Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #35621 
Sakura8

Tiki, nitrates of 40 are getting to the toxic stage. It's interesting that Prime doesn't neutralize the ammonia in the tap water. But from those readings and knowing you have ammonia in the tap, I'd say the tank is cycled already. o.O Why did your tank cycle so fast but my stupid 55g is still unstable?

And yes, most of the available dojos are golden dojos but the body looks more peachy to me. I have gravel right now but I need to switch to sand since I heard they like to burrow.

Congrats, Silverfang! I'm glad you found a nice place.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #35622 
djembekah

tested all my water params on the big tank, and i feel like its not even trying to cycle. there's always between 0-.25 ppm ammonia, and everything else stays at zero. its fish in- what should i do?
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #35623 
Amphibianite

So Sakura, I sent that lady and email about the Platies again. I should be getting some this afternoon. I sent her the link you gave me to sexing them, here is a bit of her reply.
"I pulled up the website! Wow! I never knew I could sex them. There is a definite difference visible with the small fry. I'll do my best! "

So hopefully I will be getting 2 males and 4 females if all goes right. Apparently there has been a lot of interest, but I was first so I get first pick haha.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #35624 
Sakura8

Amph, cool! With males and females, you'll have fry yourself within 6 months, probably.

Bekah, how often do you do water changes? Cycling fish in means you always need to have at least .25 ppm ammonia until the nitrites start to show up. Test the water and only do a water change when the ammonia gets above .25 ppm. Don't worry, I did the exact same thing when I tried to cycle Sherm's 10 gallon. I was so worried about him being exposed to ammonia that I changed the water too often and took out all the ammonia that was needed for cycling.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #35625 
djembekah

well for a couple weeks i changed 5-10 gallons every few days. but i havent changed it in a few days- it has no lid yet so it evaporates, so the last time i did anything was just to add like three gallons, which i think i need to do today. i kind of want to add Reuban, but idk how he'd feel about that- i'm worried its too soon. but i also hate torturing him with the stress of the 1 gallon water changes u.u he's gotten reeeeealllly skittish.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #35626 
dramaqueen
Banned

Out of curiosity, you don't need to add anything else when doing a fish in cycle, right? The fish provide enough ammonia?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #35627 
Sakura8

Okay, so for the big tank, test the water every 2-3 days and only do a 25% water change when the ammonia tests above .25ppm. If you do too big or too often of a water change, you won't have ammonia to cycle with.

For Reuban, my best advice is to get a small gravel vacuum. This will alow you to suck out water and poop without having to remove him. You can drain the tank to about 1 inch left (90% or so) and he can stay in the tank. Or you can scoop out about 90% of the water and use a turkey baster to suck up the poop. Either way, you don't need to remove him as long as you have some way to get the poop out. A water change every 3 days is fine.

EDIT: DQ, no, you don't need to add anything if you have enough fish and you don't do a water change, the fish will provide the ammonia. You can add bacteria supplements but those don't put ammonia in, just the ammonia-eating bacteria.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #35628 
Amphibianite

Sakura - thats what I am hoping for actually.
I am thinking about starting to breed other types of fish besides just betas. I do have a store I can supply and may be a nice little income factor for me.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #35629 
djembekah

oh that's a good idea. the only little gravel vacs i can seem to find still seem a bit to long, even for my 3 gallon. i am half considering starting to do 100% on the 3. but i also dont want to haul the silly thing around...sigh all the dilemmas.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #35630 
Sakura8

My guy Sherm is now in a 3 with an apple/mystery snail and I do about 90% with a gravel vac twice a week or so. Carrying a full 3 gallon around would be virtually impossible, it's heavy! The vacs are long but I do manage to get it to work, by sucking on the end until I just about pass out. You could always saw off part of the rigid tube part at the end to make it shorter.

EDIT: Amph, yeah, breeding other fish sounds cool. If you find a pair of relatively hard-to-find fish, the fry would probably be in demand at your LFS.

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese