Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #46401 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think the new chatroom will be so much nicer than the old one. I don't do chat much because I can't follow and type fast enough.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #46402 
djembekah

no Olympia i like walked away to get a snack and a drink for Lucy, then i came back and it was like "your connection has timed out!" and i was like "FDJKFL;ASDLIJUAF YOU"
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #46403 
Sakura8

Well, guess it's time to feed the cats and drag myself into bed. And get rid of the hiccups.

Night all!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #46404 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Tiki, do I want to know how you got provolone in the eye?
Probably not...

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-29-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #46405 
FishyFishy89

I am a deer
a deer with awesome teeth!
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #46406 
djembekah

i want to know >:3
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #46407 
diablo13

I'm do sad :( so, I didn't see Tingle for a couple of day, but since everybody else looked fine, and was there(as oppose to eating a corpse). But yesterday I got worried, so I did a water change and lifted the driftwood. He was dead, it looks like he had some sort of white fungus on his gills :( he was my favorite fish, RIP.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #46408 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
So, your saying that a 4 year old can do water changes, test the water when needed, and dose the appropriate medication to the fish when its sick? Most 4 year olds I know also get tired of animals after a while, and move their attention elsewhere, leaving said animal to be neglected, or to be the parent's job of caring for reluctantly.
Yep that's what I'm saying. The best time to teach is when the student is young. A 4 year old is perfectly capable of responsibility, It's up to the parent/adult to teach the child. I don't let my kid medicate fish...her fish haven't needed any medication but if they did I would do that myself...and as I did it, I would use it as an excuse to educate. She does her own water changes as well...once a week she takes out 2 gallons of water in her 5 gallon tank...she has her own bucket,vac and glass magnet. I check her aquarium daily as I do my own and she has yet to skip out on her responsibilities. I just hate to think that someone would think bad of me if I took my young daughter to a pet store and bought her a fish.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #46409 
Laki

My experience with kids is 4 is too young for most. My niece wanted a betta sooooo bad when she was 4 or 5 and took good care of it but then got bored. The fish chewed up its tail and survived some things getting put in the water (I think she sprayed kid perfume on the water because they were playing a princess game) so the fish now lives in a community tank in the living room.
Meanwhile, it's just that bettas are not the pet for her. She loves cats and dogs and rats. She plays with her mom's rats all the time and loves coming to visit Oliver , my cat.
Not to say all kids cannot handle fish. I hope the water buckets are not too heavy for her though!! I know my turtle tub was too much for me and I ended up extending my back problems over the 12 years I kept the turtles. Mom didn't involve herself at all.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #46410 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I hope the water buckets are not too heavy for her though!! I know my turtle tub was too much for me and I ended up extending my back problems over the 12 years I kept the turtles. Mom didn't involve herself at all.
Nah..they're small buckets....small enough she can handle them without making a mess and big enough that she doesn't have to make a bunch of trips to do water changes. Th only issue we have now is that sometimes she falls asleep and forgets to turn out the light...usually 2-3 times a week I hav to go in her room and turn the lights out on the tank...not a huge deal but it's still part of the responsibilty. I was going to get a timer for her tank but I'd like her to learn to remember for herself. Our biggest issue when she first got the fish was feeding time...she wanted to feed them to much to often...but I put a dry erase board on the wall above the tank with a picture of a clock on it...she knows that when the hands on the drawing looks like the hands on the clock on her wall it is time to feed to fish. I measure out her fish food weekly and put the food in those little "Monday-sunday" pill cases....all she has to do is open the lid and dump it in.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese