Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #39711 
Tikibirds

*limps in*

got the shelf, got the aqueon-versa-lid thing in 30 inch, now I need the expensive light strip and substrate and plants.

SInce I am gonna be dividing the 1o g again, I guess I don't really need a light for it. Last time, the males keep falring at their reflection and bitting their fins.

Quote:
Need a medium sized tank to house a pet garter snake that won't stop growing...he's in a 10 gallon now and I need something bigger. I have some 40 gallon tanks that I would be willing to trade as well.

NOT FAIR. I want to trade for a 40 gallon but my mother would kill me. But I am wondering why can;t he USE the 40G himself
??

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-16-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #39712 
Silverfang

thanks! yes, it will be my new sorority.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #39713 
Tikibirds

I am wondering, how much of a PITA is it to use play/pool sand? Does it make the tank cloudy for a long time when you add in water/siphon?

And is seachem floro-something the one people had issues with? I can't decide >.<
maybe I should do potting soil with sand?

Hey silver - what do you have in that tank of yours you posted the pic of?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-16-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #39714 
Silverfang

play sand! hence the cloudyness. If you mean what fish, non yet, I'm gonna plug in the heater before I go to bed, I'll test the water tomorrow and if it's safe, I might start acclimating the girls, if not they'll be put in monday.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #39715 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Guys I think Sakura is picking up Sparky on Monday! Hehehehe.
Also my girly shrimp is wiggling those arms on her belly, like she was arranging for something. Unless they always do that. :(
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #39716 
Sakura8

What did I miss? 102 F in the shade, been trying to stay as still as possible so as not to pass out.

Tiki, I use Seachem Flourish as a fertilizer, works fine. I personally have never done the potting soil/sand route. I tried a plant substrate (Seachem Fluorite) and hated it but that's just me. Made my tank a muddy mess.

Laki, I'm not sure but I think assassin babies have to stay burrowed under until they get bigger because otherwise the parents eat them. o.O

I'm tired of protein films on all my unfiltered tanks but I can't filter them. That's what happens when you get too many small tanks. :(

EDIT: Olympia, Wednesday. :( My parents don't fly back in until late Tuesday. I want my electric catfish! I just need to find him a pipe tunnel that doesn't float. Is there a difference between black PVC and white? I have tiny white PVC pipe tunnels for little fish that sink but the big giant black PVC tube is floating.

Last edited by Sakura8; 06-16-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #39717 
djembekah

when i put the sand in my tank, it got all cloudy. so i took all the water out and put down foil and plates and dumped water back in on those. helped a lot. as far as cleaning goes, it can be to cloudy if the siphon is too close to the sand and makes a mess.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #39718 
Sakura8

Yeah, Tiki. A good tip when using sand as a substrate: lay a big ziplock bag down flat on the sand (if you are filling it up for the first time) and pour the water onto that. Lay it flat on the surface of the water if you have it filled and are doing a water change. You can also use plates and things but really, plates only work if you are filling it up for the first time.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #39719 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The smaller tubes are probably a lot lighter and need less water pressure over them to weigh them down. Unless the smaller tubes just sink immediately, then I don't know.
You can try burying half the PVC into the sand so it's got more weight keeping it down.
And Wednesday, darn! :(

I've never had a problem putting sand down. I threw more sand into a filled tank even and it never made a mess. xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #39720 
Sakura8

I put down just the bare minimum of sand, just enough to cover the bottom. I didn't want to have to poke the sand all the time with Sparky in there, in case I annoyed him. So there's not enough to bury the pipe in. I want to try a white PVC pipe but I have to buy a piece that's like 4 feet long. Bah. Still looking at hamster tubes. I wonder what his diameter will be when he's full-grown (hopefully stopping at 12"). I'm afraid some of the pipes/tunnels I've looked at will be too narrow.

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese