Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #42281 
TheCrabbyTabby

What is Oliver? A cat? a dog? Vomiting could be indicating a variety of things, from a mild case of nausea to cancer. I would go and have him checked by a vet ASAP. They will most likely prescribe anti nausea medication and a mild dog or cat food formula. Usually lamb or chicken with rice. Better yet is to cook some unseasoned, boneless, skinless chicken breast strips and plain long grained rice yourself, but that can be annoying to have to do it every time you need to feed Oliver.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #42282 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Does he get hairballs Laki?

I love when bunnies come to the vet's office. They are so cute. Too bad many people don't bring them. :(
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #42283 
Laki

Thanks! Oliver is my cat. We don't know his background bc we took him in only 6 months ago. He seen the vet when we got him and had him checked for leukemia and feline aids or something (negative!) and the vet looked him over. They wouldn't take blood bc he freaked out on them and they decided to wait and let him get better first (severe worm infestation)...
He has only been vomiting the last few days. Not a lot but yellow. He drinks a lot of water off his fountain and eats holistic food. I don't trust my vets opinion on food bc they're paid to endorse crappy food (I've done my research).. oh.. Also he don't eat chicken or people food. He only eats peanut butter and he hasn't had that in weeks. I'll give some hairball stuff to move through his system in case he's just got a blockage.

But what other signs would I be looking for if he was terminally ill?? I know cats are really good at hiding their pain.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #42284 
TheCrabbyTabby

Well, I am no vet or vet technician, but I do know that lethargy, increased thirst, and weight loss, coupled with pale/and or tacky gums (this means that when the gums are pressed with a finger and the color doesn't come back, or it feels tacky like day old abc chewing gum), and skin tenting (that means the skin holds its shape after taking a fold of it and pulling it gently a little bit away from the body) are signs of severe illness. The tacky gums and skin tenting are signs of dehydration.

Really though, the vomiting could be something as simple as stress. Cats are prone to vomiting when super stressed. The color you described sounds to me like he is throwing up bile. That could be a problem. Continuous vomiting of bile tends to erode the esophagus over time (think of those heartburn and acid reflux commercials) and is probably not at all comfortable for him either.

I would at least call the vet and ask what he/she thinks. You don't have to take his suggestion of cat food (I know that vets usually are more inclined to peddle their own brands than the good stuff) and the chicken and rice food is really more geared towards dogs.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #42285 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm pretty sure yellow vomit is stomach bile..
You might want to check his poopies, just to see what's coming out the other end. And if he'll let you (cats ), try feeling his belly to see if you can find something odd, or if he cries out at any part of his tummy being touched. Any change in behavior, especially hiding out more, or seeking high places, could also be bad.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #42286 
Laki

Thanks guys! I'm such a noob on cats! lol Could stress be as simple as him wanting to go outside? He always wants the windows and he sleeps on the windowsills and stuff and sometimes he cries at the door :/ I know we can't take him outside either bc when he comes back in he's like feral for hours.
I'll feel his belly (he's spread eagle on the floor now!) and his poops were fine last time I checked. Do you suggest a good cat forum? I'm on one but it's not active and the members aren't very friendly.
He's not dehydrated but he does drink a lot. He has since we got him, he loves water and licking up water in the sink and watching water in the shower and that's the reason we got him the fountain! lol So he could have his own little water fountain to watch. :p
No change in behavior really.. Thanks for your help guys! :) I will ask moar q's as they come ^-^
Edit- suddenly out of nowhere I have a thousand baby snails. lol assassins won't eat them T-T
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #42287 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm not an expert. I'm just repeating everything I see the vet do every time we get a sick cat in at work.
I haaaate forums. Everyone on every single forum seems so mean. That's why I like this forum.

I know the water thing sounds bad at first, but if he's always been like that, I don't think it's the problem.

I'd probably fast him from food for a while to give him a break.
But definitely try the hairball thing first.. Don't know about you'd but I'd hate to go running and screaming to the vet over a hairball.
Try PM'ing LittleBettaFish about him, she knows a ton about dogs/cats and their illnesses.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #42288 
thekinetic

I just got me a snail! :D But unfortunatly Magilla has him so scared he won't move. >.< Grumpy guy needs to play nice and stop nipping.

So no pictures until they chill out. -_-

But I and my parents got my niece a fiddler crab for her tank, omg if I didn't think he might nip my fish I'd get one. He's so adorable we put an agea wafer in and he grabbed it with his big claw and held it all close like "my wafer"! ^_^
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #42289 
TheCrabbyTabby

Ahh, a fiddler crab. I think they need dry land to rest upon on occasion if I am not mistaken. Sounds like a male, the way you describe the claw being so big. Males use their large claw to battle other males and entice the females. Its like they are saying, "I have the biggest baddest claw in the neighborhood. Aren't I a studly guy? You should let me be the dad to your future offspring so I can pass on my studliness to them."
Old 07-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #42290 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Fiddler crabs are social animals that need groups. They require a 50/50 land to water ratio, and only about 3 inches of water at most. They will also perish within a few weeks-months without proper brackish water.
"One crab does not a colony make."

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese