Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #42341 
Sakura8

DarkMoon said she's had them both ways, with siblings and nonsiblings. She does recommend a community of one male and many females but I imagine in a big enough tank that is heavily planted, more males could coexist. The key, I think, is setting it up so there are plants and obstacles obstructing their sightline of each other. That's what works in cichlid tanks. Each male needs a place to retreat to where he can't see the other male and vice versa.

She did say she's had the most success using a crowntail male. For me, my plakat was too active and chased the girls relentlessly. My veiltails and halfmoon didn't chase them and got chased instead.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #42342 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I can imagine individual aggression comes into play a lot.
What are the odds, I have two crowntails! But I would never subject Gilbert to my experiments long term. He's too precious. So Darkmoon had a male and females. I wonder how big of a tank though? I can imagine keeping the water extra stagnant would help, nothing pushing all those pheromones around the tank at all. And obviously very planted. Super interested in this now.

Sakura, you've tried this too? HEEHEE. But I guess yours didn't work out too well, did it? Plakat do seem like jerks. Crowntails are so sweet.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #42343 
Sakura8

DarkMoon said lik a 20gal or bigger? Uhm, here:

From her website
Can you Keep Male and Female Bettas Together?
Generally no. But studies show that both male and female bettas prefer living in groups with other bettas to living a solo life. If your aquarium is large enough, you can keep a single male with a group of 5+ females. Remember, 1 inch of fish per gallon. Do not overstock your tank. I do not suggest trying this unless you have experience with both female and male bettas and a tank that is at least 15 gallons (preferably more) with plenty of places for the girls to hide. You might have to experiment with different males/females until you get a group that gets along. Keep in mind that each betta has a personality of it's own! Some are more aggressive than others. Keep in mind that breeding is a possibility in this sort of set up so be prepared to either raise hundreds of fry or destroy bubble nests quickly. Plakat males would likely handle this better than long finned bettas since their fins won’t be nipped by the females.

Yeah, I did try it because I thought, "One less tank to clean if I can put a male in with the girls." But no. The plakat chased, the girls bit. It was an embarrassing failure. T_T

I only have one crowntail, my handicap boy, but I love him. He does seem like a sweetheart and he's never let his handicap hold him back. I've seen him flaring at his next door neighbor even though he can't move his back end.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #42344 
thekinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
What I just said applies to you too, thekinetic.
I do anyway I'm just funny like that. I have a horrible self image problem, probably because my body is so scarred from when I was fat. I sometimes remember how alone I am and sit and cry then try to forget.

It's cruel for me to torture myself imagining having someone so close to me that I can trust them to be there if I should ever fall and be there for them if they should. So I instead try to come to terms with who I am and the world and try to find inner peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Ouch. TheKinetic seems like a nice guy IMO.
Thanks! :)
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #42345 
TheCrabbyTabby

Okay. I understand. But know this. Having a significant other isn't everything in life.

I'll stop now because I know how annoying telling you these things can get and you must be annoyed by now.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #42346 
Sakura8

*hugs* Kinetic.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #42347 
thekinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Okay. I understand. But know this. Having a significant other isn't everything in life.

I'll stop now because I know how annoying telling you these things can get and you must be annoyed by now.
To me it is, love is not something I've known. It is the cause my pain, but worse my fear. I fear dying alone and worst I fear what I may become, the longer I spend alone the more distant from people I feel and I fear I may one day lose my love of people all together and then I should truely be a monster.

It may be a irrational fear but it's not one I plan on waiting to see.

*sigh* But all this talk of doom and gloom is good for no one, I'm not there yet. Besides my bettas bring me so much joy, how could caring for the little life of a fish be a waste.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #42348 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

:D
See, I always figured my boys loved being around each other, even if it's on a no touchy basis.
Okay, I definitely want to play around with betta social structures now.
I've always secretely figured a male could live with a female. Earlier today I was thinking 2 males might do well with no females around since there isn't any competition, but I don't think that's true for fishies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #42349 
Sakura8

I'm eager to see what your results are, Olympia.

I'm sorry you feel bummed out now, Kinetic. :(

EDIT: Kinetic, are you going to be okay?

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-15-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #42350 
thekinetic

I should be sometimes it's just good to talk about your fears and cry a little, it's just not good to keep it all locked up. :)

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese