Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #41431 
Tikibirds

is mopani wood bad for snails? Its turning the water amber colored but does it lower the...er...PH or hardness or whatever as well?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #41432 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Nawh, they're not catfish. They're considered "ancient fish" which basically means they're really old and don't fit in anywhere else.

Here's a gross photo showing the suction cup. It's apparently the two ventral fins that are fused together. It lets them hang onto rocks in harsh currents.
http://www.runwildtv.com/wordpress/w...2/Goby-005.jpg
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #41433 
Sakura8

The baby bushynose plecos at the LFS were soooo cute. They were the size of a nickel.

EDIT: Tiki, I believe any driftwood lowers the pH and hardness to some degree. It depends on how hard your water was before. If it's really hard, it shouldn't lower it to such a level that the snails would be harmed. But if your water is softer, then you might want to add some kind of calcium tablet or something for them.

Olympia: That's pretty cool. According to my fish profile book, the brachygobius genus is pretty disputed right now because so many fish look alike. But supposedly the brachygobius nunus is the most commonly encountered "bumbleebee" goby. The book recommends up to a tablespoon of AQ salt per imperial gallon. But like I said earlier, other people have kept their bumblebees in freshwater and done fine.

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-06-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #41434 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I almost bought one of those today. But then I saw the gobies. xD
Tiki, the pH should lower a bit, the brown is what lowers the pH.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #41435 
Sakura8

500 Freshwater Aquarium Fish, edited by Greg Jennings.

"The genus Brachygobius is in great need of closer study, since several similar-looking species appear under a number of (often disputed) names. Brachygobius nunus, for example, is regarded by some as synonymous with B. doriae, while some people doubt the validity of the most frequently encountered name, B. xanthozona. In addition, there is B. aggregatus. All species have the same basic requirements and characteristics."
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #41436 
djembekah

baby bns! i reblogged a pic of a whole bunch nomming on cucumber the other day. adorable.

speaking of BNs...mine has been very protective of an algae wafer today. the betta girls will go for it, then she goes and waggles her tail at them until the go away. Fern really wanted that wafer though. Kept sneaking up behind the plec and stealing bites xD

there she goes again!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #41437 
Tikibirds

OK, cool. I wonder if its low enough to have cory's.

that thing is creepy looking
Old 07-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #41438 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hm. Well the only way to tell some of the species apart is by counting their scales- fish from different regions have different amounts in their rows of scales. Maybe not enough for separate species, but at least subspecies. Whether they can produce viable offspring would also be important, but these aren't bred in captivity.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #41439 
Tikibirds

i want a violet goby
Old 07-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #41440 
Silverfang

I want my fish to stop getting sick! I think it is a tumor for Scuzi. He has bouts of energy, but he's tired. I also think he's getting older... probably 2 years if you include the time I've had him and however old he was before I got him. Not to mention a near miss with cold water >.> (that had to be a year ago!), and all his tail biting.

And the wall of death I rescued him from. God knows what that added to his life. Good news he still eats like a pig. Epsom, lots of it to help him along.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese