Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #43521 
djembekah

lol Sakura! too funny :3 i think of my fish whenever that song comes on too xD
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #43522 
eaturbyfill

I love my goldfish. It looks like her growth has slowed down a little. I hope she doesn't keep trying to grow. >.<

Also, I've been meaning to post this for the past couple of days. I'll get this out of the way before I begin: I know buying fish that are in bad conditions doesn't help, and keeps the cycle going and stuff like that. But. I can't help but feel such sadness for this goldfish at my local Wal-Mart is huge, about the size mine is now, 4-5 inches. And it's in one of those TINY tanks they have, she/he is half as long as the tank, and doesn't have any room to swim. ): It's makes me so depressed, but all I have is the 20g my one goldfish is in and then an empty 10 gallon. I don't have the means to give it a proper home, but Wal-Mart's home is even worse. Please help? I love all fish as if they were my own, and it hurts.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #43523 
Sakura8

Elizabeth, what kind of goldfish is it? Is it a comet goldfish or a round fancy goldfish? Since comets can get up to a foot and will eventually need a tank of 50gal or more, I'd be iffy on rescuing another comet. If it's a round-body goldfish, you could rescue it but you'd have to make sure it gets enough to eat, as long-body goldfish outcompete round-body goldfish for food.

If you think you can upgrade tanks in a few years to a 75gal, you could rescue another comet. But you'd want to overfilter the life out of that tank. I mean, really overfilter. Get a canister filter that is rated for a 100gal tank and then get a hang-on-back filter that is rated for the same. If you can throw a sponge filter in there too, you'd be even better.

I speak from experience on the overfiltering thing. I thought I was overfiltered in my 55gal with 3 5" koi/goldfish. My filter was a Fluval 405 canister filter rated for 100gal. But it turns out I wasn't.

Also, if you rescue the goldfish, get Kent's Nitrate Sponge for your filter 'cause your nitrates get high fast.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #43524 
eaturbyfill

I could, but it would be a couple of years before I could upgrade, either 2 or 3. It's another single-tail like mine. >__<

Edit: I wish I wasn't so sensitive sometimes, but I can't stop worrying about that fish.

Edit 2: This may be relevant, so I'll throw it in there. In about 4-5 years, my husband and I will be moving to our own house instead of this place we're renting, and I plan to set up a goldfish pond. I don't know if I could afford a 75g since I'm going to college right now, but maybe a between a 50g and 60g in a couple of years-- then moving them to a pond another 2 years later.

Last edited by eaturbyfill; 07-28-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #43525 
Silverfang

I'm shocked... I thawed up way too many blood worms (not that the girls thought so.. the piranahs), I fed some to my baby snails... 30 minutes later not a trace of the treat, they inhaled it!

And momma blue is laying eggs... AGAIN, this is the third time in a week or so.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #43526 
eaturbyfill

I'd like to set up a pond now, but I don't see how I could move something like that. There aren't any restrictions, we could if we wanted. But then I'd have to drain it and move it, I suppose. Hm. :/ Any thoughts? Should I make a thread about this?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #43527 
Sakura8

Silverfang, your baby snails are baby vacuums!

Elizabeth, would you be open to setting up a horse trough pond like mine? That COULD be drained and moved with you. Yours needn't be as big as mine. Two comets could be very happy in a 150-200gal trough pond. You could find a good rubber trough for under $500; that way you don't need to coat a metal one with rubber like I did. This:
Submersible Pond Filters: Koolatron Crystal-Flo Complete Pond Filter System

is an EXCELLENT filter for what you would need. It has a UV light too, which will keep algae down. Your total cost, I would guess, would be $700. But if you had to dig a hole and fill it, it would be comparable in price and you would not be able to take it with you.

EDIT: What size tank do you have right now for Comet?

EDIT II: I'm finding rubber stock tanks for $300.
http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=169

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-28-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #43528 
eaturbyfill

Can you direct me to these horse trough things? How much are those? Thank you for the help.

Dang, that's big!
http://www.tank-depot.com/productdet...rt=A-ARM-10138

Last edited by eaturbyfill; 07-29-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #43529 
Sakura8

That would be a nice one because it's round. You'd probably want to check out a livestock store near you to see if they have one like that. Stuff it full of floating plants and you've got a pond. :)
Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #43530 
djembekah

so my gimpy danio who jumped out of the 29 gallon five feet to the floor, (or at least the one i assume he is) he looks fine, just misshapen and beat up. I call him Gimpy. He's so cute though <3
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese