyant he couldn't swim down. Poor guy, he tried so hard because he loves to swim on the bottom but he'd get all tired and just float back up, hitting the top of the water like it was a ceiling and just go limp. I confess I may have panicked a little but I kept the frantic screaming to a minimum as it was past 1 in the morning and people were sleeping. So Mr. Sherman will be checked in at the Sakura Hospital Tank, where he will receive a treatment of epsom salts and foods to encourage the passage of waste. Let this be a lesson, oh ye fish people: even if your fish isn't bloated, he could still be constipated.

I did feel bad because I brought home a new girl last night and then Sherman went all floaty butt so I couldn't give her as much attention as I normally would have. He's such a diva, that Sherm.

Ookay, think I've made this long enough. Is there a word limit to posts? 'Cause I'm about to hit it.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #19 
Nexangelus

I was giving him Hikari pellets. I've had them for a while, since the days when I was ignorant as to how low-quality they actually were. I normally feed bloodworms, but he won't take them yet. Any high-protein suggestions?

I would try aquarium salt, as it is my personal favorite remedy, but salt and plants is a big no-no in aquariums. Kills them off pretty quick! I do believe a temperature raise has fixed the problem though!

Oh, right... I forgot I was supposed to leave room for the fish. There may be an inch or two for him to swim around in there! I've never tried a planted aquarium for a betta... Really curious to see how it goes!

How is Sherman today? I've never run in to any swim bladder problems, and I sure don't want to after that description! Bravo on keeping the panicking to a minimum, I probably would have been spazzing out. I get so scared when anything happens to my babies. That hospital (WAY better word than quarantine, by the way!) sounds pretty nice... Is there a spare bed there? What are you feeding him to help his tummy? I've never had an ounce of luck with peas before, and haven't heard of many other options.

Oh, a new fish... How exciting! I'm getting the hang of this forum stuff, so I'll check through your posts to see if there's any pictures. You have great taste in fish from what I've seen!

Before I give the update on HCC, I have something very important to say. After much contemplation, sweat and tears, I've thought of a name. Get ready for this one... It's going to blow your mind. You should probably sit down if you're not already. Ready? Wolver-sheen. Brilliant, I know. Okay, so it's not that good, but in my sleep-deprived stressed state I thought it was kind of amusing last night.

He's doing great today though! He's figured out his own way to swim without using the pactoral fins. Uses his tail and body to propel himself. His breathing seems much more steady, he's exploring the tank (even near the filter!) and doesn't lay around so much. I think he's starting to get better. Here's to hoping those fins uncurl. He'll look so magnificent once those heal/straighten up. No more little white dots, either!

How is Sherman feeling after spending the night at the Sakura Hospital Tank? Has he made a boom-boom yet? How is the new fish adjusting?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #20 
Sakura8

What, he won't eat bloodworms? My, he is unusual. I haven't met a betta who didn't like a bloodworm. But I'm sure he'll come around. For high protein . . . Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits (I think only Petsmart sells them) have 42%. Omega Betta Buffet Pellets are really good also with 42% but I've only found them online here in CA. New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets have . . . I think it's 39% but the first two ingredients are fish so that's good. I feed my littlest girl *deep breath* New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm Sinking Pellets. Whew. They're super super tiny so she can get her little mouth around them. They have 48% protein.

Oh yeah, forgot about plants and salt. Could be why I only had one plant left in my tank . . . I just redid it and put several more plants in so it should be interesting to see if I can keep those alive.

I think er . . . ahem, Wolver-Sheen will love all the plants. Sherman spends all day just weaving in and out of his, like it's a stroll in a park or something. And he only has a few compared to what you have planned. :D Wolver-Sheen's a lucky guy . . . okay, is that really his name? It's so corny but I like it. An unusual name for an unusual fish.

Mr. Sherman is swimming normally and hating his rather barren hospital tank. He's also mad that I put up a sheet so he can't see the pretty little lady in the tank next door. Last thing I need is for him to get his groove on while he doesn't feel well. Much as I like bubblenests and as much as I'd love to see a decent one (in his regular 10g tank, he always built them right in front of the filter so they looked pretty lousy), I'd feel bad having to destroy them with the daily water changes. I did put his favorite floating betta log in with him but for some reason it keeps spinning around. He likes to swim into it and stare out the other end at me but then it spins around and his little face starts panicking. "What's going on, the world is spinning!" I fed him just the teeeniest bit of pea and it seemed to help 'cause he dropped a few bombs later that day. Then I got some frozen daphnia to help keep things moving which is good 'cause the peas got accidentally tossed in the trash. I made sure to buy frozen peas without any salt added so maybe that's why it worked? And the piece I gave him was so small I almost lost it before I could get it to the tank. The daphnia helped today so I guess it's time to clean out the tank again.

New fish but right now . . . don't compliment my good fish taste until you've seen the poor thing. ^_^ I'm really not even sure what color she is yet; right now she's kind of just stress-striped and looks like a dark zebra danio. And some of her fins are pretty ragged. But I get the feeling she's a survivor because she takes everything in stride. My first female Goldikova was the skitteriest thing and freaked when I just looked at her. She's finally settled down now, two weeks later and has turned a lovely golden-red color, like a good chestnut horse. But Rags to Riches just swims around with a kind of "come what may" attitude. She'd been at Petsmart for a long time, I could tell by the condition of her cup so I think she developed kind of a defeatist attitude. But I can't wait until she destresses and I can tell what color she'll be. I'm hoping blue or green since both my fish are red, but every now and then she looks like she might be turning wine-colored. Oh well. I'll love her no matter what. She's also a little jumper, tried to escape once already, the silly girl.

I'm so glad to hear uh, er, Wolver-Sheen is doing better. Huzzah! I wonder if he maybe spent so much time cramped up in a little cup that he never really learned how to use those long fins of his? Because of their unusual shape I imagine they take a different method of swimming to get around and it seems like the smart little bugger's figuring that out. I think you got yourself an amazing betta, a triple threat if you will. He's got looks, personality, and apparently he's got smarts too. Man, I'm getting my next betta from your pet store . . . oh wait. CA is a leeeetle too far from VA. But I think if I ever try breeding, I'll have you ship me one 'cause it sounds like your shop gets good stock in.