betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #44051 
Tikibirds

*is not a fan of fish with lumpy heads*

sorry guys.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #44052 
Sakura8

Laki, the fish probably died from the water changes because she hadn't done one for a long time. When a fish lives in really dirty, ammonia-filled water for months and then suddenly all that water is changed to clean water, it's total shock. I think OFL suggests doing 1 25% the first day, 1 50% the second day, 1 75% the third day, and finally 100% the fourth day and then starting on a regular regimen of 100% changes.

I think that's a male. I've seen healthier fish at Petco. :(

Cute rats!!!

I'm not a fan of lumpy-head fish either but I like that their fry are big and they mate for life. All the cool fish are too big.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #44053 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't like the flowerhorns.. but this lump is natural so I feel better about it. xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #44054 
Sakura8

It's natural in flowerhorns too, it's just that they were linebred to have the biggest lumps possible.

I wish convicts mouthbred. Then they'd be perfect for me.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #44055 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea but if you bred convicts I think you'd have a harder time selling fry. Get something pretty.

Or get betta mouthbrooders? That one species I was looking at does well in hard water.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #44056 
Laki

You think it's a male? Wow I didn't think of that I was going to do a courtesy 100% change for the poor thing but now I don't think I will. I don't want to kill it. It's name is Meredeth or something because they think it's a female. It's in such squalid conditions, I doubt it will live much longer.
omg I just finished the last post on my women's studies course!! woooooo!!!!! Only thing is I have an exam on Friday but I'll ace it because it's open book. Easiest university credit I ever made (after supernatural folklore!)
Someone come rub my shoulders? I'm off to do some quick water changes.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #44057 
Sakura8

Olympia, problem is betta mouthbrooders want plants. I'm trying to get away from plants because I can't keep them alive and healthy.

Good luck on your exam, Laki! And . . . supernatural folklore? Your university offers some awesome courses.

EDIT: Olympia, any extra fry will be doomed. They'll end up as Sparky food.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #44058 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ohhh! Woops. Yup betta like plants.
Cichlids are the best choice then. Maybe PM Tazman about it, he knows about like, every cichlid species in the world! Maybe he has an idea for you?
Sparky food.. hehe. You want to watch them grow up with their parents watching them..... and then feed them to Sparky. I don't think you'll be able to.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #44059 
Sakura8

Haha, Olympia, don't break my resolve or I'll end up with tanks full of cichlid babies. :D But yeah, you're almost certainly right. Who am I kidding, I'll never be able to feed them to Sparky. Good thing I haven't told Sparky about the live food. Would've hated to get his hopes up for nothing.

Yeah, I talked to Taz a lot when I thought I was going to put cichlids in the 55gal. A 20gal sure is hard to fill.

EDIT:
Look at this arowana!
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ana&1344462602

Last edited by Sakura8; 08-05-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #44060 
Laki

Well memorial university offers the best folklore department in the country I think. Nobody else takes it seriously enough. I'm working on a double minor with folklore and English, I used to love folklore. Now it's a chore, the interviews and the transcribing.
The supernatural was fun though, one of our in-class assignments was to draw a ghost! lololollololol I finished with a 90 in that course ^-^
I played tetris online instead of doing my water changes... Now I'm gone to actually do them :(
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese