she wanted to lie on my face
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #39292 
Sakura8

Cat fur in the mouth!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #39293 
Laki

Sakuraaaa, I want Rizoo or rizzo (goodness, forgive me I already forgot) he's so chubby and he eats one treat in the amount of time Oliver would eat 3 or 4 (after chasing them across the floor!!!)

Those orange stripe cories are very cool!! Too bad they were wild caught. I don't like that idea :/ Unless there's an overpopulation which occurred naturally or a dangerous ecosystem (like, for example, someone dumping chemicals in the water and therefore wild caught = rescuing) Just my opinion. They are very neat! Does the stripe glow?? Like on neon tetras?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #39294 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea it seems like they are iridescent.
So many fish in shops are wild caught Laki.. Wild caught are more desired by experienced aquarists as tank bred fish are grossely inbred and just genetic messes (eg neon tetra).
It's not all bad, fish are only collected in the wet season, when they're plentiful due to breeding. Many hobbyists have invested money into preserving natural habitats where they can continue collecting and such.
It's like how the money you pay for hunting permits all goes directly to preserving wild habitats (in Ontario at least). Fish collecting, like hunting, is actually protecting animal populations. Fish collectors know when to stop collecting wild fish (ex the zebra pleco is no longer collected in the wild as it was in too high demand).
Sadly, it is the dry season and my fish shop is lacking all the fish I want (pygmy cories and small rainbows). Guy told me to come back in the fall. :'(
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #39295 
Silverfang

Amy ate like a pig! IT's amazing what removing fuzz does to her perkyness.

Now, if only Shelly would stop destroying his tail. Not biting, he's hyper actives and has a delicate tail. I've got him down to one live plant >.>
Old 06-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #39296 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Jeez, Silver I feel like you talk about a different betta every day.. How many do you have? :p
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #39297 
xjenuhfur

Computer won't boot. Having a panic attack. Not home ATM and can't do anything about it. Feel horrible. Fml.
Also, only fix is is to put the vista disk in and hope it repairs properly.
Literally no, other, fix. -dying-
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #39298 
Silverfang

*counting*... 9. Have to get more girls four is not enough
Old 06-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #39299 
Laki

Thanks Olympia!! I didn't actually know. My opinion was based on NO research, just personal opinion :/ And outdated at that!! I guess I always likened wild caught fish to taking lions and tigers from the wild and putting them in a zoo (which I know is not widely practised over captive breeding). I never really put much thought into how over bred fish are that are "made" in factories to supply the trade. Hm. Okay, you won me.. It's not the same for saltwater fish is it?? Protecting the habitat in the same way collecting fish preserves freshwater fish?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #39300 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh lord no. People are much more careful breeding salt water fish. Reefs are poisoned to flush out reef fish. I would never buy wild caught salt water fish. It does sound hypocritical, but we've damaged out oceans way too much.
There ARE cases of bad practice with catching fresh water fish. Otos are often considered sensitive, because they are most often caught with cyanide put in the water to flush em out (what they do to reef fish). Pretty sure it's cyanide, anyways bad. Makes the fish swim up gasping for air. Yea, that's totally what I want in my tanks.
However we are changing our methods. Especially with new fish being found, like celestial pearl danios. We did take a few too many at first, but hobbyists do jump to trying captive breeding. Which again returns to the inbreeding problem (you really can't keep track of who's who if they all look identical).
It's an endless loop going back and forth. Really, I think fish should be tank bred, but it's important for people, especially breeders, to keep bringing in wild fish to help the gene pool. Wild adult fish are sturdy guys, after all they survived the perils of the wild pretty well.
But a lot of amazon and Asian systems are starting to get some benefit from hobbyists as we change our ways. It'd be sad if we ended up trying to replicate ecosystems in our tanks that no longer exist in the wild.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese