Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #39321 
Sakura8

I'm hating insomnia.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #39322 
Silverfang

Hah! Classes cancelled, there for first class and then called on water pressure.

Guess Portugal Cove road is a goner.... AGAIN
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #39323 
Sakura8

Eh? Was it a flood or did a water main burst or something?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #39324 
Silverfang

No water pressure. The city has been dealing with a broken main since the fall. Thought they had replaced it, but the road is torn up again.

The pipe was only put in in the 1890's.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #39325 
Laki

Silver, your school is closed ALL the time! In the winter it seemed every other day there was water pressure issues.... Shame that it's on such a busy main road bc they NEED to close down the road and fix thhose old pipes!
Got to sleep in today it felt great! Haven't been able to in over a week. Now I have to spend the day cramming 6 chapters of science into my brain @-@
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #39326 
Sakura8

Oh well then. I suppose it's probably time for a new one then. Any time a pipe predates WWI, it probably would be considered uhm, antiquated. Although California has a few gas pipes that predate WWII. And because one of them exploded and took out half a neighborhood, the gas/energy company my dad worked for before retirement got in HUGE trouble (8 people died). Even though it was only partially their fault. Really shoddy recordkeeping that dated back to the 40's.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #39327 
Laki

I hear Cali is all done up modern now to withstand earthquakes (earth science 101) so I bet they would try to have all that replaced. WW2 is bad enough but a good chunk of St. John's still predates 1900 o.o
My last house was insulated with newspapers.....
Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #39328 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

There's a church near my house dated 1876 I think. O.o We have lots of old buildings. Nothing compared to the stuff you see in Poland though. xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #39329 
Sakura8

Laki, yeah, a lot of the buildings in Cali are earthquake-proofed but since the records for the natural gas pipelines are old and not well-kept, no one realized there were so many pre-WWII pipes. Apparently it had a hairline crack and the pressure just caused it to burst. Now begins the time-consuming process of finding the rest of them and replacing them.

It's pretty interesting because in CA and most of the west coast, something is considered old if it was built in the 1920's or 30's but then I go back to New England and see all the old churches and libraries that were built just after the Civil War and it's like, "CA doesn't know old."

All those old countries have such amazing history. It's sad to think about what's been lost because of wars, though. Some truly ancient history has been lost in Iraq because of the war there. :(
Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #39330 
Laki

Museums of antiquity have been looted in the middle east :< No more artifacts etc from periods of antiquity. Shame.

East Europe still has that "look" of medieval tranquility to it. I'd love to go to Ireland! Poland and Austria look very nice too. It's a sin that there is so much dramatic history there though with the holocaust and damage from both world wars. I would like to visit but seeing pock marks in buildings from guns would haunt me a bit I think.

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese