Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 03:00 AM   #3911 
fightergirl2710

@Tisia! Yay! I'm so happy you got him! He's gor-ge-ous! I'm so happy.. and so jealous... but so happy!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #3912 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
Hi guys! Speaking of timid, my HM guy is timid and curious XD.. It seems all I do is give him heart attacks!
lol that's how my blue gourami is, once when I lifted the hood up it slid back and made a loud noise and the poor thing hid in the amazon sword D:I felt so bad, she is growing more confident though.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #3913 
Sakura8

Fighter - Seems like timid fish are the order of the day. Riceball leaps (I can literally see the surface water move) and rockets around his little 2.5g until I'm sure he's going to crash every time I so much as point at him. Then he hides behind his thermometer with one eye poking out to watch me.

Copper - Aww, I'm sorry I asked because now I'm jealous. I'd love a big cichlid someday. They have so much personality, just like bettas. I'm glad they're both doing well. They must be so cute, all small like they are now. I bet it will be fun watching them grow up.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #3914 
fightergirl2710

Heehee poor gourami XD Yeah my guy is almost the same, he'll come up thinking.. You has worms? And see that I don't and run as fast as his fins will take him lol!

Quote:
Fighter - Seems like timid fish are the order of the day. Riceball leaps (I can literally see the surface water move) and rockets around his little 2.5g until I'm sure he's going to crash every time I so much as point at him. Then he hides behind his thermometer with one eye poking out to watch me.
Yup same story here! The watching with one eye and all..
Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 AM   #3915 
Sakura8

Your HM at least comes up for worms. I have to drop Riceball's down to the bottom while he's at the opposite end of the tank, otherwise he freaks out. I can't imagine how many people must have jiggled his cup or tapped on it while he was at the petstore all those weeks. And because he's all white and cellophane, it's hard to see him so when he goes shooting off it's like there's a ghost in there making the water move.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #3916 
Sakura8

Fighter, how do you feed your sorority? Do you just drop in a bunch of worms and let them fend for themselves or do you try and feed each girl individually?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:27 AM   #3917 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post

Copper - Aww, I'm sorry I asked because now I'm jealous. I'd love a big cichlid someday. They have so much personality, just like bettas. I'm glad they're both doing well. They must be so cute, all small like they are now. I bet it will be fun watching them grow up.

lol, I hope you get the chance to have one at some point XD There's smaller species you could get so you wouldn't need a gigantic tank, like my firemouth should top out at 6" and that's if it's a male, the females are slightly smaller. The jack Dempsey get a little bigger with the females being about 6" and the males able to grow to 10". They already look slightly bigger XD They should grow about a quarter inch every month for 12-48 months until they are 4-5" because they are still young. after that they will start growing slower :)
Quote:
Fighter, how do you feed your sorority? Do you just drop in a bunch of worms and let them fend for themselves or do you try and feed each girl individually?
Not directed at me, but I also have a sorority so I'll answer too :P

I watch to make sure all my girls eat, some of my girls eat too much because they steal others portions, then I give them a little more and the other girl will steal it again O.O So annoying lol But I at least make sure every girl gets at least two pellets, and if I think they didn't get enough I'll feed them later in the day a smaller amount. I also give them brine shrimp, everyone gets enough :)

so not exactly fending for themselves, one of my girls was looking skinny so I took her out for a couple days and fed her really well before putting her back.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #3918 
fightergirl2710

Poor guy, he must have been traumatised or something :(
I have to be careful to drop the worms in front of Peaches first otherwise she jumps! Then i put small pinches wherever each girl is.. Usually, feeding time is one time they don't fight, so it works for me. :)
Old 07-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #3919 
Sakura8

Copper - I either didn't know or I forgot you had a sorority. :p Yeah, lately I've been having a real problem with one of my girls stealing everyone else's food. She's bigger than everyone else so she just mows them down. And when I try to target feed they just jump over each other. Plus, from the top down, three of my girls are identical and I have no idea who I just fed. I do sometimes cup a girl who looks like she may not be getting her fair share and feed her in there but I'm worried it's too stressful to frequently cup them like that. Sigh, I guess all I can really do is keep an eye on them and make sure no one looks too thin or too fat.

Fighter - You are so lucky they behave. I can picture Peaches leaping around, though. :- And Goldi jumps too, she jumps at me, she jumps over the other girls, she jumps at nothing. ) And one girl ignores the food and tries to eat the bubbles that are getting stirred up by all the activity.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:44 AM   #3920 
copperarabian

I started it with the 5 females I got from NIB betta, and then 3 bigger girls from a local breeder and 1 vieltail so I havn't had it for all that long.

I have a lot of floating plants in my tank, so sometimes I can direct one female past a few of them so the other girls don't see me feeding her. I also drop the pellets from higher so they sink past the overly eager girls and my slower girls(and my gourami) can eat them.

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese