Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #29491 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Aww, hope you come on as often as you can, I need to blame you for all my fishy woes.

Too bad I can't blame you for my sore throat
Let's see . . . it could work. I teased Scuzi too much, made him bite his tail, you yelled at Scuzi and now your throat is sore from yelling but since I started it by teasing Scuzi, you can blame me as the root of the problem. XD

Steph,
*hugs* I try not think about how two of my cats are 15 and another is 12.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #29492 
Silverfang

I was lost when Tippy had to be put down, she was 18, I had selected her when I was 3 and a half. Even mother had to wait a while to tell me, she just knew how upset I'd be. We had to have 3 put down in a 2 month time frame. They all just got sick. But they lived long happy, healthy lives.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #29493 
gossipgirl1031

I'm not looking forward to the day when it comes time for Jack. He's like my son. I got him when I was 18, way before the kids came and has been there for me through a lot of hard times. He's my special boy. the kind you maybe only get once in a lifetime.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #29494 
Sakura8

Now that I think about it, my kitten boy Frankie will be 8 this November. He was so darn tiny and helpless now he's this big grumpy thing who sleeps all the time. Did I mention grumpy? *glares at grumpy boy*
Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #29495 
gossipgirl1031

Sakura-Is Frankie the "baby"? It's hard to believe that time goes so fast with them. I still remember the first night I took Jack home and he slept by my head. And the shock at the vet's office the next day when they told me he was going to be such a big boy ;)
Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #29496 
Sakura8

:D Yeah, Frankie is only the second cat I've raised from a tiny kitten. The first was when I was in 2nd grade. He grew into a giant tuxedo boy who topped out at 25 lbs at his peak. I have two girls who were maybe 6 months old by the time we formally adopted them but Frankie was 2 or 3 months at the most. I used to stuff him down my sweatshirt and carry him around outside with just his little head poking out (he came to us in November, it was cold). Now if I tried that he'd shred me alive.

All the rest of our cats are strays and we don't really know the ages of any of them. I think . . . I think Gremy's former owners said he was 4? One of his former owners paid him a visit the other day and he ran away from her. I feel kind of bad about that.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #29497 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Basically, this family of bacteria, the vibrio bacteria, is a bunch of nasty flesh-eating bacterias. There's a form that can infect fishermen with open wounds and cause such fast tissue necrosis that amputation is the only way to stop it.

He says the only treatment is medicated food for gram negative bacteria, so food that is medicated with metronidazole or kanamycin. This often doesn't work though because the fish don't eat. Tetracycline may help as well. Isolating all sick fish immediately will help prevent a full-blown outbreak
Is it contagious? How does it spred? The last time butterbuns had any contact with the fish below was back in oct and I think she was taken out of the soriety before sushi showed any symptoms. I think Butterbuns was in the breeder tank at the time. I lost her and Luck within the same week anad lucky died due to wounds caused by butterbuns

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-07-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #29498 
gossipgirl1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
:D Yeah, Frankie is only the second cat I've raised from a tiny kitten. The first was when I was in 2nd grade. He grew into a giant tuxedo boy who topped out at 25 lbs at his peak. I have two girls who were maybe 6 months old by the time we formally adopted them but Frankie was 2 or 3 months at the most. I used to stuff him down my sweatshirt and carry him around outside with just his little head poking out (he came to us in November, it was cold). Now if I tried that he'd shred me alive.

All the rest of our cats are strays and we don't really know the ages of any of them. I think . . . I think Gremy's former owners said he was 4? One of his former owners paid him a visit the other day and he ran away from her. I feel kind of bad about that.
Aww! Almost Jack's size too! Jack is the first I've raised from a 9 week old kitten. Hard to believe now that there was once a day when I had to supplement him with KMR since he was UNDERweight. Now his new food is very low calorie and he's losing weight faster than I am. Jack would go everywhere with me as a baby, on my lap in the car. When he got too big to fit behind the steering wheel, his trips out ended rather abruptly. They shouldn't age. They should stay just how they are. Past the kitten stage is okay-rough first year with Jack.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #29499 
Sakura8

Tiki: To other fish, yes. I think whether or not YOU can get it from your fish would depend on the strain and your state of health. The one that causes cholera in humans is Vibrio comma. The one that can cause flesh-eating disease in humans with suppressed immune systems is Vibrio vulnificans. Apparently, you can also get that disease from eating raw oysters.

Uuhm, basically I think you should be safe because you don't have a suppressed immune system or scirrhosis of the liver. Nevertheless, if you have any open wounds on your hands, you might want to be careful putting them in the fishwater. If you develop any ulcers on your hands that don't heal, see a doctor.

Last edited by Sakura8; 01-07-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #29500 
Sakura8

Gossip: None of my cats have ever really liked riding in the car, much to my dismay. I've always wanted a cat that you could take for car rides. I tried it with Frankie for a while. Put him in his harness and took him with when my dad would run to the auto parts shop and stuff like that. But he'd start to hyperventilate. And then after one of them peed in the car, my parents told me no more cats in the car unless they're in carriers or diapers. Ooops.

Jack sounded like he was such a cute kitten!

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese