Yuuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #39933 
Silverfang

Morning folks.

And how about button Tiki?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #39934 
Laki

Button is a cute name since it looks like one :)
Mo, plagerising means you took somebody else's work without asking/crediting them. In order to use their work without asking them directly, you need to paraphrase. This means that you read what they said and then (without looking at their source) re-write the info that you took from it in your own words and then cite back where you got the info using "(. ..)" they're called parentheticals. It sucks and it's sure a lot more work but you wouldn't have been banned from the other forum. Unfortunately they don't teach you these things in elementary and junior high school. I didn't even really learn about it in high school!! I only found out in university. Here's a quick guide in MLA, I can help you further complete your breeding guide using it so you don't get into more trouble!
http://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/ll..._citation.html

ughtprohudsyy.. Woke up with a headache which will be a migraine soon :/
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #39935 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Uh, they don't teach about plagerisim at elementary? They came down on us with that back in 5h grade, with "improper citations", and taught us how to properly make a works cited in 7th grade. Now highschool is strict on it because if you are caught plagiarizing here, they will kick you out of the university course you did it in, and can fine you. It's no laughing matter.
I feel like my schools are really ahead of things for some reason. Silly French schools.

I love all my courses, lol. Math, the sciences, English, all fun and games. Next year I'm doing advanced functions and calculus, along with the 3 sciences. 5 heavy courses. English I'm doing in summer school so I can have a spare period. Then there's religion and French, not my strongest subjects. There's no formulas in religion, which makes it difficult.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #39936 
Laki

Your school system sounds awesome Olympia!! I'm coming to Ontario to do my teaching when I'm done!! My school system is depressing. The teachers all whine about getting no money and the curriculum keeps everybody together regardless of what they learned so the teacher has to make alternate lesson plans to accommodate the slower kids and advanced kids .. There's no inbetween. It's depressing but my 8 year old niece can read at a higher level than some of the grade 6s (11-12 yr old) that my bf taught.
Yea my writing class was all fun and games! We played journalism and went out to "report" on crime scenes that the theatre class acted out for us. Meanwhile, the other writing class learned APA and MLA citations!! lol
My university does not take plagerising lightly either. First offence students are suspended and there are fines and evictions depending on the extent of the plagerising.
If I had my time back I would have preferred to be in french immersion.. I hated my french class (teacher) and therefore refused to write the exam. Trust me, NEVER do that!! lol
Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #39937 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ontario seems pretty advanced then. O.o High school and elementary teachers are being now taught about different types of learning.. Eg there are people that learn by listening, people that learn by reading, people that learn by seeing (usually artistic people), and the teachers tell us this, there's about 7 types of learners, most people generally learn one way the best but do learn several ways. The teachers have to make lessons that cover all aspects of learning, in a lot of cases, lots of demos for visual learners are done.
The teachers here always rant that we'll never be this babied in university, true.
Your school does sound off. Though I've never known of anyone skipping a grade in elementary level, it does happen in highschool and I have a few younger people in some classes. In highschool we have courses split into college and university level, depending on where you plan on going.
Ah, French. I started learning it the same time as English, won the excellence award for it graduating 8th grade. Now this one high school French teacher has brought me down. I don't have her next year, thank god. If I actually do well next year, I'm considering going to Ottawa U to continue my French studies, but we'll see.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #39938 
Laki

Yes, the system here seems to have given up on slower kids. They don't seem to realise the importance of teaching different ways to get across to different kids. There IS no one way to learn!! Jeesh, everybody knows that!
I hope your system catches on here! lol
People used to skip a grade. I was in grade 3 with a Chinese student who they put ahead to grade 5 or 6.. o.o He made a scary jump! lol But from what I hear he was totally fine. He also used a pen in my mad-libs book but I couldn't be mad at him.
I was kept behind in grade 7 but for no reason, bc my friend who did less work that I did went to grade 8... The system is messed up!! lol
I plan on being the BEST history/english teacher evurr. Except I don't want to teach Eng :/ Only history.
Wow, Olympia you're smart and you certainly have your head screwed on right! Keep it up and you'll be whatever you want to be! I wish I had that kind of motivation in school! It's actually kind of ironic that I'm going in for an education degree now! lol
Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #39939 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Lol, even some International Baccalaureate kids have had to give me props. I'm not the smartest person out there, but I'll ask questions until I hear "I don't know" or "you'll learn that more next year." I have to say my parents did shove a lot of realist into me though. I'm not from a "oh you're so awesome!" family. So school and my parents even it out I guess? :p

Ah, history. I know a bit of history, but if I have to put a date on something, I fail. The only part of history I've ever been interested in is the holocaust. Bought a book about it in 5th grade (too young to be exposed to that?!). It was stories of children who survived and was really touching and then I just learned hardcore about all holocaust related things.
You know, much of it did happen in my "home country" (yes I was born in Canada, but erg!), so I do feel more connected to it. I visited a camp last time I was in Poland and it involved a lot of confusing feelings. My great grandpa was also a part of the Polish underground (YEA!), and as far as I know he was taken by soviets after the war?! Does that sound right to you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #39940 
thekinetic

I learned about plagerism in elementary school, about the fourth grade I think. What gets me is the lack of teaching cursive writing then and now. I actually had to teach myself years later!

School from what I see from my nephews is CRAP. Their only concern is stardardized tests and their prep. Then they cater to people who don't speak english (despite this being the UNITED STATES) and people who are just generally stupid causing the smarter students to lose out. Then to make things worse the second you show any individualality you're still ostrisized by your peers, and despite their asanine campaign against bullying, they still do nothing! You want to know you take care of a bully, here it is:

1. You fight back!
2. If you're too small or weak you've got two options
A. You find a weapon and beat the bully the senseless.
B. You find someone bigger or a group of people to beat the bully senseless.

It's the way we did it, heck I helped my friend with bully problem. I've always been big and mean looking and his bully took one look at me just staring at him on the bus and when he got off he ran home. No more problem!

Now as for language, besides the fact it should be an elective only subject, I took German for two years. I refuse to learn spanish based on principle.

Oh I could go on and on how the education system should be revamped.

Last edited by thekinetic; 06-19-2012 at 09:45 AM.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese