Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #4111 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I don't know that much about African cichlids, I see them at petco all the time, and the American cichlids get a different tank(all baby's).
Ya, we have a section for African Cichlids, and another section of SA Cichlids... 9 tanks total for each type. We too have a tank for each breed, and a tank of "mixed" lol

My peacocks were on for 2/$5 the other day, I could have cried!!

Off to look up SA's lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #4112 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Ya, we have a section for African Cichlids, and another section of SA Cichlids... 9 tanks total for each type. We too have a tank for each breed, and a tank of "mixed" lol

My peacocks were on for 2/$5 the other day, I could have cried!!

Off to look up SA's lol
My favorite south American is the Jack dempsey :) I just bought another and also a fire mouth who I am really loving. They weren't very expensive since they are so small.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #4113 
Pitluvs

But don't they grow super big?!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #4114 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I don't know that much about African cichlids, I see them at petco all the time, and the American cichlids get a different tank(all baby's).
I think some of the African cichlids can get waaay more aggressive than the SA cichlids. Like the mbunas and the zebra cichlids (metriaclima zebra). You could consider the kribensis, they get only 4." The "Julie" cichlids stay small as well (Checkered Julie or julidochromis marlieri, 5.5" and the Ornate Julie or julidochromis ornatus, 3.5").
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 AM   #4115 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I think some of the African cichlids can get waaay more aggressive than the SA cichlids. Like the mbunas and the zebra cichlids (metriaclima zebra). You could consider the kribensis, they get only 4." The "Julie" cichlids stay small as well (Checkered Julie or julidochromis marlieri, 5.5" and the Ornate Julie or julidochromis ornatus, 3.5").
Me? haha

The ones we picked are all the same temperament, it took me weeks of research to figure out which would get along, and which could live in the tank I wish to have peacefully together (along with appropriate numbers to keep them calm). The Yellow Lab is the most peaceful along with the OB Peacocks. The Cobalt Blues are a bit more aggressive but it kept in the right numbers, they can live happily. All these types grow to 4" max each, which helps with the smaller tank. I don't want 6"+ fish.. no Sir E!

I have been warned about Kirbs being a little aggressive, but they are classified with the dwarf cichlids, which I wouldn't pair with regular Malawi/West Africans. As for pairing with the Rams, we thought about it but they want almost $20 each at the LPS... Rams are $8 and so are Rainbow Fish. Soooo it's a price thing too lol
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 AM   #4116 
copperarabian

Quote:
But don't they grow super big?!
Jack dempsey males grow to be 10" and the females grow to b about 6". Once they reach 4/5" they start growing really slowly and when I graduate I'm giving myself a 75+ aquarium to myself as a present lol By then they should be good size to move into a larger tank.

And African cichlids are more aggressive then south American

*edit*

American cichlids are usually less active then African cichlids from what I've read also, so they need more room.

Last edited by copperarabian; 07-18-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #4117 
Pitluvs

Copper, you're some lucky!! Unfortunately, I'm beyond all that stuff and have so many responsibilities that I could never afford one of them tanks. Everything is more expensive here (55g tank used is still $200) and 50g tank in pet stores are $250. Now I know why I never really looked at the SA Cichlids!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 AM   #4118 
Sakura8

Yeah, dwarf with Malawi, not a good idea. Don't rams have a lifespan that's even shorter than a betta's?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #4119 
copperarabian

Quote:
Copper, you're some lucky!! Unfortunately, I'm beyond all that stuff and have so many responsibilities that I could never afford one of them tanks. Everything is more expensive here (55g tank used is still $200) and 50g tank in pet stores are $250. Now I know why I never really looked at the SA Cichlids!
Wow, That sucks, just for the tank O.O I'm expecting to pay about 500-700 for mine, but that would hopefully include a nice stand. Once I have a stable job and am doing well I also want to get a tank for lionfish, I'll need to have a good job though XD I have 4 years to improve my photography and impress the people who will hopefully hire me.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 AM   #4120 
Pitluvs

Ahh kinda, Blues live up to 2-3years in great care. Bolivians (which I like more but can't find) are 3-5 years. Honestly, with my tropical tanks, anything over 5 years is a little much for me. I have to worry about my pleco, I don't want to worry about a bunch of fish 10 years down the road lol

Tags
0_o, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese