Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #44851 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo13 View Post

He makes me happy! I thought it was against the law to sell live wild caught fish and animals? I know it is in my state.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #44852 
djembekah

what a big cutey catfish
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #44853 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Many fish you see in pet stores are wild caught. Glass catfish, lots of pleco and other catfish, most oddballs.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #44854 
djembekah

hehe. Someone on tumblr has a rabbit snail popping out babies too >.<
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #44855 
Htennek

Location: Somewhere between rage and serenity.... if I am not there, then I must be in the coffeehouse chat.
<<--- Really happy gooner :)). My supported team just won a friendly in Germany. 4-0
Htennek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #44856 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Many fish you see in pet stores are wild caught. Glass catfish, lots of pleco and other catfish, most oddballs.
Well yeah, duh...but it is illegal for someone like you or I to do so. In order to do something like that you would need a commercial fishing license and various other permits...that would end up costing tons and tons of money. Of course the person selling wild caught fish on AB could very well have that...or the laws could be very different in their state.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #44857 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm well that guy sells fish online so he probably buys them whole sale from the harvesters or a second party.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #44858 
Htennek

Location: Somewhere between rage and serenity.... if I am not there, then I must be in the coffeehouse chat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Well yeah, duh...but it is illegal for someone like you or I to do so. In order to do something like that you would need a commercial fishing license and various other permits...that would end up costing tons and tons of money. Of course the person selling wild caught fish on AB could very well have that...or the laws could be very different in their state.
And if I'm not mistaken, only the seller would be in trouble and not the buyer? Pardon me for being kinda dumb
Htennek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #44859 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htennek View Post
And if I'm not mistaken, only the seller would be in trouble and not the buyer? Pardon me for being kinda dumb
I really don't know. I'm sure this guy selling the pleco is on the up an up.
I know in my state..It is unlawful to buy or sell anything found in the wild...ie: mushrooms,roots,berries,fish,wild game etc etc. There are some exemptions and many loop holes. Say I was to go to the river and collect driftwood or aquatic plants and sold them online. I could legally do so because the only laws on or "around" the river are for selling wild caught LIVE NATIVE fish without a commercial license. I can collect and sell LIVE fish as long as they are not native to our waters...and I can't sell them over state lines and I can't sell or possess more than 500 at a time without a permit. The law is totally different on frogs,turtles and crawfish.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #44860 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Most of our fish come from tropical countries such as Peru where wildlife is poorly monitored. However large scale harvesters will have permits and limits as to how much they can harvest.

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese