Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #40201 
MissRockyHorror

O.o so I went to 2 pet stores (I was trying to find females for my sorority, seeing as how I now only had 4 0.0) I walked out with 2 CT girls and 2 DbT boys and the boys were only 4 bucks each O.o apparently petclub near my house now carries them, and CTs
MissRockyHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #40202 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I wonder if the Canadian pet smarts are getting new stuff. I'd love to get some double tails in. No wait, I have no more room for betta. Nevermind. Stay away, tempting fish!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #40203 
Sakura8

kinetic, I can try that. The only thing I had big enough to soak it in was a 6 gallon rubbermaid outside. It did get kinda warm in the sun . . .

My Petsmart has also rearranged their bettas. They are now hanging from little cup holders. I AM a bit ticked off that they are getting in more and more small vases as "betta tanks." I didn't see any new betta types at my Petsmart yet.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #40204 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Apparently ADA aquasoil lowers your pH to 5.5-6.5. I really hope this is true and it stays that way. May be worth $30 for 20lbs if I can actually have fish I like. O_O Gonna go ask on TFK if anyone uses it. I know LBF does but her water is already acidic so doubt she'll know if it stays that way. xD
Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #40205 
Sakura8

Which one are you using? I used amazonia and it did lower the pH but I also didn't have it in the tank long enough to see how low it got. I hated it and returned my bag but that's just me. I've had issues with all plant substrates making my tanks too muddy.

According to my ADA catalog, Amazonia II has a greater chance of lowering the kH and pH than Amazonia I. Africana also lowers the pH.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #40206 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I was looking at Malaya, I think. Just cause I like Asian fish so I was like "well this must be for Asian fish!" Not my brightest moment. Anyways I don't have anything ordered, don't have a tank for this. But considering it for my "master tank" that I may get around Christmas. ;)
How long was yours muddy for? I have seen people setting up the black ADA soil and it is almost perfectly clear while they do it!
The thing I'm worried about is longterm stability. I hope it's like crushed coral, keeps things nice and steady for ya.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #40207 
Silverfang

ooh ooh! USe my water!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #40208 
Sakura8

It never demuddied. -___- So many water changes. Granted, I probably didn't fill the tank correctly. When working with plant substrates, spray the surface with a plant mister before filling. Apparently it keeps the dust from kicking up. I did not do this.

I honestly can't say how long the altering effects might last. I know that unlike crushed coral, the organics in the soil break down over time and in some cases the whole substrate needs to be replaced after about 5 years in very heavily planted tanks. Also, you can expect a significant ammonia spike because of the heavy organic load in the soil.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #40209 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, I know about the ammonia thing. I guess I COULD change the substrate once every 5 years on one tank. Especially if it had some licorice or frail gourami. Totally worth it. :3
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #40210 
Laki

Oh water chemistry.. Goes over my head o.o
I was looking at the 5g today though but I nowhere to hytrfdfgtre put it -_-"
Just cleaned up the assassins and gave them and the bettas bloodworms. It's been a while, everybody will be up late tonight thinking about their treats! Lude needs it to make him nommies go away.
Whoever has the floating drfitwood, can you tie a brick to it? That will hold it under the water until it logs.

Matt:"why are the snails in 2 different cups?"
Me:" because these ones have Nintendo names and these ones have ww1 and ww2 names" (spongebob eyes)
Matt: @-@
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese